Pressing Info-MF Doom Operation Doomsday

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I picked up a copy of MF Doom's Operation Doomsday this week, it's going on Ebay for sure and I need some info. It's my understanding thatthe 1st press is on Subverse/Fondle'em circa 2001, and there was a remastered versionon Subverse/Fondle'em/Fat Beats with an extra track later in 2001? Does that sound right?Any foreign pressings or boots?Any knowledge droppings would be appreciated.

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The first one is Fondle 'Em (no Subverse), the second is Subverse/Fondle 'Em with the extra track. There's now a brand new reissue which might not be legit, although it looks semi-close to the original.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The first one is Fondle 'Em (no Subverse), the second is Subverse/Fondle 'Em with the extra track. There's now a brand new reissue which might not be legit, although it looks semi-close to the original.
    Semi-close or really really close?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    semi, if you compare it to the OG, you'll spot the differences.

• Semi-close or really really close?

It's a pretty reissue if you ask me. I'm not talking about the second pressing from a few years ago, but this most recent one that came out within this past month. I think they took the very first pressing and just scanned it. The colors are all off. It's much darker and blurrier. I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to act quick and unload some of those on ebay. There is no way this one was done from original files, it's too blurry and the colors are off. Or maybe Doom is cheap and pressed them on the low in Syberia.

• maybe itsthe same people who have pressed the souls of mischief, black moon, ugly duckling, kmd, pete rock & cl, lords of the underground & group home reissues?

all records in the same wheight, same material in sleeves and cover, same scanned and printed covers.

It's a pretty reissue if you ask me. I'm not talking about the second pressing from a few years ago, but this most recent one that came out within this past month. I think they took the very first pressing and just scanned it. The colors are all off. It's much darker and blurrier. I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to act quick and unload some of those on ebay. There is no way this one was done from original files, it's too blurry and the colors are off. Or maybe Doom is cheap and pressed them on the low in Syberia.

I think the copy I picked up is legit, the colors are good and its looks like other copies
    I've seen on Popsike. The right side on the back cover has logos for Metal Face Records, Sub Verse, Fat Beats, and Fondle'Em. Does anyone have this pressing?
    I'll post pics later when I have a minute.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The new pressing is not legit.

Anyone got an original "Black Bastards" pressed on ReadyRock Records?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    anything with a label on it besides fondle em is 2nd pressing at least, OG was before subverse or metal face records. I got black bastards on subverse, later pressing im sure. That actually got legitimately released earlier? I thought MCA or whoever never let it out cause of the cover art.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    maybe itsthe same people who have pressed the souls of mischief, black moon, ugly duckling, kmd, pete rock & cl, lords of the underground & group home reissues?

I don't like those people. The Mr. Hood reissh was an absolute disgrace.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The right side on the back cover has logos for Metal Face Records, Sub Verse, Fat Beats, and Fondle'Em.

That's the second pressing that came at least two years after the OG.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

Yeah... I picked that one up when it came out.
    I'm pretty sure I've also got the CD on Readyrock as well, but haven't a clue where that came from.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    The new pressing is not legit.

True. Rhymesayers is doing a legit one early next year.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah... I picked that one up when it came out.
    I'm pretty sure I've also got the CD on Readyrock as well, but haven't a clue where that came from.

It was released on both vinyl and CD on Readyrock... that was a short lived company I was down with that was based out of both LA and Philly. It folded like right after the KMD release... maybe like one other Philly indie release. We're talking 1996 or maybe 1997.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I care about Operation: Doomsday !

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

It was released on both vinyl and CD on Readyrock... that was a short lived company I was down with that was based out of both LA and Philly. It folded like right after the KMD release... maybe like one other Philly indie release. We're talking 1996 or maybe 1997.

I always thought it was a Doom-owned label... How did the Readyrock guys get the rights for such a 'high profile' unreleased album?
    It remember it being really tough to find on that label here in the UK - did they press many up?

I checked; I've definitely got the CD and the vinyl... then, when I was writing at Spine, I got sent the Subverse vinyl and CD too. Add to that, the original bootleg white-label and the Fondle 'Em EP and I've got six copies of the same album. That's both great and terrible.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

o.g

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like my copy is definitely a
    second pressing....
    Which is still cool since Popsike has copies that look exactly like
    this one that sold in the $100 range.
    Keep your eyes peeled if you need a copy, their will be one
    on the bay in the next couple days.

• I picked up a copy of 2nd pressing of Op:DD after I first saw Doom in 2001. My boy got the original pressing of the CD somewhere, but I dont think either of us are planning on selling it, its too damn good.

These have started to pop up on the Bay, even the super tiny stock photos look seriously BUDGET.
    Give the bootleggers the Bozack! Don't buy'em!