top finds in the dollar bins at a record fair?

planlessplanless 819 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
just curious,...who had luck at a fair with only a few cents?me not

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Scooped this one at a BC record show.
    Sipreano doesn't get EVERY good record in Van City.

• my best finds have been $1 show crates

not everytime
    but enough to make me look everytime !

• marcus belgrave on tribe---$2 (had the $4 price tag crossed out, they slashed it in half, thought it was funny)
    Head west $1
    Cargo simple things $1
    trend home cookin $1

but, to be honest I don't travel to too many record fairs

• A High Frequency-Summertime "12
    Hilton Felton-Ode To New Life LP (a one-tracker but still a nice find)

Both were less than $1 and pretty much unplayed. What's the deal with High Frequency by the way? Mine is a gold label, but I've seen copies with a red label... which one is the original? I don't know shit about disco.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Silver Apples - s/t (NM w/ poster)

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    What's the deal with High Frequency by the way? Mine is a gold label, but I've seen copies with a red label... which one is the original? I don't know shit about disco.

If you send it to me I will inspect it and give you my honest opinion. PM for address.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

now THIS is surprising.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

.50 cents at a thrift shop in Orange county,. apparently it had been there for over a year

at my favorite thrift shop in West Covina

Amoeba dollar bins last week

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

now THIS is surprising.

It wasn't specifically a record fair - it was more like an giant antique fair with a bunch of records from different sellers. I should have specified.

• I usually do all right in the 45's. Too many over the years to remember just now, but I do remember once a guy who specialized in garage and psych ($10 and up) had a shitload of soul and funk in his $3-or-less pile, and I cleaned up there (one title I scored was Big Jay Bush & the Housewreckers [House Rockers?] on Vangee).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I say that the vast majority of my collection of 45s was purchased for under $3, including stuff at record shows.

• Big Jay Bush & the House Rockers on Vangee).

I'll take that one off your hands Mr. Porter. Horns of death.

• got the Funk Factory Lp for a buck at a 'record fair' at UC Berkeley a few years ago.
    that was cool..
    (insert baked icon here)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    $1 each at a big record sale last summer:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If we're talking strictly record fairs, this
    was a nice one I copped for $1 a couple years ago:

Otherwise, I find dope dollar joints all the time.
    Got this for a dollar today at the thrift:

• Otherwise, I find dope dollar joints all the time.

A near mint copy of this funk gem is my most mentionable dollar bin find.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    most of my 45s also came from cheap bins at record shows

noteable cheapy record show find:

symphonic four - who do you think youre fooling pt.1+2 (Zudan)

for 50 cents from some old dude. he had like...50 records total, but there was all kinds of interesting shit! also got that incredible bongo band - kiburi or whatver 45, but i dont even like that song.

• Big Jay Bush & the House Rockers on Vangee).

I'll take that one off your hands Mr. Porter. Horns of death.

When I'm dead and cold, Castillo...I'd leave it for you in my will, but then you'd only have me killed...

• I don't know if this counts - I got these at a record show at a rock festival*** -but just this summer I scored the one LP by the Flame (w/poster) for $3, and a doo-wop compilation on Jubilee called Rumble for $5 (both usually go for 10x more than what I paid).

[color:blue]***the Pitchfork thing in Chicago..."rock festival," listen at me! As if this were 1969 or something! [/color]

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I got Tony Grazette & Blue Rhythm Combo - Take This Funky Feeling/Knock on Wood 45rpm on Merry Disc for 50 cent at a record fair in Wisconsin.