Corky fightin' the power

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    he was my first NYC celebrity sighting... he was at Tower Books n Video and he bought a movie and had trouble opening it and asked a clerk to do it. i watched the whole thing from behind a magazine rack...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    thanks...i guess.

but how were you made aware of this video...? and if you found it on your own searches through youtube, please do tell you search criteria.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    thanks...i guess.

but how were you made aware of this video...? and if you found it on your own searches through youtube, please do tell you search criteria.

during my infamous "Lunch with screech" he raved about a bootleg tape he picked up of Corky doing a full concert as Elvis.

If someone can find that shit on youtube I'll be happy as fuck

• Thank god! I've wasted so much cheeto breath trying to tell people
    about this episode for years...how many times could it have aired?
    People never believe me.

I can't remember or understand why the parents are so horrified though.
    Dude can kind of dance.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    his family gets the gasface, he was

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    someone posted on another baord Corky and his "band" playing at a community center and I found the Public Enemy thing after watching that...here is one i will go to hell for for posting...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I can't remember or understand why the parents are so horrified though.

They were upset because he was performing 'Negro music'.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    someone posted on another baord Corky and his "band" playing at a community center and I found the Public Enemy thing after watching that...here is one i will go to hell for for posting...

OMG

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'm not sure what it says about grindcore cookie monster type vocalists that the kid with down's syndrome sounds much better...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The tone of this thread is really wack.

I said I was going to hell

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

Screw Corky. Peep his sister's boyfriends hair and dance moves.

• The tone of this thread is really wack.

First of all not every show centered on Corky. No. Usually it was the pathetic ideals that his ex-hippie baby-boomer parents pushed on us Sunday viewers. Or how older sister Paige rejects men resembling Wall Street traders for lowly artists. And who could forget Becca, the true star of the show for not being so shallow as to end her infatuation with Tyler for the AIDS-stricken Jessie who loved to paint her nude and help out in her anti censorship marches on the local record store. Meanwhile Corky was always left doing something childish that pretty much took away from his story of struggling to be normal. "Life Goes On" was a platform for the producers to launch their liberal views on an unsuspecting audience waiting to see the "ABC Sunday Night Movie" which usually was "Star Trek II". Oh blah dee BLAH BLAH!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I guess I don't sense a negative or cruel tone here.

I don't know...I think people get way too protective (in a subconsciously condescending way) toward the mentally challenged. Most of those folks looked pretty high functioning to me (and for what it's worth, my folks fostered mentally challenged kids so I grew up with these sort of folks from day one) and look to be having a swell time. I think people often assume that the mentally disabled don't need to have fun, or more to the point, they just don't consider what they might need at all. The video clips are whatever you assign to them, IMO.

I have actually been considering volunteering my DJ services to a group home or center to see if they would be interested in having a dance for their residents. They need outlets and socialization perhaps even more so than the rest of us.

although I found the premise of a metal band(and bad one at that) playing a school/home a little crazy and the kids reactions funny, it looks like they are having a blast listening/dancing to the band...they are having fun.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The video clips are whatever you assign to them
    "band"

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Me neither.
    Folks take shit WAY too serious around here.

• at first it tripped me up abit,but yeah...the folks are having a fookin blast...and the dude who screams in the mic rules! this is cool.

• I'm just laughing my ass off at the video because it's some kind of family function and they have a hardcore metal band playing there. That's what tripped me out. It's like going to a family reunion and Cannibal Corpse is the entertainment.

• The tone of this thread is really wack.

I don't know...I think people get way too protective (in a subconsciously condescending way) toward the mentally challenged. Most of those folks looked pretty high functioning to me (and for what it's worth, my folks fostered mentally challenged kids so I grew up with these sort of folks from day one) and look to be having a swell time. I think people often assume that the mentally disabled don't need to have fun, or more to the point, they just don't consider what they might need at all. The video clips are whatever you assign to them, IMO.

I have actually been considering volunteering my DJ services to a group home or center to see if they would be interested in having a dance for their residents. They need outlets and socialization perhaps even more so than the rest of us.

I taught handicapped kids in Japan... And one day they music teacher, who knew I DJed, asked if I would bring my turntables and teach them a little. These were jr. high kids. They did a little unit on hip-hop, and even wrote little raps.

It was great... The kids loved it. Sure my needles were shot afterwards, but it was worth it. I got a video of it, and to me, the funniest thing about it is my forced subdued reaction as my gear is getting trashed a bit.

But hell yeah... these folks need and like fun just like everyone else. In fact even more so, because they are often more in touch with that side of themselves, and not so self conscious.

I think the mentally handicapped are Buddhas.

Peace...
    FNM