bad JURASSIC 5 news

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.publicenemy.com/pb/viewtopic.php?t=36111&sid=1talk of breaking up. i'm pretty sad because these are the dudes who taught my group how to be a hip hop group. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh well.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh theres gonna be a lot of sympathy here.

to be honest, their show was prob one of the best live hip hop shows ive ever seen.

• When Chemist left I knew it was only a matter of time.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    when the ep first came out in 97, we were in high school and just reaching the peak of blazing. we'd drive around, get high, grub, and listen to music... that was one cd in heavy rotation.
    then my friend got them to perform at our after-prom the next year
    i stopped checking for most of their material after that but i'll always have fondue memories

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    When they released a single with Dave Matthews on the chorus I knew it was only a matter of time.

LA hip hop lost another one

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i'll always have fondue memories

???

???

???

fondue = tasty

fond = pleasant

fawn = young deer

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i'll always have fon-

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

to be honest, their show was prob one of the best live hip hop shows ive ever seen.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

???

fondue = tasty

fond = pleasant

fawn = young deer

fonz = AAAAAAYE!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ayo nobody dips lady fingers sponge cake
    into a creamy chocolate sauce like Akil!!

I saw them in London about three years ago... it was the most live a hip hop crowd has gotten in my eyes... But I was high as shit too

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    When Chemist left I knew it was only a matter of time.

I like J5, but even Power in Numbers was going in a downhill direction (Acetate Prophets excepted). Shit just got stale, it happens to everyone at some point. Good that he left though, his new record is the best stuff he's done since Quality Control.

• Charli 2NA is the man. I met him at an Amoeba's signing years ago. Super friendly.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    where a "why must i cry?" graemlin when i need one???

• where a "why must i cry?" graemlin when i need one???

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jurassic 5 was one of the reasons why I made the transition from J-Pop to Hip-hop during my adolescent years. I listened to Quality Control on my boombox which just rested on my carpet, and my Chinese roommate would be "What is this garbage music?", while he listened to his overproduced Chinese pop songs with fervor.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just saw these guys play again last night, every bit as amazing as the other times I've seen them. Such a great live show.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I blame dave matthews band. Theres just no coming back from that. Cut Chemist knew the deal.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Yup around 98 they were killing it, playing that Kalimba and Marimba thingy
    to recreate The Heath Brothers and Shelly Manne sample tracks was amazing!

I blame dave matthews band. Theres just no coming back from that. Cut Chemist knew the deal.

No. They just werent going to thrive & survive doing "retro" HIPHOP for their entire career. Shit was good in the 90's when cats wanted to return to the roots.
    Cats boxed themselved in. Im a fan that realized their shortcomings.

• I blame dave matthews band. Theres just no coming back from that. Cut Chemist knew the deal.

No. They just werent going to thrive & survive doing "retro" HIPHOP for their entire career. Shit was good in the 90's when cats wanted to return to the roots.

"retro" old school/throwback music is what they are known for. i think they should have stuck with that sound rather than the scott storch/ dave matthews thing. but what do i know. peace, stein. . .

Ya that last song that was the ad song for Target or some shit was mad wack.

They got too weak.

"retro" old school/throwback music is what they are known for. i think they should have stuck with that sound rather than the scott storch/ dave matthews thing. but what do i know. peace, stein. . .

Should they have stuck w/ that feel? 5 more albums of CC4/TT3 cloning? I like it but what do the kids think?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    http://www.publicenemy.com/pb/viewtopic.php?t=36111&sid=1

talk of breaking up. i'm pretty sad because these are the dudes who taught my group how to be a hip hop group. peace, stein. . .

I believe they will get together again in 2009, each one of them having finished their soloprojeczh, to return with the HEAT, e.g. playing "One Love" on the Kalimba while synchronizing over a raer drumbreak...or whatever they used to do out in the park...that's what I hope for. And no Dave Matthews will ever stop this. I agree, they should have asked David in the first place. Maybe they have. This is sad.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Naw, you're both wrong...

They couldn't have been successful continuing w/the retro thing OR trying to update their approach

They had the right sound at the right time, and then that time passed...

They couldn't have been successful continuing w/the retro thing OR trying to update their approach

part of me agrees with this
    then there's a part that thinks that good musicians and artists can make timeless art and continue to push boundaries while staying true to their original style
    then there's this other part of me that wants to get twisted and get some boobies in my face read bad right about now