Late Pass: Samurai Champloo

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
OK, have heard the hype, but finally got the series from one of my students at work. God damn that's a good anime. carry on.

Comments

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    didnt like it. it doesnt even come close to cowboy bebop....its more like some hip hop pokemon anime. not that i was comparing it to be like bebop but if youre capable of producing something of that level why stoop lower...

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    ....its more like some hip hop pokemon anime.

• didnt like it. it doesnt even come close to cowboy bebop....its more like some hip hop pokemon anime. not that i was comparing it to be like bebop but if youre capable of producing something of that level why stoop lower...

Wow, you're corny.

Samurai Champloo is fucking ill. Close/lock the post.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Samurai champloo is the only series i have picked up lately. I loved it as much as Cowboy Bebop. The episode where they get trapped in a mine surrounded by zombies and are eating wasabi root is off the hook.

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    all im saying is that i thought it was much more juvenille in terms of content and target audience, to the point where i couldnt get into it much...if that makes me corny so be it.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Both series are in the top 5% anime percentile, but its obvious which is the real deal and which is just riding the coat tails.

Bebop by a country mile.

• Both series are in the top 5% anime percentile, but its obvious which is the real deal and which is just riding the coat tails.

Bebop by a country mile.

champloo has got an ill soundtrack tho [+5points]

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Both series are in the top 5% anime percentile, but its obvious which is the real deal and which is just riding the coat tails.

Bebop by a country mile.

and bebop doesnt?

but its all about samurai jack!

• Both series are in the top 5% anime percentile, but its obvious which is the real deal and which is just riding the coat tails.

Bebop by a country mile.

and bebop doesnt?

but its all about samurai jack!

what about LUPIN???

but yea all of the above mentioned soundtracks are great.

havent seen that much of champloo i gotta admit, i missed out on a lot of anime in the last 3-4 years, i get fansubs of new stuff but hardly ever come around to see a series completely nowadays. but im totally hooked on this-------->

http://www.tbs.co.jp/iwgpark/

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Any guys here that is down with Yakitate? a true masterpiece if you ask me, they make a show about baking bread and it's like 100% action and intrigue, i watched all the 48 episodes i got in like 5 days, truly addictive stuff..

http://www.yakitate-japan.com/

/L

• all im saying is that i thought it was much more juvenille in terms of content and target audience, to the point where i couldnt get into it much...if that makes me corny so be it.

I mean, I think this can be argued for a LOT of anime. Urotsikidoji - crazy demons having sex with a bunch of penises coming out from all over, etc. etc. And I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie and liked it but wasn't blown away.

But I just really dug SC because of the mix of things - the hip hop style mixed with Chinese history, and the translation notes to give it more of a historical context was just really dope to me. That and that all the titles of the episodes are alliterations, and the artwork for the intermissions, the little dj scratch segues, the sense of humor. I dunno, it was a case of the whole is more than the sum of its parts for me.