Shaw Brothers

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
any good movie that doesn't deal with Kung Fu and Wu Xia Pian ........ ???

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    These are pretty cool, especially the top 2 for some super awesome Chineseploitation gangster shit:

The Tea House

Big Brother Cheng

The Informer

• snosno 332 Posts
    These are pretty cool, especially the top 2 for some super awesome Chineseploitation gangster shit:

The Tea House

Big Brother Cheng

The Informer

(Thanks to Kenny for hooking me up with the above VCDraer.)
    Kenny knows his Chineseploitation raers!

• any good movie that doesn't deal with Kung Fu and Wu Xia Pian ........ ???

What does this have to do with CTI?

• One of the raerer Shaw joints is a little known gangster-shoot em up called Hong Kong Godfather (1985), not to be confused with the early 90's Andy Lau flick of the same name.
    HK Godfather has got to be one of the most underrated, under-appreciated HK flcks EVAR.
    So scarce, I couldn't even come up with an image to post.
    It was actually one of the very last films the studio put out and features the ultra-violent, ultra-bloody version of Jackie Chan's classic mall fight from Police Story. Has to be seen to be believed.
    Hopefully Celestial will get around to releasing it next year.

Also been getting more and more into the Shaw horror stuff.
    Boxer's Omen is bonafide cult classic FINALY about to get a proper stateside DVD release courtesy of Image this November.
    Also check out Human Lanterns. A fantastic, moody horror/kung fu hybrid that excells at both.

• i got a ton of raer HK films, PM if anyone wants

• i got a ton of raer HK films, PM if anyone wants

If you got the Shaw[/b] version of Hong Kong Godfather on disc, most definitely hit me up!

• Director Kuei Chi-hong did some odd ones. Killer Snakes and The Bamboo House of Dolls are good. Both are pretty sordid and perverse though, but made with a lot of creative energy.

• Director Kuei Chi-hong did some odd ones. Killer Snakes and The Bamboo House of Dolls are good. Both are pretty sordid and perverse though, but made with a lot of creative energy.

For whatever reason, I never got around to checking out Killer Snakes. Oily Maniac either.
    Loved Bamboo House of Dolls though. Recently got a friend to synch up that great old english dub with the pristine Celestial DVD print.
    Just copped the first official US Shaw DVD release by Image - "Black Magic", which is pretty entertaining (if overly dated) stuff.
    I'd like to see them get deep and eventually start putting out the OG english dub versions of shit like Black Lizard, Portrait In Crystal, Revenge of the Corpse, Bloody Parrot, etc.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Infra-Man!