.mac membership

nicholasnicholas 38 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
seems like a sip-off to me. without virex why is it worth it?

Comments

• nicholasnicholas 38 Posts
    i will take that silence as a no.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've used a few free trials. It's cool for the unlimited bandwidth. If you have your own domain and server space then don't fuck with it.

Try the free trial. That's the best way to find out.

BTW, it used to be free back in the day. Pissed a bunch of people off when they started charging.

I've used a few free trials. It's cool for the unlimited bandwidth. If you have your own domain and server space then don't fuck with it.

Try the free trial. That's the best way to find out.

BTW, it used to be free back in the day. Pissed a bunch of people off when they started charging.

yeah see i all want is this:

automated backup of a folder every couple of days.
    it is about 100mb presently but will grow.

.mac looks ok as no bandwidth/upload charge.
    but what about this: http://jungledisk.com/

it contains all my research and i am scared of losing years of work.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it depends on the user.

if you have iLife 06, then the intergration of the apps w/ iWeb is excellent for people who want to post content online, but lack html skills. Creating photo/video/podcasting blogs is a snap.

If it's a first time mac user, then the online tutorials are great. Lots of free video content helping folks on how to use their mac and assorted programs.

I find the most handy feature is the online synching of address book and bookmarks. I have multiple comps and that allows me to keep both comps updated w/ the same data.

It is NOT for everybody, especially not tech nerds. But as an all in one suite, it is great for the avg person/family.

yeah i just tried to use jungledisc and i struggled.
    is might cheap - about 100 times cheaper than .mac, but it is just so easy to sync a mac with .idisc.
    you can apparently use .mac's backup utility to backup to jungledisc and not idisc but i cant get it to work.

if i can i will let you know as that is by far the better option.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    yeah see i all want is this:

automated backup of a folder every couple of days.
    it is about 100mb presently but will grow.

.mac looks ok as no bandwidth/upload charge.
    but what about this: http://jungledisk.com/

it contains all my research and i am scared of losing years of work.

Do you have a mac? Might want to look at a cheap firewire HD. That will give you space for years of data, and you can back up 100 megs in only a few seconds.

I'm paranoid, I do weekly backups to a firewire HD, then monthly backups of the essentials to DVD-R.

For just 100MB, a cheap solution would be to back up to a USB flash drive or CD-R. A lexar 1-gig USB flash drive is around $50. They aren't great for long-term backups, but for weekly backups or transfer it's fine. This is the solution I suggest for professors in my department (I'm a grad student in communication). It's best to have data stored in multiple places so if you have an HD failure on your machine, you have multiple options.

As for security, check out the new run of HDs coming out with biometrics (thumb scanners)! Like the iQBioDrive.

• As for security, check out the new run of HDs coming out with biometrics (thumb scanners)! Like the iQBioDrive.

yes, but what i am looking for though is this:

1. offsite storage.
    2. automatic backup.

.mac is the easiest for this. but some way of setting up amazon s3 to update one folder daily would be around 20 times cheaper if i could do it.

ps. i have a usb and external. but what if i get broken into? they aren;t going to take a 160gb lacie external? or what if the house burns down? im not just paranoid however, i just dont want to have to think about it once i have found a solution, i want automation.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    yes, but what i am looking for though is this:

1. offsite storage.
    2. automatic backup.

.mac is the easiest for this. but some way of setting up amazon s3 to update one folder daily would be around 20 times cheaper if i could do it.

ps. i have a usb and external. but what if i get broken into? they aren;t going to take a 160gb lacie external? or what if the house burns down? im not just paranoid however, i just dont want to have to think about it once i have found a solution, i want automation.

Ahh, I see!

I've been happy with .mac, the way it's integrated into OSX is very smooth and handy. However it's not speedy as a local backup, and I wouldn't say off-site storage is a fail-safe. (.mac account could get hacked into or the server goes down)

Retrospect does automated backups to network locations through FTP. You could just get a storage account somewhere and do a backup with a single click. Then you could be using .mac or any other company, and it would be equally easy. I'd really suggest this route if you're sold on a network backup strategy.

i have an account with amazon.
    its just so fekin hard to use!
    even the new app. jungledisk makes no sense to me and doesnt seem to automate backups daily. pain.