Red Neck Rock

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
So I am djing a party in a month and they want classic rock and 80's. The 80's part I have down. I have some classic rock stuff. Stones and Led Zep. But I think these folks are going to want free bird and shit. Not really worried about DJing the party or what I need to do. Just wandering what are some of you favorite red neck classic rock records?

Comments

• Led Zep is a good foundation, then AC/DC, CCR, Allman Brothers, Lynrd Skynrd, Steve Miller Band,

• scoop this outta your local dollarbin....play "say what you will" and watch the heshers go apeshit!

also the first Rush LP (the only good one) and the track "working man" is a classic...

Van Halen (dave roth era), Scorpions, Judas Priest, BOC....

• You gon' need some Marshall Tucker and .38 Special. Some Allman Bros too. I can get w/ two of those bands.

• Anything by the Allman Bros from before Duane died...

Outlaws - Green Grass & High Tides

The occasional Marshall Tucker track

• You gon' need some Marshall Tucker and .38 Special. Some Allman Bros too. I can get w/ two of those bands.

This is the type of shit I need. Allman brothers I got, Marshall Tucker and .38 Special I do not have.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    CDB batches!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ZZ Top 4 Life!!!

• ZZ Top 4 Life!!!

Why you gotta make everything about Texas?

Just kidding. I will ride for ZZ Top until the afterburners fall off. Seriously.

This is the type of shit I need. Allman brothers I got, Marshall Tucker and .38 Special I do not have.

Play "Heard it in a Love Song". Play "Can't You See" towards the end of the night. Very anthemic.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Whipping Post
    Flirtin' With Disaster
    Okie From Muskogee if they start to fight

Gotta have some David Allan Coe too

• ZZ Top 4 Life!!!

I was just going through some used CDs that just came into the shop and "Tres Hombres" was in there. I thought "cool, I wanna hear "Master Of Sparks". I put it on, and oh-my-god, it was disgusting..the drums were re-recorded! They were of the "eliminator" "afterburner" gated-reverb variety..why the fuck did they do that on the CDs? It sounded like utter shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ZZ Top 4 Life!!!

I was just going through some used CDs that just came into the shop and "Tres Hombres" was in there. I thought "cool, I wanna hear "Master Of Sparks". I put it on, and oh-my-god, it was disgusting..the drums were re-recorded! They were of the "eliminator" "afterburner" gated-reverb variety..why the fuck did they do that on the CDs? It sounded like utter shit.
    What? Did they seriously re-record the drums for the CD releases? That is weird! I only have LPs so I had no idea they had done this.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The whole b-side of the Legs 12" has a 45rpm LaGrange. People's mullets will fall off.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    not quite rock, but the charlie daniels band "devil went down to georgia" is a banger for sure.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ZZ Top 4 Life!!!

What? Did they seriously re-record the drums for the CD releases? That is weird! I only have LPs so I had no idea they had done this.

I've heard about these CDs, never heard them though... the drums on the early ZZ records are CRAZY, I don't ever wanna hear these bastardized versions... how could they tarnish their legacy like that?!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    CCR batches!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    While not Redneck Rock, I think most rednecks really just like bar band music.
    So I recommend early J. Geils Band, which is basically just amped up R'n B, and plenty of classic mid-70s Steve Miller Band hits. It just all sounds like classic rock to the average partygoer....oh yeah, and as has been mentioned, PLENTY of ZZ Top. You can't go wrong.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    dukes of hazzard theme song !!!

• What do you think the redneck becky's will request? I bet it will be some new country shit I have never heard of.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    What do you think the redneck becky's will request? I bet it will be some new country shit I have never heard of.

Garth Brooks
    Bruce Springsteen
    Bon Jovi
    Shania Twain

Towards the end of the evening, play "Friends in Low Places" and "Wanted Dead or Alive" and you will be their GOD.

• What do you think the redneck becky's will request? I bet it will be some new country shit I have never heard of.

Garth Brooks
    Bruce Springsteen
    Bon Jovi
    Shania Twain

Towards the end of the evening, play "Friends in Low Places" and "Wanted Dead or Alive" and you will be their GOD.

Yeah, these two I figured were a must. Its the new shit that I don't know anything about.

• Good call. "I Drink Alone" and "One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer" are staples.

• I still swear by his first two or three records.

However, everything from 'Bad to the Bone' on is an embarrassment...