EQUIPMENT SET UP ADVICE FROM PROS NEEDED

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
hey you guys,i've been rocking my old school set up for my musical equipment since, like, the 80's. this schitt probably could be hooked up way better than how i've been doing it. For instance, when i want to play my tape deck i have to unhook the cd recorder / player from the old 1987 reciever I still use in order to plug in the tape deck. Or i have to unplug the CDJ from the mixer if I want to listen to the VS-1880 workstation. I am completely from all of this schitt- just been doin' the same ol' schitt i'm used to doing for years. I'm ready to upgrade to a better way of doing this. Here's the basic stuff I'm dealing with that I need to hook up as best as possible-1200 turntableCDJlittle vestax dj mixervs 1880 workstationmpc 2000 (possibly may also be using my old 950 again too)cd recorder / playercassette deckI think that's about it... right now the mixer is going to an amp, which the monitors are also hooked up to. The mixer is also hooked up to that old 1987 reciever, which i run the cassette deck and cd recorder through. I've been getting it done this way forever, but there's got to be a better way to do this schitt, right? Let me know what you think, soulstrut... you doods are

Comments

• Just buy a cheap old mixer. I have an old Numark 4 channel mixer that I plug everything into. It's a crappy mixer if you actually want to scratch and mix with it, but it just sits on a shelf, hidden with all the wires plug into it, so I don't care.

I've got all kinds of stuff plugged into it. I'm not suggesting this particular model, just an older or new, cheap mixer. It's nice when you don't have to unplug anything.

If you got a 4 channel you could plug all of that stuff in and be good to go, no unplugging cables.

• Hey phil,

you might want to consider making the 1880 workstation the centerpiece of your setup. While it is a workstation, it is also a 10 channel mixer as well. Connect your CDJ and turntable and CDJ to the Vestax, then run that and the MPC through the 1880, and the outs of the 1880 into your reciever/speakers. Then just hook up the tape deck and cd recorder/player through your reciever and you should be set.

Does the reciever have the traditional record loop setup for tapedecks? If so, that might work for the CD recorder, and you can record from any source input.

Also, depending on how you set it up, you may only need the CD recorder/player for CD playback as the 1880 has all kinds of CD recording options built into it.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Hey phil,

you might want to consider making the 1880 workstation the centerpiece of your setup. While it is a workstation, it is also a 10 channel mixer as well. Connect your CDJ and turntable and CDJ to the Vestax, then run that and the MPC through the 1880, and the outs of the 1880 into your reciever/speakers. Then just hook up the tape deck and cd recorder/player through your reciever and you should be set.

Does the reciever have the traditional record loop setup for tapedecks? If so, that might work for the CD recorder, and you can record from any source input.

Also, depending on how you set it up, you may only need the CD recorder/player for CD playback as the 1880 has all kinds of CD recording options built into it.

yeah, that sounds like the best idea right there, no money involved.