"Club Bangers w/ an organic sound"????

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Basically I had a more specific idea of what a 'club banger' meant. Just because something goes over well in a club doesn't make it a 'banger,' at least the way i think of it. I wasn't questioning that it was a popular song at all.

Okay then we can just agree that your definition of banger might differ from the popular definiton of banger, which is what I believe King Most is getting at.

• 1). please stop

2). you sound like that Tom Brehanawhateverhisnameis
    Yeah dudes sorry that I actually talked about the music further than 'yeah banger' or 'shit's wack' or 'raer'

I understand what you're trying to say, dude, but regardless of the song's components (or lack thereof in your opinion) the song "One Thing" killed it in clubs, both black and white, across the country for over a year. The song killed when I was playing it in October 2004 when NOBODY was playing it, before it had gotten radio or major club play.

I'm just saying that, regardless of your argument, I think that is a good definition of a "club banger." Am I wrong?

WORD. I remember it had all the Gilles & Benji B's of the world trippin', local big timers and lil' dudes clamoring as well. The song had so much of a buzz that on the verge of it being shelved Columbia decided to release it officially.

You obviously have what a "club banger" really is twisted. Some shit that'll get people dancing not some song that will cause youto have some spastic reaction.

• so it's "deej", not "dee-j"?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

You obviously have what a "club banger" really is twisted. Some shit that'll get people dancing not some song that will cause youto have some spastic reaction.
    No. Step your reading comprehension game up.
    This isn't some 'me dancing in the mirror' shit, i'm talking about how people react to the song. Reacting positively =/ "whoa this shit bangs"

But whatever, think you what you feel. I didnt intend to derail the fucking topic, like i said they played that mary j blige song in clubs and people really liked it but i don't call that a 'banger' either. Do you?

• You obviously have what a "club banger" really is twisted. Some shit that'll get people dancing not some song that will cause youto have some spastic reaction.

No. Step your reading comprehension game up.
    This isn't some 'me dancing in the mirror' shit, i'm talking about how people react to the song.

"Big Pimpin" was a club banger, utterly rhythmic and inherently danceable. "

unless you where just hangin' out and taking notes on your hello-kitty notepad, I think The_Deej was chicken noodle soupin' with the best of them!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    So many suspect ass opinions on here posted every day, and i get jumped on over some semantic definition of 'club banger'? gtfoohwtbs

Did you guys call 'Still Tippin' a banger? 'We Belong Together'?

I'm sayin, everybody defines 'club banger' somewhat differently, plenty of shit is huge in clubs that isn't neccessarily 'banging,' it relies on subtlety or familiarity or some sort of social recognition or its unique sound, that doesnt mean its automatically a 'banger' but hey if you think anything that is popular in clubs is a banger thats what you think. christ

• So many suspect ass opinions on here posted every day, and i get jumped on over some semantic definition of 'club banger'? gtfoohwtbs

chillax. It's just comedy

*NOCK*

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That look is becoming of you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haha I should have realized "1 Thing" would be off limits for anything resembling dissing on soulstrut. "sampled the meters!" = x10,000

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    haha I should have realized "1 Thing" would be off limits for anything resembling dissing on soulstrut. "sampled the meters!" = x10,000
    So you can't find the groove on "1 Thing"?

• I donno if I'd call "One Thing" a club banger.

Disconnected from the club
    I know it got played at clubs and its a great song but...nah. Its not v. good dance track.

True that. Head-nodder but not a floor-filler.

How about Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra "Che Che Cole Makossa"? Shit works everywhere.
    [/quote

have yet to get further than this reply....

you cant be serious as to dismiss one thing and replace with antibalas ??!!! try that in any top 40 club and watch the floor clear.
    antibalas is not even on the radio...c'mon.
    as a dj who makes a living off of clubs.....one thing was a certified "club banger" at its peak you would get requests allllll night

whens the last time i was asked to play antibalas ??????

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    If you get requests all night for the pussycat dolls, is that a CERTIFIED CLUB BANGER?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

"One Thing" doesn't have a groove; its a looped drum solo.

We call them "breaks"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    So you can't find the groove on "1 Thing"?

I guess it has one but its very loose and largely free of any sort of comfortable pocket, its a difficult track to get people into; i bet you before the track was a hit if someone tried to play it it would totally clear the floor. I bet a lot of people would also ask about it, cuz its a great song, but its not the most straightforward 'banging' groove, no. its a weird song to become a hit.

And I'm sorta tired of repeating myself at this point so

no more questions.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"One Thing" doesn't have a groove; its a looped drum solo.

We call them "breaks"
    I know wtf a break is dude.
    'breakbeats' have grooves though, we're talking about the fill, the parts where the drummer has departed from the groove.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If you get requests all night for the pussycat dolls, is that a CERTIFIED CLUB BANGER?

Depends on the club, dude.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Pussycat Dolls is a "club banger" in white clubs, yes. That's just a fact.

If it bangs in a club, it's a "club banger." End of story.

As has been said repeatedly, "1 Thing" was and is a huge club hit that girls at both black and white clubs loved shaking their ass to.

Just because you find it "grooveless" doesn't mean the girl you're staring at does too. Music is subjective, and the best argument against your ridiculous argument is the plan fact that motherfuckers loved dancing to this shit for a long ass time.

You've said a whole lot of ridiculous shit on this board in the past month or so, but this takes the fucking cake.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Depends on the club, dude.
    Really?
    See when i think 'banger' i also think 'good song'

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Believe it or not, I kinda understand what Deej is trying to say. It's different from say a "Crazy in Love", where there's a strong and steady downbeat. and imho, much easier to dance to than "one thing".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as much as i hate to defend deej, i think his point was that while 1 thing is a great song, it's not a "rush the floor with my girlz in tow" song of the "crazy in love" caliber

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    i bet you before the track was a hit if someone tried to play it it would totally clear the floor.

Wrong.

Cosmo put me up on this song in October or November of 2004. I played it for a couple months before it really started hitting in the clubs and it always got a good response--even before people had any idea who the hell it was.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

As has been said repeatedly, "1 Thing" was and is a huge club hit that girls at both black and white clubs loved shaking their ass to.

Just because you find it "grooveless" doesn't mean the girl you're staring at does too. Music is subjective, and the best argument against your ridiculous argument is the plan fact that motherfuckers loved dancing to this shit for a long ass time.

You've said a whole lot of ridiculous shit on this board in the past month or so, but this takes the fucking cake.

-e
    Emil are you actually reading anything I'm saying?
    You really call anything popular a 'club banger' ok wtf ever. I think thats stupid and makes the term meaningless but hey to each his own, i'll make sure not to talk about how music actually sounds ever again.

And for the last fucking time this isn't about how 'i personally' react to the song, if you watch how people dance to a song you can learn a lot about whats going on, and when people 'dance' to "one thing" is a lot different than how they dance to "big pimpin" or a track i'd call a 'banger.'

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    as much as i hate to defend deej, i think his point was that while 1 thing is a great song, it's not a "rush the floor with my girlz in tow" song of the "crazy in love" caliber

Where were you people a year and a half ago? It totally was a "rush the floor with my girlz" song.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Fucking thank you.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Where were you people a year and a half ago? It totally was a "rush the floor with my girlz" song.

-e
    yeah, when the song was still "new." i doubt you will have the same reaction now while "crazy in love" will probably always have that reaction. this is my last post in this thread because i don't want to be drawn into deej's idiocy any deeper

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

-e

it's a club banger no doubt. but i'd take "crazy in love" all day.

• If you get requests all night for the pussycat dolls, is that a CERTIFIED CLUB BANGER?

as far as "CLUBS" go .....yes, the epitome of. Your reference to mary j blige is weak.....thats not prime time material. Lots of songs get played in the club, not all are "bangers" you are missing the point of "club banger"

meaning rime time , not to be played when its dead. songs that get the most response of women screaming, whether you like the song or not....
    ask your self this, how many songs that have went on to be MASSIVE club songs are made up of stabs and
    a drum track ? hmmmmmm 50 cent in the club maybe ?

list your top 10 club bangers, antibalas best not be in it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    deej's idiocy

wtf? weak dudes

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

-e
    Emil are you actually reading anything I'm saying?

You really call anything popular a 'club banger' ok wtf ever. I think thats stupid and makes the term meaningless but hey to each his own, i'll make sure not to talk about how music actually sounds ever again.

And for the last fucking time this isn't about how 'i personally' react to the song, if you watch how people dance to a song you can learn a lot about whats going on, and when people 'dance' to "one thing" is a lot different than how they dance to "big pimpin" or a track i'd call a 'banger.'

Of course I'm reading what you're saying, but you're just plain wrong, dude. You're talking about "how the music sounds," but in a completely self-centered vaccum. The simple fact is: just because you find the sampled "fill"/"break" grooveless does not mean that that was the dominant reaction to the song--and, quite frankly, it WAS NOT.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Don't give me this 'everything's relative' shit, just because two people see a mountain from a different angle doesn't mean there is no mountain. You might as well say talking about music is useless entirely and i dont agree with that.

Believe it or not, I kinda understand what Deej is trying to say. It's different from say a "Crazy in Love", where there's a strong and steady downbeat. and imho, much easier to dance to than "one thing".[/b]