LIVE BANDS, WHO SHOULD I SEE?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I wanna go see a show. I've heard you guys praise Sharon Jones. I'm also interested in Antibalas. Who else is doing these really high energy shows?

Comments

• not sure where you're at, but if you in nyc definitely try and catch:

budos band
    forro in the dark
    pimps of joytime

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Thanks for those suggestions! Budos Band I definitely need to check when they come to town....Pimps of Joytime is kinda catchy too.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    not to hi-jack, although admittedly i am..but it does relate to the thread i guess...i was always curious if strutters would just list the live shows they've seen over the years, i think that would be a great read.

myself, i mostly caught live stuff more than a few years ago, and its like i'm all into a lot of different music that has anything to do with what i'm into now, though they were excellent shows. anyhow i'l list what i can remember i've seen live at the top of my head...

rage against the machine
    violent femmes
    jesus lizard
    tricky
    cardigans (they're phucking awesome, get with it)
    asian dub foundation
    weezer
    talvin singh
    zakhir hussain
    stereolab
    madlib,jay d, doom,ego,wolf
    tribe
    beasties
    ayers
    state of bengal
    a bunch of canadian groups i dont like
    cornershop

a group that i regret never seeing was cypress hill after the black sunday album, but before temples of boom

• blonde redhead put on one of the more surprisingly facemelting shows i've ever seen. that was a few years back, but...man...that was crazy. if they're still touring, check that shit out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Off the dome:

Red Hot Chili Peppers w/The Mars Volta (Oakland Coliseum)
    The Beastie Boys w/Talib Kweli (Bill Graham Civic Center, SF)
    Z-Trip w/Black Sheep & Goldenchyld (The Grand, SF)
    Mos Def w/Blackalicious (Berkeley Community Theater)
    Kraftwerk (2004 @ The Warfield in SF)
    Rock the Bells 2006 (Wu-Tang, De La Soul, Zion I, Redman, etc.) (Shoreline Ampitheater, Concord CA)
    Del w/A-Plus, Mike Relm, Psalm One (The Catalyst, Santa Cruz)
    Dan the Automator w/A.G., Casual, Chali 2NA, and Common Market (The Catalyst, Santa Cruz)
    The Offspring w/Cypress Hill & MxPx (The Warfield, SF)
    Guitar Center Spinoff / Stones Throw 10 year anniversary party (Great American Music Hall, SF)
    Massive Attack w/DJ Shadow (The Greek Theater, Berkeley)
    A TON of Jazz shows including Branford Marsialis, McCoy Tyner, Joe Henderson, Bill Frisell, Paul Motion, etc.

And a lot of shows I wish I could have gone to but they were 21+.

I'm jealous you got to see Rage Against the Machine before they broke up.

Look what you started alienD!

I'm looking more for instrumental ness,

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    You definately have to see The Breakestra. They put on a killer show. A mix of classic funk covers as well as their OG stuff. They've also been adding new covers to their live show that are not on their first two mix albums. I was blown away to hear Eddy Jacobs Exchange - Pull My Coat.
    Seriously, it cant be missed. Raw funk at it's best. And I believe they're from kinda around your neck of the woods, right?

yea, sounds pretty good. I like the title "Rhode Trip".

• Dan the Automator w/A.G., Casual, Chali 2NA

this was in SF on Thursday. sorta wanted to see what Cas and AG were up to these days, but, as usual, I said fuckit.

man! how old are you son?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Dan the Automator w/A.G., Casual, Chali 2NA

this was in SF on Thursday. sorta wanted to see what Cas and AG were up to these days, but, as usual, I said fuckit.

man! how old are you son?

The Automator set was suprisingly weak, he had a live band, an MPC 500 hooked up wirelessly that he walked around with, and you can't knock A.G. or Casual, but on the whole it seemed unrehersed, and Dan spent most of his time messing with his in-ear headphones. Common Market killed it though, definately a group worth checking out (their DJ and producer, Sabzi, is one-half of Blue Scholars if you know who that is.)

Yeah I'm 19, and that's not the typical SoulStrut age-demographic but not many folks my age listen to what I do. I've never come across anyone my age who digs, though I'm sure they're out there. Another side note, don't want to blow anyones cover but any other Strutters in that 23 and under age-group?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    arcade fire
    man man

i know i know pitchfork, but great musicians, great to see live.

greatest show ive ever seen live was STP at rolling rock town fair. saw them the year before with rage against the machine as well.

• Osaka Monaurial was the dopest concert I ever saw.

Even better than Sharon Jones.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    If you get a chance Yuichi, Amp Fiddler is putting on some of the best live shows that I've seen. I'm fortunate that my location has allowed me to see Amp many times over the years, and his shows get better every time. he did a show in ann arbor with Nomo a few years back, that was a great combo. That's the only time I saw Nomo, but if there shows are anything consistent with that show, you should check them out also.

• Osaka Monaurial was the dopest concert I ever saw.

Even better than Sharon Jones.

Peace
    Hawkeye

Word?! I've heard these guys are

got a couple of their 45s and they real nice...also on the international front:

The New Mastersounds!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    FLIPPER

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Osaka Monaurial was the dopest concert I ever saw.
    The New Mastersounds!

Gotta co-sign on both of these.
    I was at a gig not long ago with both of them in the line-up. One of the best Ive ever seen.