70's Cult Films - a start

Size13Size13 52 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• Who has seen this?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You've got the James Gang cranking it out through the whole thing. Elvin Jones, yes that Elvin Jones, plays a hard hard cowboy who, after killing someone, proceeds to oust the James Gang's drummer from his kit and blaze a solo.

That blended with its almost Jodorowsky-esque surreality make it an all time favorite.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Slap Shot rules! The sequel with Stephen Baldwin sucked, though. I like the review for Quest for Fire...

"Quest for Fire is one of those movies that inspires the oft-used and dumbest line critics will ever come up with: it's a "realistic portrayal." How in the hell would anyone know this--the movie takes place 80,000 years ago! Usually that shit line is reserved for war or inner-city movies, but everyone was ga-ga'ing it after seeing Quest for Fire. I got news for you--it was a fucking bore. A tribe's fire goes out. No one knows how to re-start it. A few of the tribe (including Ron Perlman--uncannily recognizable through his make-up) go out to find some more fire. They do so, and kidnap Rae Dawn Chong, who ends up inventing something more important than fire--the blow job--when she tries to sooth one of the tribe's penile boo-boo's. The movie looked good--I'll say that much. But it was a hard go for over an hour, no matter what snoot critics tell you."

• Slap Shot rules!

The Hanson brothers crack me up

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

and what's the deal with the rocky horror picture show and Tommy. I don't get it. That shit is

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I am very much a member of the cult of the following 2 films, which in combination basically sum up the West Bank New Orleans neighborhood that I lived in from '76-'84...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I am very much a member of the cult of the following 2 films, which in combination basically sum up the West Bank New Orleans neighborhood that I lived in from '76-'84...

Both are on my desert island list.

• Slap Shot so captured what minor league hockey was like in the mid 1970s it was stunning. One of my top 5 movies of all time.