I Wanna Go To NYU....

2»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Emergency lunch invitation at Wolfgang's Steakhouse - gotta run.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    im not trying to get in an argument with you. nor am i basing my future on a SS thread. i simply didnt understand what you meant by colleges wanting relevant experience. are you supposed to be well versed in the field before you learn the majority of it in college? that is what i didnt understand.

it is my understading that b-schools want to ensure that when the graduate an MBA student they are putting out someone who truly wants to be working in the business related field. In short, they do not want someone who was just following a degree plan from age 19-26 (undergraduate/graduate).

they want well rounded graduates, which means they want people who have realworld and scholastic training not just scholastic.

Also, I too am looking to go back and get my MBA here in NYC. But in my experience with B-School, unless you are going to a Stern, Whartons, Kellog, etc type of school, most B-Schools will carry similar clout. I am looking at Baruch (which i heard has a solid mba program) and Pace here in the city. No they won't carry the same weight as Stern, but the idea of employers dismissing smaller colleges (especially for an MBA) is probably off base. If you are trying to get in I-Banking, maybe not, but if you want to just get into a solid professional career, most employers will not dismiss you as less qualified just b/c you went to Pace as opposed to Rutgers.

Also, you are likely to save several thousand dollars too.

Pace is a good program. Especially if you already have contacts or a career and just want to get yourself up to the next level. I looked into Rutgers law, but my wife wouldnt let me go to Newark for evening classes, and I ended up getting into a better school anyway.

Pace in Westchester have a program as well as the one in lower Manhattan? based on the fact alot of my friends were accepted into the Westchester campus (Pace as a whole) it doesnt seem impossible.

no Newark in the evening?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Emergency lunch invitation at Wolfgang's Steakhouse - gotta run.

Excellent.

Plaese to keep us updated on all future lunch plans.

• jfreejfree 18 Posts
    Since you did clear up that you are seeking an undergradute business degree, that helps to clarify things a bit. In that case, disregard the comments about relevant business experience. That is really only necessary if you are looking at MBA programs (although if you do have some business experience or could put some spin on your touring experience, it sure wouldn't hurt your application).

The next step might be to check out US News and World Report's college guide. Don't take their ratings as the gospel truth, but use it for what it is - a guide. They do a good job of laying out what schools are good for various types of degrees. They also might give some insight into what schools accept transfer credit, etc. Be forewarned, "elite" schools like NYU generally do not give large amounts of credit to people with associate's degree (somewhat unjustly so, in my opinion).

Again, as someone suggested, go to the websites for all the NYC area schools (if that's where you plan to stay) and check their admissions FAQs. They will likely answer many of your questions before you even ask. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Maybe you should just be careful about the people you are telling to "shutthefuckup."

Regardless of the situation or the interpretation, that's not the best attitude and will definitely NOT lend to people giving you advice/insight towards your endeavor.

I wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

Maybe you should just be careful about the people you are telling to "shutthefuckup."

Regardless of the situation or the interpretation, that's not the best attitude and will definitely NOT lend to people giving you advice/insight towards your endeavor.

I wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

ive already stated the "shutthefuckup" was a joke. but thank you for reminding me. we all need to be reminded. i have been given enough insight. thanks for your concern.

Since you did clear up that you are seeking an undergradute business degree, that helps to clarify things a bit. In that case, disregard the comments about relevant business experience. That is really only necessary if you are looking at MBA programs (although if you do have some business experience or could put some spin on your touring experience, it sure wouldn't hurt your application).

The next step might be to check out US News and World Report's college guide. Don't take their ratings as the gospel truth, but use it for what it is - a guide. They do a good job of laying out what schools are good for various types of degrees. They also might give some insight into what schools accept transfer credit, etc. Be forewarned, "elite" schools like NYU generally do not give large amounts of credit to people with associate's degree (somewhat unjustly so, in my opinion).

Again, as someone suggested, go to the websites for all the NYC area schools (if that's where you plan to stay) and check their admissions FAQs. They will likely answer many of your questions before you even ask. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

yes. very. and with that. goodbye.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

for a second I thought people who weren't sending PMs were open to comments from the entire peanut gallery. Tis cool if help isn't needed - just thought cats were keen on the various kumbaya moments of strutters helping struttes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Sup duder.

• jfreejfree 18 Posts

Also, I too am looking to go back and get my MBA here in NYC. But in my experience with B-School, unless you are going to a Stern, Whartons, Kellog, etc type of school, most B-Schools will carry similar clout. I am looking at Baruch (which i heard has a solid mba program) and Pace here in the city. No they won't carry the same weight as Stern, but the idea of employers dismissing smaller colleges (especially for an MBA) is probably off base. If you are trying to get in I-Banking, maybe not, but if you want to just get into a solid professional career, most employers will not dismiss you as less qualified just b/c you went to Pace as opposed to Rutgers.

Also, you are likely to save several thousand dollars too.

I generally agree with these comments. Most MBA programs are very similar and provide similar educational results.

However, as someone who attends a certain Chicago area b-school, I would recommend that if you can get in to one of the more "prestigious" (take that with a grain of salt) programs, they are definitely worth the extra loot. That several thousand dollars you save will likely be made up in the first couple of years after you graduate. The networks at the top-tier schools are reeeeeediculous.

That said, again, your business success will be much more strongly correlated to your ability to think, your drive, and your ability to hustle than to a degree program.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I went to NYU School of Ed Masters Program and I now I teach Special Ed and make solid FIVE figures, but yo, I got that warm fuzzy feeling inside and no Wharton is gonna give you THAT shit, okay?

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Sup duder.

chillin - sup with you outside you're ballerific pending wedding???

• jfreejfree 18 Posts
    I went to NYU School of Ed Masters Program and I now I teach Special Ed and make solid FIVE figures, but yo, I got that warm fuzzy feeling inside and no Wharton is gonna give you THAT shit, okay?

I got mad love for the warm fuzzy feeling. I taught special ed in New Orleans, then moved back to the Chi, where I still teach (now regular ed). However, the warm fuzzy was too often interuppted by the maddening stress of working in sheer bureaucratic incompetence, the byproducts of which were dumbing down the quality of my students' education.

Hence, my move to a part-time MBA program. I've decided that I would rather fight the good fight from a different angle, and attempt to make life easier for those strong souls still soldiering on in the classrooms. Yes, this means I will no longer be teaching in a few years. However, you will likely find me at your local board of ed., trying to knock heads together and solve some of the organizational and structural problems that make life difficult for so many teachers and students.

Keep up the good work, I salute you Mr. FiveFigure,
    !

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Here's a dirty little secret about college/graduate school (excluding vocational degrees like an MSW/JD/MD, which are basically certificates to practice, although in the case of law, I think you only need to pass the bar to practice therefore a degree is helpful but not necessary). All the of information that you will get there is contained in books or can be learned from actually working. You don't really need to go to school to learn this shit. You will meet some smart people and hear some interesting stories but you will not learn anything that you couldn't learn yourself. As a business person I have rarely meet successful business people who went to Bus school, unless your talking about the corporate world. The best business people learn by doing.

A couple of suggestions: Find out what you are interested in (real estate, stocks, international trade, etc)and then find someone who is doing that. Ask for an internship or start filing paper/fetching coffee for them. Almost anyone will let you work for them for free. Because you will be working for free you can usually set good hours which allow you to have another job to cover bills. If you aren't learning anything, move on to the next gig. You will learn far more in business doing that then sitting around reading about "best practices" and the like. The upside is that in two years you won't be buried in debt and you will have real world contacts that are moving you forward.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Thank you! Make moves, homie. I'll be up there one day too, I'm thinking PhD route.

But that's MS. Five Figure, buddy.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The best thing i did was go to business school aged 30 (dropped outta high school @ 16)

follow your dream young padwan.

And id just like to say: Behemoth is good peoples.

for a cocksucker.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    A further clarification. I am in now way saying that bus school is bad. I simply think it is unnecessary.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    A further clarification. I am in now way saying that bus school is bad. I simply think it is unnecessary.

I think a lot has changed even in the last five years and it is necessary. Where my wife works all the directors have MBA's. All the coordinators do not. And never the twain shall meet. It isn't impossible to succeed without one, but it could end upo being time well spent. Three years in the program could save you five or seven years of slogging away, playing office politics to be considered for the higher positions.