cooking at home strut: what do you dudes make?

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Two cannibals were eating a clown. One said to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?"

• I just made some lasagna the other night, no recipe, came out great. Made my own sauce too. It's really easy. Get a bunch of nice vine-ripe tomatoes, throw them in a roasting pan with some olive oil and any other flavors you want (onions, basil, peppers, garlic, whatever) and roast em for a while in the oven (broiler on low). I think I left them in for about 30 minutes or so. Then, add the roasted stuff to a blender or food processor, add some oregano, lemon juice, salt, puree that batch up and voila, pasta sauce. You may choose to add some tomato paste when you put everything in the blender, gives it a little more tomato/sauce flavor but it's not necessary.

As for the rest of the lasagna, it's easy. You need ricotta, romano, and mozzerella cheeses (the better the quality the better the meal), your sauce, some more oregano or basil, and some lasagna noodles. Barilla makes no-boil lasagna noodles. You just layer them with your other ingredients in a 2 or 3 inch pan and cover with foil and bake. The liquids from the cheese and sauce cook the noodles.

Here's how you put it together:

First combine your ricotta with some oregano, mozzerella, and romano (or parmessan or asiago or whatever). Get your pan out, cover the bottom with a thin layer of sauce. Then a layer of the no-boil lasagna noodles (or you can get the boiling kind if you want, these are easier though). On the noodles, a layer of the ricotta mixture, and maybe some more mozzerella on top of that. Then a layer of sauce. Continue to repeat the layers until you have 3 of them. Top layer should be noodles, then sauce, then loose mozzerella and romano. Cover with foil, place in pre-heated 375 degree oven, bake for an hour. Take the foil off, bake another 10 minutes or so to brown the cheese and slightly crisp the edges. Then you have lasagna.

Also, here's a cooking thread from a while back that may have some interesting entries. And remember, you can always substitute shit and make shit without meat.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rt=1#Post615115

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hey fellow pescatarian. Here's a real tasty recipe. It's easy to make and you'll be well full from it.

Just remember that the key to cooking is being well prepared[/b] (especially when you're starting to learn). So take your time dicing everything up, locate everything you need (pots, pans, spatchulas, etc...) and have fun with it. Drink a beer and listen to a record as you go.

Indian chicken pea & cauliflower dish[/b]

1 onion, diced in four
    1-3 garlic reef (depends on preferance)
    1 fresh chili, diced in half, pick out seeds (if you like it really strong leave the seeds)
    2 cm of ginger-root, peeled
    2-3 table spoons of curry paste (Pataks is a great brand)
    1 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 small head of cauliflower, chop
    1 can of chick-peas (or 400 g of peas, i think chick-peas taste the best with this dish)
    1 can of coconut-milk, 400 ml (if your local grocery doesn't carry this most thai shops do)
    100 g green string beans
    a little sea-salt (i recommend Maldon) and freshly ground black pepper

Put onion, garlic, chili, ginger-root og curry-paste in food processor, and mash. Heat up a pan with olive oil and cook the mash for about two minutes, stirring constantly.

If you don't have a food processor, just cut the ingredients as finely as you can and fry on pan. In this case you'd put the curry-paste a bit later onto the pan... say after about 1-1 1/2 min.

Add chopped cauliflower, chick-peas og coconut-milk ??t?? and boil/simmer for about 15 min, with lid on. Add green string beens and let is simmer for 10 more min, this time with the lid off.

Add sea-salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste.

Serve it up with some brown rice and a simple salad, and your good.

This will feed 2-3 people. If it's just for you, then cook it exactly the same and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Making your own bread is really good. You won't be getting any additives and it's much easier to digest than store-bought bread (at least in my experience). Plus you don't have to eat 4-5 slices of it to feel full. 1-2 is enough.

Spelt-bread[/b]

7 1/2 dl roughly ground spelt
    2 dl seeds of any kind, f.ex. sunflower seeds
    2 table spoons baking powder
    1 table spoons husk (this is water-solvent fibre, should be able to get this at a pharmacy or a good veggie-centric grocery)
    1 teaspoon Maldon sea-salt
    5 dl pure, taste-free!!, yogurt

Mix together

Throw into a mold and bake at 200?? Celsius for about 60-90 min. (depends on the oven really. Basic trick is to get a needle and use it to see if the bread is ready. You pierce the bread once in a while. If it's undone the needle will have a wer/moist feel to it, if it's done it'll be dry. Be sure to pierce the bread evenly, don't want to have one side cooked only.)

• Hey fellow pescatarian. Here's a real tasty recipe. It's easy to make and you'll be well full from it.

Just remember that the key to cooking is being well prepared[/b] (especially when you're starting to learn). So take your time dicing everything up, locate everything you need (pots, pans, spatchulas, etc...) and have fun with it. Drink a beer and listen to a record as you go.

Yes. A little prep will make everything easier and a lot more fun. Measure, dice, chop, and organize. Then, its just a matter of putting everything together.

• I'm making this this weekend...

Vegetarian French Onion soup

Onions (about two per person - I use sweet, but you could use a mix)
    shallots (about two per person)
    garlic (1 clove per person)
    Mushroom broth (can get @ whole foods or other health food stores - in a carton)
    vegetable broth
    dry sherry
    thyme
    bay leaf
    salt pepper
    french bread
    cheese (I usually use two kinds - greyure (sp?) and some other kind of swiss)

slice the onions into really thin rings (really thin - helps if you have a food processor with a slicing blade - otherwise it can take forever) and saute in a big huge pot with olive oil and butter (and the sliced shallots). add salt and brown. This can take a really long time (med-high heat). like 45 minutes. you may have to pour off some of the liquid to get them to brown (but don't throw it away - there is tons of flavor in it). You want them to be a medium caramel color and start sticking to the pot. If you don't brown them properly, your soup will suck. When they begin to brown, add the garlic (you don't want it to burn). when it is allnice an brown, start adding your broth (I use equal parts mushroom and veggie), at least a cup of sherry, the herbs, salt and pepper (and the onion liquid if you poured that off while browning). cook this down for a good while (45 minutes?).

while this is happening, slice the bread and toast it. when it is toasted, rub each peice with a clove of garlic. slice your cheese.

when the soup tastes good and seems done, ladle into bowls that you can put into the oven, put one or two pieces of toasted bread and then cover with cheese. throw in the oven on 450 (or broil, but watch it closely) and take out when the cheese is begining to brown on the edges.

it's damn tasty.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Drink a beer and listen to a record as you go.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    My pasta salad is so easy even you could make it.

1 lbs tricolor pasta, boiled, not overcooked, then run through with cold water
    3 diced tomatoes
    1 head broccoli, decapitated from stalks and boiled/steamed for a few minutes
    15 or so black olives, sliced
    3 green onions diced
    1/2 lb herbed fetta
    balsalmic vinegarette, to taste (kind of a lot)
    salt and pepper

boil the noodles, same with the broccoli, get them cold, then mix in all the other shit. add some vinegarette, salt and pepper, taste it, then probably add more. eat with a fresh baguette. put the rest in the fridge.

COD[/b]
    Get some fresh cod, rub a little virgin olive oil on it, cover it in a handful of flower, fry it in a pan with some oil or butter. It should start to separate, this is when you know it's done. Add a bunch of fresh squeezed lemon juice and capers. Serve over a bed of rice with some of your favorite vegetables.

SOBA[/b]
    Boil black beans. Blanch some cubed yams. Steam some asparagus or broccoli or kale. Boil buckwheat soba noodles. Mix rice vinegar into the noodles when they're done. Strain the beans and yams and vegetables, then put everything on a plate in 4 attractive little piles. Cover it with a balsalmic paste or lemon juice or that Chinese pepper flake sauce or some dressing you really like. This is healthy and flavorful.

Homemade Ratatouille[/b]
    (Make this for a lady friend.)
    2 large (or 3 small) zucchinis, thinly sliced.
    1 big onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, smooshed to fuck
    1 can of diced, herbed tomatoes (I prefer to do this myself, but there's nothing wrong with cans)
    10 mushrooms, sliced
    Diced basil
    Pinch of sugar
    Big pinch of oregano

Sautee onions in oil, until they get small and near translucent. Add garlic, zucchini and mushroom. Cook for a few more minutes. Add your tomatoes, which will have a lot of juice. Turn the heat down, let that shit simmer for a good 45 minutes. Once the water starts to disappear, start boiling some fusilli. Throw in a pinch or two of sugar now, as it will cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Also add the oregano.

Strain your pasta, then put it back in the pan. Then slowly dump all your ratatouille (think of this as a thick, homemade marinara for pasta, by the way) over the pasta. Mix it together and add some salt and pepper, garnish with the basil.

Grate some fresh parmesan or romano (don't disgrace my recipe with some fucking green can of dust-chunk cheese, that's just foul) on top, serve with some wine, steamed vegetables, and a chunk of baguette. Be prepared for sexual service afterwards.

Also, empanadas are fucking easy to make, if slightly time consuming (if you make your own dough); salt baked salmon is easy; garlic mashed yams with rosemary (use heavy cream, not butter, to whip) is good with fish or some hippie gardenburger shit.

• Drink a beer and listen to a record as you go.

• no offense but those recipes are too advanced for Caveman Moist.

if you can dj and make beats, you can make some of these meals. it's virtually the same concept. You get your records out, figue out your mixes, turn your equipment on, cue the record, que the recording, and have at it.

or

get your records out, chop up your samples, load them to your keys/pads, que the recording, and start.

To the guy with the cherry tomatoes, maybe you should try it a few different ways. I say definitely try the roast and puree method, add a few other veggies you like, spices you like, olive oil, you'll be happy with the end result. Cook your ground beef seperately with spices and add it after the sauce has been created.

good luck.

• Uhhhh.... so Martha Stuart here, back for round three of this shit.

This is my favorite snack recently...

Slice roma tomatoes
    Slice mozzerella cheese (the good stuff) into pieces and put them on top of your roma slices.
    Pour some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.
    Cut up some fresh basil and put it on top of your pieces.
    Put some fresh cracked pepper on top and some kosher salt.

Enjoy it.

so classic. even simpler is tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil leaf

• cooking a "quick" meat sauce with tomatoes is somehow difficult, because the dish is usually not full-bodied. However, if you don??t have the time you can add some sugar to counter the acid from the tomatoes.

i disagree on both counts.unless you are looking for a sauce that resembles ketchup.
    a good sauce shouldnt take more than 15-20 and does not require tomato paste.

sugar is unnecesary...sauted onions provide sweetness to counteract acidity of tomato. grated carrots also

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

The Stacks is nice with his in the kitchen. Here are some of my specialties:

-Chicken cacciatore.
    -Omelets (Denver, Steak, Vegetable).
    -Pancakes, eggs, & sausage.
    -Baked and fried chicken.
    -Spaghetti.
    -Lasagna.
    -Beef bourginon.
    -Baked and fried fish.
    -Collard greens.
    -Cabbage.
    -Steamed asparagus.
    -Broiled steak and potatoes.

...and many more, but I'm blankin' right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i am always impressed with the obvious good taste shown in foodstrut posts.
    some have already been mentioned, but good quick and easy for me=
    Guacamole
    Pasta marinara
    Any grain (brown rice, quinua, amaranth, couscous, barley) with curry, veggies, raisins, nuts if you got them (AYO!)
    Quesadillas: good cheese and lots of spinach or other greens...throw it in the toaster
    Brazed seitan over mixed salad (but seitan isnt always the most accessible ingredient)
    Sweet potatoes, cut in crescents, stick in toaster oven at 450 for half hour with olive oil drizzled on top, salt and rosemary. take out, enjoy.sooooo good, cheap, easy

• i basically teach cooking in a high school. what would yall put on a list of dishes that everyone should know how to cook (affordable, healthy,easy to make, accessible ingredients, delicious)

off the top, we do:
    chili
    indian & jamaican curry rice/bean dishes
    cabbage n beef
    various salads (any notable ones, specifically?)
    baked chicken
    pasta (marinara, pesto, primavera, spinach/ricotta, basic meat sauce)
    smoothies
    salsa (and taco fixins)
    quick collards (steamed and auted vs. boiled for two hours)
    crepes (sweet or savory)
    pancakes from scratch
    chinese stirfry (just veggies or w/chicken)
    sushi (we dont do it often, but everyone loves it)
    hummus (they dont like at first, but after 4x, they are hooked)
    minestrone
    carrot cake
    baked fish (we dont really do this much due to budget constraints)

more essential dishes plaese! i want to raise a generation of home cooks!

• Yo,

stacks, i need your input on my last post. i keep telling these teens that the way to get the girls (or viceversa) is to showcase some cooking skills on one of those first few dates.

• Heres an oldie but a goodie from my family.

Put simply, this ones called "Hotdogs and Rice"

My people are from Guam, and this was a staple of their diet during the war, and even after they got to the US of A.

1 tablespoon of bacon grease ( yes bacon grease )
    1 Med. onion diced.
    2 packages of cheap all beef hotdogs cut on bais...(diaganal for the non-cooking types)
    1 small can of tomato sauce
    2 cups or so of catsup.
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Tabasco sauce to taste...not ment to be a fire dish, ez on the tobasco.

Heat bacon greasy in a skillet
    add onion, and fry till golden.
    add hotdogs and cook till a nice brown spot forms on both sides.
    turn down the heat, and add the liquids.
    simmer for 20 min, and add tobasco and sugar to taste.

your looking for a tangy, sweet,vinegar type flavor.

That gets served over cooked white rice.

Sounds Odd I know, but Mmmmmmmmm Damn Mom that the shit der.

For a diffrent flava, you can sub the hotdogs for kelebasa, or polish sauage.

Try ring bologna.

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    I've picked up all my skills in the kitchen from watching G.Garvin's[/b] show on Tv One. From my experience, most of the recipes are simple and easy to learn on the first attempt.

as Garvin himself likes to say, he's just "your boy holding it down in the kitchen."...so get familiar.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

stacks, i need your input on my last post. i keep telling these teens that the way to get the girls (or viceversa) is to showcase some cooking skills on one of those first few dates.

Oh yeah, chicks love to eat. You really get points when you knock 'em off reeeeeeeal nice like in the late night, and then make 'em some breakfast the next morning. Shiiiit, I earned some points with T**i, while we were dating, with that tactic.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

cooking a "quick" meat sauce with tomatoes is somehow difficult, because the dish is usually not full-bodied. However, if you don??t have the time you can add some sugar to counter the acid from the tomatoes.

i disagree on both counts.unless you are looking for a sauce that resembles ketchup.
    a good sauce shouldnt take more than 15-20 and does not require tomato paste.

sugar is unnecesary...sauted onions provide sweetness to counteract acidity of tomato. grated carrots also

To clarify: It??s about adding a little sugar for quick tomato sauces based on tasting the sauce during preparation.
    mirepoix (onions, carrots, stalk celery) indeed provide sweetness and body, but only do so if they are cooked for a longer period.

It is possible to prepare a meat sauce with tomatoes in 20 minutes and this is maybe somehow tasty, but the acidity of tomatoes will hardly fade within this period and mirepoix ingredients do not develop their full flavor in this time.

simply try raw tomatoes, cook them a few minutes and try them, cook them an hour and try them and cook them 4 hours and try them. try the same and add mirepoix aso...(while you listen to raers)

This type of quick meat sauce especially has absolutely nothing to do with ragu alla bolognese, which is far superior in taste.

usage of tomato paste is optional. roasting some tomato paste and adding it simply adds body to any dish which includes the use of tomatoes. usual tomatoes nowadays are nearly tasteless, thus this is an option.