Price check - Invaders - Spacing Out

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
How much is a sealed (!) original copy of the Invaders - Spacing Out worth? More than 800? 1000 maybe? I wanna resell, maybe...

Comments

• How much is a sealed (!) original copy of the Invaders - Spacing Out worth? More than 800? 1000 maybe?

I wanna resell, maybe...

You sure it's OG? I remember hearing that there was debate on how to tell an OG from the repress a while back. Being that this one's sealed, I'd imagine makes it a bit harder.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    100% original

• The price dropped a bit when the reissue(s) came out a few years ago. For a sealed copy maybe $600 to 800? Just a guess.

I'd open it and keep it!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The price dropped a bit when the reissue(s) came out a few years ago. For a sealed copy maybe $600 to 800? Just a guess.

I'd open it and keep it!

i would buy it just in order to resell. i have the bootleg (sound horrible by the way). the guy said that the original sounds much better, but if i can get 800-1000, i'm definitely going to resell it. and buy the official reissue, maybe...

i thought it was still one of the most expensive records, due to it's rarity and quality. 600 would be no good!

• The price dropped a bit

I'd open it and [hope] give it to Nitekrawler45 [/hope]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The price dropped a bit

I'd open it and [hope] give it to Nitekrawler45 [/hope]

why not?! got cash? haha

• and buy the official reissue, maybe...

I may be wrong, but I doubt any of the reissues were legit.

• personally i'd stay away from sealed invaders copies apart from it being a real bargain!
    two people i know found a unlistenable warped record inside their sealed cover
    and after hearing the (true?) story that the record didn't sell at all back in day when it was released,
    so the band (or producer) decided to throw the remaining copies in box outside in front of the house
    as "take-away-for-free" copies! the fact that we're talking about the bermudas,
    underlines my worries & makes sense with the fact of the warped copies!
    maybe someone has more knowledge than me an could confirm or disapprove this story (hmm, K.?)!
    anyway... one of the best funk records ever IMO, nice to have in EX or M- nick!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    isn't there a reissue that actually sounds nice? i think i was listening to a copy the other day that sounded much better than my bootleg from 5-6 years back.

no reissue yet? what's the hell?!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    personally i'd stay away from sealed invaders copies apart from it being a real bargain!
    and after hearing the (true?) story that the record didn't sell at all back in day when it was released,
    so the band (or producer) decided to throw the remaining copies in box outside in front of the house
    as "take-away-for-free" copies!
    and the fact that we're talking about the bermudas,
    maybe someone has more knowledge than me an could confirm or disapprove this story (hmm, K.?)!

i wouldn't open it before reselling.

i might have to ask that guy. he has more copies and i know he opened at least one from that find...

• personally i'd stay away from sealed invaders copies apart from it being a real bargain!
    as "take-away-for-free" copies!
    and the fact that we're talking about the bermudas,

i wouldn't open it before reselling.

i might have to ask that guy. he has more copies and i know he opened at least one from that find...

He has more copies?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

He has more copies?

that guy is amazing. i trust him 100%. he's been collecting for 25 years or so... and he's no dealer.

• isn't there a reissue that actually sounds nice? i think i was listening to a copy the other day that sounded much better than my bootleg from 5-6 years back.

no reissue yet? what's the hell?!

Pure, BadAss & the latest with thick (1:1) cardboard cover... some more?
    i think the latest has the best sound.
    bought one of these for the case that when i get married and my wife
    forces me to sell my originals

btw. sometimes the wrap itself or the technique how the record was wrapped
    can tell you if it's an old or a brandnew record... (tiny holes inside, melted at the edges, overlappings)

cheers

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    that record sounds great the way they recorded it in a cave and all

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    isn't there a reissue that actually sounds nice?

Yes there is. I have both the original and a reissue (for playing out). The reissue I have looks and sounds nice. I just did an A-B listening test. Sound-wise I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference in a blindfold test.

The cover is pretty close to the OG. Differences: reissue has heavier cardboard, glossy printing on both sides (as opposed to mat on the front and glossy on the back) and the printing is just a bit clearer overall.

The label has two smoothed out inner circles as opposed to one sharply indented. Letters are a bit thicker. Silver print is shinier on the OG. Number on label is DUANE LP-1102 on the reissue and not 1101. Runout groove etching says DUANE LP-1101 on both, but is smaller on the reissue.

All in all, if I didn't have the original, I'd be completely satisfied with this particular reish. I've seen and heard waaaay worse ones. Like Mole said, it IS a grimey recording from the get-go. This record is not supposed to sound like The Alan Parsons Project.

Reish on the left, OG on the right:

• I've been wanting to snatch up a reissue copy through e-bay but am worried of receiving a warped copy or one with bad sound. Anyone know of other spots to pick up the reissue, possibly under $20? personally, Bossa Blue and Spacing Out are the standout tracks in this album.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    if i had $600 to toss around i'd give you it in a heartbeat

i fucking LOVE the shit out of this record. personal favorite i never get sick of.