fav emo tracks?

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
yo post your top 10 emo tracks? atomsphere?

Comments

• "She Stole My Heart when She Stole my Cardigan" by Table for One

• I've recently come full circle with the emo. During high school I got into bands like The Getup Kids, Braid, The Promise Ring, Jets to Brazil, Sunny Day Real Estate, Paris Texas, Mineral--the guy at the record store convinced me to buy a Snow Patrol CD and attempted to get me to buy a Deathcab for Cutie CD, which was even too emo for me. Most of these bands are gone now, but it was bizarre to see the Snow Patrol and Deathcab CDs in the Best Buy racks yesterday. You couldn't really find these guys in a major retail store back in high school.

Some girl and I were recently talking about music that fits a landscape. She and I both like The Smiths and The Cure quite a bit, so I mentioned how their music sounds like rainy British music. She seemed to agree with that. So thinking back to my senior year in high school where I would think of the coming cityscape and independence of college, I suppose these bands appealed to me in that way. I also thought they'd score points with the girls, but that didn't really work out for me: You have to actually be in an emo band to score.

I don't know if I could listen to these bands nowadays, especially The Getup Kids and The Promise Ring, and I especially hate the newer stuff like Fallout Boy and Panic! at the Disco for their ridiculous lack of restraint, so I pop in more of the precursors to emo like The Smiths, Pixies, and Cure. I've also recently found the first Kitchens of Distinction CD, which I highly recommend.

Edit:
    I know a lot of people my age love Atmosphere, but those a little older who grew up with those great 80s bands laugh at them, if they have even heard of them. Listen to the elders!

• Maybe grab up the Cap'n Jazz anthology ... listen here:

http://jadetree.com/bands/artist/cap'n_jazz

They're pretty much as good as the genre ever got, IMHO. Other bands to check out:

Native Nod
    Christie Front Drive
    Still Life

But, yeah, I have a hard time taking most of this stuff now. However, this "first wave" stuff seemed a bit more free and inventive than a lot of the stuff thats coming out now. Seems like there's a certain sound that the new bands have all latched onto ... a sound that I find absolutely horrible.

Have a listen to my band if you feel a need to drive those crybaby sounds out of your ears. Hee hee.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "girls are meanies"- 4 pussies with bad haircuts

• I've never been feeling this term 'emo' too much. Back in the day (I really mean like 4 - 5 years ago) it was just a term minorly used to describe a certain genre of rock. Nowadays fucking everything is called emo, everyone is like 'emo sucks' and basically no-one even actually knows what the hell 'emo' means. From what I've discovered I think nowadays it basically means any band that has singing (??)

am i wrong?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    wtf the smiths?

i always hear rites of spring cited as the kings of emo, but everyone knows it's husker du.

btw--has anyone heard bob mould's DJ sets?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Maybe grab up the Cap'n Jazz anthology ... listen here:

They're pretty much as good as the genre ever got, IMHO. Other bands to check out:

Native Nod
    Christie Front Drive
    Still Life

But, yeah, I have a hard time taking most of this stuff now. However, this "first wave" stuff seemed a bit more free and inventive than a lot of the stuff thats coming out now. Seems like there's a certain sound that the new bands have all latched onto ... a sound that I find absolutely horrible.

Have a listen to my band if you feel a need to drive those crybaby sounds out of your ears. Hee hee.

Co-sign on the caP N jazz

• fav emo tracks

They're pretty much as good as the genre ever got

bob mould's DJ sets

Please kill this thread or me now.

• Please kill this thread or me now.

You listen to Bollywood.

I wouldn't be talking if I were you.

• btw--has anyone heard bob mould's DJ sets?

unfortunately yes. Husker Du was my favorite band in High School...I still love "Zen Arcade" and a lot of their stuff, I still really like them...it was a huge disappointment to hear one of Bob's , whose guitar could make milk curdle a hundred miles away,DJ sets online and hear him play a bunch of lame ass techno-house-ambient-bliss-chillout bullshit

• The term emo was first used by Guy Picciotto (Fugazi) to describe his band Rites of Spring ... basically "emotive hardcore".

So there was always a connection to the punk and hardcore scene. In the late 80s/early 90s, some of the stuff was pretty interesting. Nowadays, it seems all the bands have latched onto this particular "boys crying about how their dads don't love them enough but we're not exactly complaining about the expensive guitars and amps he bought us" sound. When I hear the skinny boys at the radio station I work at playing this stuff incessantly, I want to reach through my car speakers and smash their heads against the sound board.

I guess the sound of pretty suburban boys whining a lot just doesn't do it for me these days.

I recommend a good dose of The Stooges "Raw Power" record.

• Please kill this thread or me now.

You listen to Bollywood.

I wouldn't be talking if I were you.

My "emo" band Days Of... played a DC show with post-Rites of Spring outfit Happy Go Licky in 1987.

You have a screenname & avatar revolving around Nikes.

Please sit down.

• I guess I'm not seeing how your playing a (as in one) show with a side-band gives you any creedence, but I'll pretend it does.

Even better: Do they even remember you being on the bill?

• I guess I'm not seeing how your playing a (as in one) show with a side-band gives you any creedence, but I'll pretend it does.

My point isn't that I am King of Emo. My point is that I have experience & knowledge of the genre's early roots and I have as much authority as anyone else on this board to speak on the subject. A subject, I might add, that most of my contemporaries considered dead by 1990.

All we know about you is that you like emo, Nikes, Growing Pains, and belittling people who like bollywood music.

I think our credentials speak for themselves.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Was listening to Fugazi's The Argument the other day, and was noted by several heads how I could listen to Emo music. Fugazi isn't emo right?

Portishead's Sour times to me is rainy day british music.

- spidey

My point isn't that I am King of Emo. My point is that I have experience & knowledge of the genre's early roots and I have as much authority as anyone else on this board to speak on the subject. A subject, I might add, that most of my contemporaries considered dead by 1990.

All we know about you is that you like emo, Nikes, Growing Pains, and belittling people who like bollywood music.

I think our credentials speak for themselves.

Fair enough.

Tip for next time: With your vast knowledge--and I'm not being snide, here--maybe you could provide something worthy to the conversation instead of belittling, as you say, people who are trying to discuss it. Look, I laughed about the Cap'n Jazz comment, too, and had composed something to rag on the guy, but ultimately thought better of it.

And I wasn't belittling Bollywood music, either. I just found it bizarre that you'd pick on someone's music taste--a taste shared by many, many people--when the music you like would be laughed at in equal measure to the laughter you have for newer emo.

Really, that's my only problem with you. But I'll love ya tomorrow.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I've never been feeling this term 'emo' too much...one even actually knows what the hell 'emo' means. From what I've discovered I think nowadays it basically means any band that has singing (??)

am i wrong?

seriously, thats what it seems like..if it involved guitar and its not punk, metal or matchbox 20 shit, people will call it emo. i think the term "emo" came out after weezer came out and i dont see weezer anywhere near the socalled emo bands today, weezer fucking kills them.

anyhow, i'm down with belle and sebastian, i need to find my top 20 of their stuff and i'l make a post on them.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    uhh, I think that the original poster was asking for emo rap...

• Look, I laughed about the Cap'n Jazz comment, too, and had composed something to rag on the guy, but ultimately thought better of it.

Oh ... please ... do share! I wrote that comment, not because I actually enjoy listening to Cap'n Jazz, but because I think they represent the best of what modern people consider "emo" to be. Ya know, the fruity stuff. If you are after what all the bands are trying to sound like today, then I'd say go for Cap'n Jazz rather than the modern bands ripping off Cap'n Jazz. So, I guess I was a bit unclear when I referred to the "genre". Rites of Spring are much a much better band than Cap'n Jazz. I can still listen to Rites of Spring. But I didn't think that "sound" was what this discussion was about so I recommended what I consider to be the best of the fruity stuff.

I offered a link to my band, if you need further convincing that I don't prance around singing "Kitty kitty cat ..." all the time.

• prance around singing "Kitty kitty cat ..." all the time.

Ha ha ... I'm picturing someone looking at my new Per Welinder avatar and trying to believe that I don't listen to Cap'n Jazz. Hee hee hee hee.

• HUMMMM... it looks like pookyblow used my computer yesterday.. haha
    crackhead

• HUMMMM... it looks like pookyblow used my computer yesterday.. haha
    crackhead

Ha ha. And he had a bunch of strutters battling it out for "emo-cred".

God, we'll bite at anything apparently.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i think the term "emo" came out after weezer came out

Was listening to Fugazi's The Argument the other day, and was noted by several heads how I could listen to Emo music. Fugazi isn't emo right?

The term emo was first used by Guy Picciotto (Fugazi) to describe his band Rites of Spring ... basically "emotive hardcore".[/b]

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    uhh, I think that the original poster was asking for elmo[/b] rap...