The worst artist in the world is.........

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Charley Pride. In a survey of 5 local thrift stores, I found more Charley Pride records than any other single artist. Following the logic that thrift store dollar bins are the very last filter in a long line of record exchanges denoting value and likability, one can only come to the conclusion that Charley Pride is the worst artist in the world. other notable contenders.Englebert Humperdink101 strings (particuarly when they got into doing "Spanish" music)Barbra StreisandThe people have spoken. Charley Pride you are the worst artist in the world, congratulations.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    On the subject of Charlie Pride, when he opened his shows, beore it was known that he was black, before the labels would put his pic on the cover of albums in fear of losing record sales, he would open his shows with a song called "Black Speck" poking fun at all the audience members finding out he was black for the first time. A teacher of mine is offering $100 for any recorded format of this song...any one got any leads?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Charley Pride.

Englebert Humperdink
    101 strings (particuarly when they got into doing "Spanish" music)
    Barbra Streisand

This is probably dependant on location, but I see WAY more Babs than Charly in my neck of the woods. And although I think they're great, late 70's Sylvers and Ashford and Simpson could be added to that list based on the sheer number of times I've seen their stuff in the bins.

SG

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    We're not talking Pride raers right now. We're talking about this shit right here, savvy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    On the subject of Charlie Pride, when he opened his shows, beore it was known that he was black, before the labels would put his pic on the cover of albums in fear of losing record sales, he would open his shows with a song called "Black Speck" poking fun at all the audience members finding out he was black for the first time. A teacher of mine is offering $100 for any recorded format of this song...any one got any leads?

I think you've got your black country singers confused. Charley often did joke about his ethnic heritage early in his career, but that was O.B. McClinton (yet another African-American C&W vocalist) who recorded "Black Speck" (a song ABOUT Charley Pride). I've never heard of it being on any album, but the DJ copy of the single (on Mercury, ca. 1976) had a special flipside where McClinton explained the song, his career as a black man in a white category, and why he chose to use the word "nigger" prominently in the chorus. Good luck tracking it down.

By the way, I was watching the movie Nashville last night, this 1975 movie that lampooned country music the same way This Is Spinal Tap roasted heavy metal (only Nashville wasn't a pseudo-documentary). Anyway, this flick has a character named "Tommy Brown" who was obviously supposed to be a dig at Charley. Not because he's black and singing country, but when we see him singing, he's doing the same kind of bland middle-of-the-road material that Charley seemed to crank out (Charley Pride wasn't exactly known for hard-driving honky-tonk music). If anybody's seen this movie and wants to talk about it, let's start another thread - I am currently obsessed with it!

(But not to the point where I'm gonna hijack another man's thread!)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Charley Pride.

Englebert Humperdink
    Barbra Streisand

This is probably dependant on location, but I see WAY more Babs than Charly in my neck of the woods.

And where I'm at, I see WAY more lesbian folk than either (although Streisand is up there). I never see much Charley in the thrifts per se, but he's all over the used stores.

I THINK The Soul Of Spain was the most popular 101 Strings album ever released (we're talking Top 10 in Billboard), which may be why you see that album and its' sequels the most.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Barbra Streisand
    Barbra Streisand
    Barbra Streisand
    Barbra Streisand
    Barbra Streisand
    Barbra Streisand

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Tom Jones

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Jim Nabors. He's got this hands down.
    Engelbert Humperdink
    Dan Fogelberg
    Jackson Browne
    Barbra Streisand
    99% of Christmas albums
    Roger Williams
    Mitch Miller
    Glen Miller
    Andy Williams
    Lawrence Welk

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

99% of Christmas albums

I see your 99% and raise you a .9%

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

99% of Christmas albums

I see you're 99% and raise you a .9%

Hottt Garbage

• loggins and messina

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Dood. Who'd tap that? I think I might have in college. You know, for yucks. That'd be a GREAT story to tell over beers: "Remember that time I was tapping babs?"

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    matthew barney

that made me laugh.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

99% of Christmas albums

I see you're 99% and raise you a .9%

Hottt Garbage

Funniest thing i've seen in awhile---one of the Salvation Armys' in my city had nothing but Firestone records. No joke, there were probably a few Streisand, 101 Strings, and misc. shit, but it was like 90% Firestone records. Was a waste of gasoline getting there.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Taco Monroe has a copy?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Tom Jones

No.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Olivia Newton John's manager just called to inform me that she is "the queen of the dollar dollar holla bin". I apologize to her Xanaduness.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Seals & Croft
    Linda Rhonstadt
    Steve Martin "A Wild and Crazy Guy" (a local record store donated about 50 copies of this to one thrift store about two years ago and I think they still have them all in the bins)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    why is herb alpert not mentioned.

one of the thrift stores in my hometown had all...4 or 5 of the first albums, EASILY 20 copies of each, and i am not joking. they were all in a row too, which i found kinda funny.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    joan armatrading.
    peace, stein. . .

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    joan armatrading.

I couldn't agree more.

and no dissing Herb, you 'erb!

• Scuba Slim

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    joan armatrading.
    peace, stein. . .

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I like this Joan Armatrading LP. Perhaps, AP will concur.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Charley Pride.

In a survey of 5 local thrift stores, I found more Charley Pride records than any other single artist. Following the logic that thrift store dollar bins are the very last filter in a long line of record exchanges denoting value and likability, one can only come to the conclusion that Charley Pride is the worst artist in the world.

other notable contenders.

Englebert Humperdink
    Barbra Streisand

The people have spoken. Charley Pride you are the worst artist in the world, congratulations.

Why you wanna do Charley Pride like that? It's worth remembering that the reason thrift stores/charity shops always carry records by cats like him, Engelbert Humperdinck, Streisand and (in the UK, especially) Max Bygraves, Mantovani and Andy Williams is because, at some point down the line, they sold a lot of records, which has to count for something.

And irrespective of charity shop ubiquity, I'd like to say "Fuck Michael Bolton". Yes, yes, y'all.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I'm at the point where I just want to break every copy of Carole King's "Tapestry" that I see.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

In a survey of 5 local thrift stores, I found more Charley Pride records than any other single artist.
    So 5 stores in your area can let you know who's the worst artist, in the WORLD...

I don't think I've ever seen any of his records in my part of the world.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I'm at the point where I just want to break every copy of Carole King's "Tapestry" that I see.

It's too late is my jam.