When producers change their image...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    OK, who wants to fill 'er in?
    IMG SRC=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9604/shadowgoth0ta.gif>

Me sample angry now.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Shadow has the makings of a Rick Rubin career if he plays his shit right.

Shadow is not as talented as Rick Rubin.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

sure, dude has grown up and i'm willing to let the b&w dracula pics slide, but this white suite ensemble? is he wearing eye makeup? c'mon dog, tone it down.

Shadow is almost on some so self-loathing of my past right now. but yo...so Shadow gets the "HYPHY"-token cover? Not an actual "hyphy" (damn Im starting to hate that fuckin' term) artiste.

i know, i'm not trying to hatt, but there's a step between his "i'm a super b-boy" style of old and this "david-byrne-elder-statesman-sophisticate-artiste" look that he skipped.

If I remember correctly dude even penned the phrase "B-BOY SECRECY" in his BBE comp *CRINGE!*.

yeah, and now it looks he's jumped to, (spoken loudly into a Treo 700) "I want 15 points or no deal! Universal can kiss my ass if they don't like it!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i mean as much as he wants to change up shit, there has to be a point where he must realize that he looks utterly fucking ridiculous

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i know, i'm not trying to hatt, but there's a step between his "i'm a super b-boy" style of old and this "david-byrne-elder-statesman-sophisticate-artiste" look that he skipped.

True, but how many cats you see w/ the Wack buttondown/Expensive jeans/Custom kicks/Shiny wristwatch style are we gonna see. U gotta give him props for jumpin over that Complex magazine shit. Not that I dont dress like that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dude's new look would benefit from some chesthair.

Time to schedule more sessions with Keak.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    i guarantee there was a stylist involved here. dude is in his thirties. we all gotta start wearing grown folks clothes some day.

Personally, I'm not really trying too see dude in a white sweatshirt with matching white pants, white shoes, and white baseball cap (KEEK THE SNEEKROSS HOGG I SEE YOU!), but damn man...you can't shoehorn it like this. He was also recently seen sporting some BAPE.

What's funny is that the gear that ge is wearing is more in line with what he used to make and his clothes back then have more in common with the music he's trying to make now (is that like...irony or something?)

we've spent too much time tawnin' 'bout his clothes. we need to move on.

Shadow has the makings of a Rick Rubin career if he plays his shit right.

Shadow is not as talented as Rick Rubin.

True. Let me just say he can be in this for the long haul if he has the correct game plan.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    i mean as much as he wants to change up shit, there has to be a point where he must realize that he looks utterly fucking ridiculous

sayin'. he just went too far.

i submit for your approval... (not necessarily just for Shadow, but mainly for white dudes)

Age 20 - full b-boy style: skullies, cargos, down vests, crazy nikes

Age 30 - tasteful button down, expensive jeans, and a nice watch

Age 40 - add a blazer to Age 30, maybe some smart glasses, nicer watch

Age 50 - crazy white suit, weird thick-rimmed glasses, longer hair?, pretentious magazine covers

Age 60 - If you're still in the music game by this age, wear whatever you want.

Age 20 - full b-boy style: skullies, cargos, down vests, crazy nikes

BAN

I don't remember taking that picture with Josh and Mike Myers. I sense there's been some trickery involved.

• I don't remember taking that picture with Josh and Mike Myers. I sense there's been some trickery involved.

What do you think Josh should name the look?

I don't remember taking that picture with Josh and Mike Myers. I sense there's been some trickery involved.

What do you think Josh should name the look?

RELAX YOUR BACK

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    the "my collar will put your eye out if you pop it" look?

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Unfortunately, there's a book to write about producers carrying their fav beatmachine and take a pic of it. It could be done nicely but most of the time, they carry it in a ridiculous way (ie this Shadow pic)...crazy schit is that you never carry your MPC like that in real life...pics are suspect to me. Clothes and lighting are garbage. I would be pissed if it was me...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i guarantee there was a stylist involved here. dude is in his thirties. we all gotta start wearing grown folks clothes some day.

These are not grown folks clothes, though--they look like they came from the Halloween shop.

Personally, I'm not really trying too see dude in a white sweatshirt with matching white pants, white shoes, and white baseball cap (KEEK THE SNEEKROSS HOGG I SEE YOU!), but damn man...you can't shoehorn it like this. He was also recently seen sporting some BAPE.

What's funny is that the gear that ge is wearing is more in line with what he used to make and his clothes back then have more in common with the music he's trying to make now (is that like...irony or something?)

Jeezus, dude--do you have a degree in this fashawn schitt?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm still stuck on "you can't shoehorn it like this."

I'm still stuck on "you can't shoehorn it like this."

Young Phonics undoubtedly could have helped him with a more organic* approach... sand off those rough aesthetic edges.

*"digger"-themed tees + suede blazer

And this:

He was also recently seen sporting some BAPE.

Young Phonics's army of invisible fashion elves is everywhere, reporting back to him on who's been naughty and who's been putting it together real nice.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    don't forget the short-brimmed army cap and aviator shades.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Unfortunately, there's a book to write about producers carrying their fav beatmachine and take a pic of it. It could be done nicely but most of the time, they carry it in a ridiculous way (ie this Shadow pic)...crazy schit is that you never carry your MPC like that in real life...pics are suspect to me. Clothes and lighting are garbage. I would be pissed if it was me...

I think it was meant to look like a boombox. Whether that was achieved in the picture obviously is up for debate. But what is the proper way to carry your MPC?

The bar is set pretty high for DJ Shadow -- this dude could invent a time machine and folks on Soul Strut would be like: The seats in that Delorian are made out of pleather?!? That's bogus!

However, dude does look like he's a vampire.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The bar is set pretty high for DJ Shadow -- this dude could invent a time machine and folks on Soul Strut would be like: The seats in that Delorian are made out of pleather?!? That's bogus!

However, dude does look like he's a vampire.

See "THE OFFICIAL HATE ON SHADOWS NEW ALBUM!" thread for more.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    OK, who wants to fill 'er in?
    IMG SRC=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9604/shadowgoth0ta.gif>

Grown folks biz.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    what? who cares?

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    hahahahaha, I respect y'all here at the soulstrut boards a lot... but getting this anal about a couple of pictures is just ridiculous.

it's just a f%$##king photoshoot!

besides, he still wears the same stuff;

http://www.urb.com/online/features/djshadow.shtml