StudentStrut (Semester Strutter Related)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Where my students @? Where do you go, what do you do? How're midterms?Me: Currently taking pre-reqs for a Master's Program in Nursing at UCSF...the B.A. is already on board, but I'm changing careers from teaching special education so I gotta backtrack a little and catch up on some sciences I missed @ Contra Costa College in San Pablo, CA. At any rate, my brain reached maximum saturation today as I attempted to memorize every joint in the body, its articulation, type, make-up, as well as all the muscles and bones of the upper-body, orgin, insertion, action, landmarks, and innervations. All this the night after a midterm in physiology. I'm stupid dumb retarded right now. seeing double.how are y'all doing?

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    MAN FUCK THIS SHIT.

I AM DOING A MASTERS IN PURE MATH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA. THIS SHIT IS CRAZY INTENSE. EVEN THOUGH I GOT MY OWN OFFICE WITH A WINDOW, I STILL HAVE TO DO INSANE MEASURE THEORY PROBLEMZ FOR WHICH I DO NOT HAVE THE PRE-REQUISIT.

I SPEND EVERY NIGHT IN MY OFFICE UNTIL 9PM.

I AM THE HARDEST OF THE CORE. I ONLY DIG ON EBAY NOW BECAUSE I"M A GRAD BALLER.

I'M ALSO GOING CRAZY HENCE THE ALL CAPS. MID-TERMS NEXT WEEK. OH SNAP. BETTER GET BACK TO WORK.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    senior here @ uc berkeley trying to get my b.a. in philosophy. been pretty lazy this semester, but these papers are killing me.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    2nd year of PhD in chemistry at UVA.

i dont have no mo- tests....i grade the shits tho, and if you think its painful to take em, try gradin 200 of em every week.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Senior at Arizona State, graduating in December and doing an internship in the Intergroup Relations Center on campus ( http://www.asu.edu/irc/ ). Went on my first interview today and I gotta buy my first suit this weekend. Growing up sucks. Too bad my GPA is crap or i would contemplate getting a Masters.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Im taking music recording technology. Its pretty cool and comes easy to me cause ive been doing it on my own for about 6 years.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Taking 12 cake credits at community college. Shit is mad easy and we're on the quarter system, so it's all smooth sailing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm crashing the party from the other side...

I just finished spending the day grading 1/3rd of around 100 student papers and jesusfuckingchrist, I'm burnt the hell out already. All I can say is that the state of undergraduate writing in California is troubling, to say the least.

• posting this from my constituional law course...mad boring...parlimantary supremacy, judicial review, blah, blah...i should be paying attention...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    currently doing a Masters degree in International relations and the semester just started again

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I AM ON THE CUSP OF COMPLETING MY ARTS DEGREE WITH HONORS IN HISTORY.

I HAND IN MY 18,000 WORD THESIS IS TOMMOROW MORNING AND I AM COMPLETELY RELAXED ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• currently in 3rd year of phd program in spanish at la universidad de michigan. just taught my section of spanish 231 - mtrf 8.10-9am , reading some borges and deleuze for a seminar this afternoon, and must finish grading los ex??menes de mis estudiantes para ma??ana. here's to hoping that no one else writes 'tener divertido' when trying to talk about having fun!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Actually, I'm on the professor side of the teacher/student dyad. That said, I'm pleased that students in both my courses are doing well. It beats having to scream on them about how ill-prepared they were and how they won't be competitive in the job market if they don't know anything. I hope their efforts continue.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i just finished my MFA in advertising and now working as a freelance graphic designer. gettin' paid is cool, but i often wish i was a student again.

enjoy your time.

• All I can say is that the state of undergraduate writing in California is troubling, to say the least.

This is not just in CA. My fiance worked at the writing center while she was an undergrad at Temple and she had some stories. People that wrote papers like the L13 zig zag dude on here makes posts. Crazy shit. How the fuck do some people get into collage?

All I can say is that the state of undergraduate writing in California is troubling, to say the least.

This is not just in CA. My fiance worked at the writing center while she was an undergrad at Temple and she had some stories. People that wrote papers like the L13 zig zag dude on here makes posts. Crazy shit. How the fuck do some people get into collage[/b]?

Uh...

• All I can say is that the state of undergraduate writing in California is troubling, to say the least.

This is not just in CA. My fiance worked at the writing center while she was an undergrad at Temple and she had some stories. People that wrote papers like the L13 zig zag dude on here makes posts. Crazy shit. How the fuck do some people get into college[/b]?

Uh...

Yeah, I can't spell either.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I'm finishing up my bachelor of arts (Poli-sci, Intl Development honors double major) at McGill

Have a very nice thesis subject working out with two profs that will hopefully carry through to my graduate studies...i plan on being a prof myself so Im in it for the long haul

I have a super hard and interesting class with masters students in it which is adding stress to this life. Stress eleviated by my mind being at ease (new girl related)

I will be working on field study and more research in brazil next year before i apply for grad-school so I am feeling good

now i have to finish a paper due in an hour instead of ss procrastination

• Congrats to all those finishing up!

I'm almost done with my MA in mass communication. I'm defending my thesis in about 3 weeks. Simultaneous to finishing it I'm seeing how many papers I can squeeze out of the data, and getting those proposals/versions out the door.

Oh and I'm teaching a class, working a 20 hours a week job, being a research assistant, going through a rather intense teacher training course, and prepping for a conference this weekend. I think I forgot something but you get the picture. I have no life.

Applying to doctoral programs is seriously vexing me too. I have two semesters teaching experience, good recommendations, and will have some papers in peer review/submission, but my GPA and GREs are a little below average for the programs I'm applying to. We are talking top programs that take maybe 18-24 Ph.D students per year.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Congrats to all those finishing up!

I'm almost done with my MA in mass communication. I'm defending my thesis in about 3 weeks. Simultaneous to finishing it I'm seeing how many papers I can squeeze out of the data, and getting those proposals/versions out the door.

Oh and I'm teaching a class, working a 20 hours a week job, being a research assistant, going through a rather intense teacher training course, and prepping for a conference this weekend. I think I forgot something but you get the picture. I have no life.

Applying to doctoral programs is seriously vexing me too. I have two semesters teaching experience, good recommendations, and will have some papers in peer review/submission, but my GPA and GREs are a little below average for the programs I'm applying to. We are talking top programs that take maybe 18-24 Ph.D students per year.

Yo Asch,

Good luck with your applications to Ph.D. programs. Perhaps, you should take the GREs again. They tend to go up some upon second administration. I would also suggest getting some strongly relevant research and writing experience, which it sounds like you're in the process of doing. Showing competence at research and writing are big components of a doctoral program and subsequently becoming an Asst. Professor. Hit me on the PMs if you need some advice. Best wishes. Now, I'm off to do some hierarchical linear modeling analyses for a paper I'm working on. Yippeeeeee!!!!!

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Speaking as someone who was on a grad student selection committee - GREs and grades tend to matter relatively little unless they're really, notably bad.

What will make a greater difference is:

1) The strength of your personal statement. It has to be both interesting but also demonstrates your competency for scholarship.

2) The strength of your recommendations. Great ones will go a long way but even a single middling one can be a deal-breaker. Make sure your rec writers have your back.

3) The writing sample you submit. It should be competent and demonstrate your potential for future work.

I won't say it's a walk in the park but the scores are really secondary to how well you (and your rec writers) can sell you.

What kind of PhD programs are you applying for? Mass comm as well?

Congrats to all those finishing up!

Yo Asch,

Good luck with your applications to Ph.D. programs. Perhaps, you should take the GREs again. They tend to go up some upon second administration. I would also suggest getting some strongly relevant research and writing experience, which it sounds like you're in the process of doing. Showing competence at research and writing are big components of a doctoral program and subsequently becoming an Asst. Professor. Hit me on the PMs if you need some advice. Best wishes. Now, I'm off to do some hierarchical linear modeling analyses for a paper I'm working on. Yippeeeeee!!!!!

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    MAN FUCK THIS SHIT.

I AM DOING A MASTERS IN PURE MATH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA. THIS SHIT IS CRAZY INTENSE. EVEN THOUGH I GOT MY OWN OFFICE WITH A WINDOW, I STILL HAVE TO DO INSANE MEASURE THEORY PROBLEMZ FOR WHICH I DO NOT HAVE THE PRE-REQUISIT.

I'M ALSO GOING CRAZY HENCE THE ALL CAPS. MID-TERMS NEXT WEEK. OH SNAP. BETTER GET BACK TO WORK.

Good for you! I really admire all of the students and teachers on the board. Props and good luck with all of your work, homework, and studies this school year!

PS: looking to join all of you in the struggle next fall...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    forillz. im looking to go back next spring. im finishing up my apps for an MA in counseling education. shit will be weird considering ive been out of school for the past 6 years. yikes. how do those in MA programs balance studies and working full time if you do grind & hustle like that? let a strutter know.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the state of undergraduate writing in California is troubling, to say the least.

No doubt. The craft of writing, the five-paragraph argumentative essay, written analysis, all of that shit has been more or less abandoned in high school in favor of teaching rote memorization to deal with NCLB standards, it seems. For a word nerd such as myself, it's distressing.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    MAN FUCK THIS SHIT.

haha - yeah, I finished my MS in applied math last year, and I still shudder thinking about the days locked up in my (shared) office. I liked how it became reasonable to just stay in the office overnight, sleep on the couch, and shower at the gym instead of actually going home to sleep because it would waste too much time.

• Speaking as someone who was on a grad student selection committee - GREs and grades tend to matter relatively little unless they're really, notably bad.

What will make a greater difference is:

1) The strength of your personal statement. It has to be both interesting but also demonstrates your competency for scholarship.

2) The strength of your recommendations. Great ones will go a long way but even a single middling one can be a deal-breaker. Make sure your rec writers have your back.

3) The writing sample you submit. It should be competent and demonstrate your potential for future work.

I won't say it's a walk in the park but the scores are really secondary to how well you (and your rec writers) can sell you.

Thanks for the advice Oliver! I heard that scores don't matter as much, but had a moment of hyperventilation when I wrote that. My scores aren't terrible, just not straight 4.0. Let's say closer to 4.0 than 3.0.

What kind of PhD programs are you applying for? Mass comm as well?

I'll be applying at 2-3 schools with communication doctoral programs in the LA area. I'm a bit odd because I'm a mass comm person, but also have an interest in online communities and qualitative research.

There is one LA university in particular that is top-notch and likely needs no introduction. They do a lot of work in communities and the Internet, and I think it would be a good fit, but it is very competitive.

Actually you know what is funny, I don't think I mentioned it to you, but my wife will be teaching at the same school as you in the fall, at cal state long beach She'll be an assistant professor in photography.

• Senior at C.W. Post Campus of Long Island Univeristy as an English major

Had one midterm already and did fairly well. I have another one this week in Africa American Literature, which I'm a little worried about.

I'm getting my radio show together here on campus and I was just hired to be the Music Coordinator for the station.

Yea, I'm feeling the stress. haha

Good luck to everyone.

• Good luck with your applications to Ph.D. programs. Perhaps, you should take the GREs again. They tend to go up some upon second administration. I would also suggest getting some strongly relevant research and writing experience, which it sounds like you're in the process of doing. Showing competence at research and writing are big components of a doctoral program and subsequently becoming an Asst. Professor. Hit me on the PMs if you need some advice. Best wishes. Now, I'm off to do some hierarchical linear modeling analyses for a paper I'm working on. Yippeeeeee!!!!!

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thanks 'stacks! I didn't know I could take the GRE twice... hmm...

The academic lifestyle is a hella lot of work, but sweet in its own way. Research and writing I can get with. Research is fun actually, it's like a puzzle you get to assemble. Teaching is hard work but very rewarding. I can't imagine teaching a 3/3 load with 30 students a class tho, it's enough work teaching one class of 20!!

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thanks 'stacks! I didn't know I could take the GRE twice... hmm...

The academic lifestyle is a hella lot of work, but sweet in its own way. Research and writing I can get with. Research is fun actually, it's like a puzzle you get to assemble. Teaching is hard work but very rewarding. I can't imagine teaching a 3/3 load with 30 students a class tho, it's enough work teaching one class of 20!!

True, but some people are reluctant to take the GRE again thinking (a) taking it twice will reflect poorly on them, (b) they don't want to deal with the exam again, and/or (c) they don't want to shoulder the additional cost. In spite of these issues, re-taking can sometimes result in a meaningful score gain.

Teaching is more work to me than research, because the research is fun and doesn't whine and complain about rigorous standards, grades, etc. The key is to work at a research institution where the teaching loads are more manageable. I teach a 2/2 load (no summers) and will maintain this load as long as I remain research active (which I will). I love teaching as well and it can be VERY rewarding. The thing to remember is, like the evangelist, you can't convert everybody. Some folks want to remain in the dark, which is their choice, but as long as you touch some students' lives in a positive, meaningful way, then you've done your job. Realizing this fact makes coping with teaching much easier. As my wife said, "Not all of your students aspire to the level that you aspire for them." Wise words from THE BOSS.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Teaching is more work to me than research, because the research is fun and doesn't whine and complain about rigorous standards, grades, etc.

This is such real talk, tears are forming in my eyes.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Teaching is more work to me than research, because the research is fun and doesn't whine and complain about rigorous standards, grades, etc.

This is such real talk, tears are forming in my eyes.

You guys are teaching college. Do not even fuckin whine to me about dealing with "students." Take on a class of 9th graders and then get back to me!