So I'm DJing for the first time this week..

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
and I'm just wondering if any of you mufuckaz got any tips or advice on stuff I might have overlooked. I already scoped out the place and know the deal on everything so I'm covered on that. I think I'll be okay as long as I control my drinking which may be the hardest thing to do. Any advice?

Comments

• i'm having de ja vu

• make sure you have a power strip and rca-quarter inch cables if you're bringin your own gear

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Any advice?
    Keep all the assholes and groupies away from the DJ booth.

• dont forget your headphones

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    make sure you have a power strip and rca-quarter inch cables if you're bringin your own gear
    im bringing my own tables because the tables over there are shiiiiiiiiiiiiity and i know there's a power strip there already. im thinking if im bringing my tables, i might as well bring my mixer too. there's a shitty numark there that i haven't used before but aint like im scratching or anything.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    don't forget 45 adaptors

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    don't forget 45 adaptors
    microwave

• - make a checklist
    - make sure your check list includes:
    1) sexyback
    2) "some hip-hop"
    3) "something i can dance to" b/w the "something more dancey" remix
    - bring CDs or mp3 player to plug into your mixer just in case something dumb happens and nothing works
    - bring back up needle(s)
    - promote. promote. promote.
    - make sure girls are there. make sure to make them dance.
    - introduce yourself to staff - door people, bartenders, etc. make sure they know your name, and make sure they know who's you're people. be nice to them. i like to ask them if they'd like to hear anything before the night gets started.

blah blah blah

ps. don't forget your dj gloves
    pss. GOOD LUCK!

• don't forget 45 adaptors
    microwave

not a diss, well maybe a diss but don't get your feelings hurt.

i think it's a little sad that people who never DJayed out before are jumping into it with microwave. you could still rock it though, one of the people i DJ with owns just 3 crates of vinyl but he still kills the parties so it doesn't really matter in the end.

• don't forget 45 adaptors
    microwave

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    don't forget 45 adaptors
    microwave

not a diss, well maybe a diss but don't get your feelings hurt.

i think it's a little sad that people who never DJayed out before are jumping into it with microwave. you could still rock it though, one of the people i DJ with owns just 3 crates of vinyl but he still kills the parties so it doesn't really matter in the end.
    nah, i know exactly what you mean but shit just isn't practical anymore (especially for commercial stuff) i got into djing 5 years ago (tables were the first thing i bought when i got my first non-shitty job out of high school) and i still buy vinyl. i got microwave about a year and a half ago (it was supposed to motivate me to actually start playing out but i am one unmotivated muthafuckah) and that's about it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    don't forget 45 adaptors
    microwave
    Never used it before but wouldn't it be a good idea to bring a back up crate?
    I've read on this board about how that shit (microwave) would crash and that emergency crate saved the night from being ruined.
    Maybe someone who have been in this situation could break it down even further.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    stuffs
    good shit, thanks. im bringing 4 Microwave records, a backup set of needles (these current ones are probably on their way out already actually), a discman, ipod, and cables for all this shit. music-wise, im covered. hawaii is pretty safe as far as that goes.

as far as Microwave stability goes, im fully confident in it at this point in time and the only thing i can see wrecking shit is some dumbass spilling beer on my shit in which case i won't need to worry about playing anymore cos i will be hauled off to jail for beating the shit out of them.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    stuffs
    good shit, thanks. im bringing 4 Microwave records, a backup set of needles (these current ones are probably on their way out already actually), a discman, ipod, and cables for all this shit. music-wise, im covered. hawaii is pretty safe as far as that goes.

as far as Microwave stability goes, im fully confident in it at this point in time and the only thing i can see wrecking shit is some dumbass spilling beer on my shit in which case i won't need to worry about playing anymore cos i will be hauled off to jail for beating the shit out of them.

You call this DJing?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    please elaborate

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    - make a checklist
    1) sexyback
    2) "some hip-hop"

• - make a checklist
    1) sexyback
    2) "some hip-hop"

Forgot 'that birthday song'.

• next time tell them to write their requests on a dollar bill, 1 request per bill, any donomination.

• and I'm just wondering if any of you mufuckaz got any tips or advice on stuff I might have overlooked. I already scoped out the place and know the deal on everything so I'm covered on that. I think I'll be okay as long as I control my drinking which may be the hardest thing to do. Any advice?

just have a good time!

• and I'm just wondering if any of you mufuckaz got any tips or advice on stuff I might have overlooked. I already scoped out the place and know the deal on everything so I'm covered on that. I think I'll be okay as long as I control my drinking which may be the hardest thing to do. Any advice?

just have a good time!

This is the truth. When the dj is acting all sad and pissed it rubs off on the crowd. Have a good time, and don't let little shit piss you off. Just have fun.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    stuffs

You call this DJing?

I propose that at the beginning of 2007 hatters should pull the gigantic "I'm real hip hop" stick out of their collective ass and accept that most DJs are more concerned with making sure people have a good time, rather than maintaining some ambiguous code of realness based on pleasing the marginally relevent DJ Premier.

That sort of fanboyish devotion may seeme awesome in your bedroom, but it doesn't mean shit in the club.

Good luck, Brian!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    stuffs

You call this DJing?

I propose that at the beginning of 2007 hatters should pull the gigantic "I'm real hip hop" stick out of their collective ass and accept that most DJs are more concerned with making sure people have a good time, rather than maintaining some ambiguous code of realness based on pleasing the marginally relevent DJ Premier.

That sort of fanboyish devotion may seeme awesome in your bedroom, but it doesn't mean shit in the club.

Good luck, Brian!

some more advice, have a couple of mini sets you know you will play. like if you are gonna play one song, you know what you are gonna play the next 2 or three songs. songs you know sound good together. if you have 3 or 4 mini sets like that, it helps the night go smoother, and involves less thinking. obviously you bail on the mini set if the first song clears the dance floor tho!

good luck, and have fun. i'm sure it will be a blast!

• some more advice, have a couple of mini sets you know you will play. like if you are gonna play one song, you know what you are gonna play the next 2 or three songs. songs you know sound good together. if you have 3 or 4 mini sets like that, it helps the night go smoother, and involves less thinking. obviously you bail on the mini set if the first song clears the dance floor tho!

good luck, and have fun. i'm sure it will be a blast!

This is a good call too. If you get flustered you have something to fall back on. Pre planning a whole set however is not a good look, but having mini sets is a really good idea.

Also have a song long enough to allow you to run and take a piss even if there is a long ass line. Although I guess with Microwave this isn't as much of a problem.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    make sure you have a power strip and rca-quarter inch cables if you're bringin your own gear
    ...the tables over there are shiiiiiiiiiiiiity and i know there's a power strip there already.
    still not a bad idea to bring an extra power strip.

• still not a bad idea to bring an extra power strip.

I was actually going to say the same thing. Always bring an extra ... 9 times out of 10 you need it.

• make sure you bring the power supply for your microwave!

i keep two pre-recorded mini sets (about 15 minutes each) in my itunes, one fast and one slow, in case i have to piss... i've never had to use them, but a friend of mine told me that one time he was djing at a club that was too packed for him to run to the bathroom during a record, so he just pissed in his pants right in the booth! ... if you don't pre-record a little set, you are going to want to make sure you have rapper's delight, the long version of do i do, or strafe - set it off ready to go

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    but a friend of mine told me that one time he was djing at a club that was too packed for him to run to the bathroom during a record, so he just pissed in his pants right in the booth!

I think the DJ press straight up dropped the ball on the piss stories. It's something I always wonder about, especially with those dudes like Tony Tenaglia (sp?) who play for eight hours at a time.

• I was looking for a good weed (always helps my DJing) photo and found this on the Lynn, MA Police Department web site. These guys are obviously up on their shit. Bet they still play records at the station house!

• brian, what kind of place are you playing at? what's the audience? what do you plan on rocking? how long is your gig?

• so he just pissed in his pants right in the booth!

Damn, I'd have at least tried to piss in a cup or something.

that said, bring a bed pan?