I gotta ship a 78....

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
...anybody have a sure fire way? I have never shipped one before. I am thinking putting it between two pieces of corrugated card board, then a layer of bubble wrap on the top and bottom, then another layer of carboard, then a another layer of bubble wrap, then one last layer of carboard. Hoping this would displace any instance of pressure anywhere on the box across the layers of carboard to be absorbed by the bubble wrap. The capper is that the fugger is going to Italy. Dude didnt purchase insurance, so if it does get smashed on the trip over, it is really kinda his fault he would be out the $$$, but dont want to upset a customer..I want him to buy more 78s....

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ...anybody have a sure fire way? I have never shipped one before. I am thinking putting it between two pieces of corrugated card board, then a layer of bubble wrap on the top and bottom, then another layer of carboard, then a another layer of bubble wrap, then one last layer of carboard. Hoping this would displace any instance of pressure anywhere on the box across the layers of carboard to be absorbed by the bubble wrap. The capper is that the fugger is going to Italy. Dude didnt purchase insurance, so if it does get smashed on the trip over, it is really kinda his fault he would be out the $$$, but dont want to upset a customer..I want him to buy more 78s....

78s require insurance. No matter how well you pack them, they can still break from slight outside pressure and minor shifts in temperature.

I realize it is extremely expensive to insure overseas shipping, but that's about the only way to cover yourself.

I can actually break 78s by looking at them.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I can actually break 78s by looking at them.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

rather than packing the record in multiple tight layers, I would simply put the record in a standard record mailer, and then place that mailer in a larger box with styrofoam peanuts or something. That way there is no pressure put on the internal record mailer at all (think of a yolk in an egg).

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

rather than packing the record in multiple tight layers, I would simply put the record in a standard record mailer, and then place that mailer in a larger box with styrofoam peanuts or something. That way there is no pressure put on the internal record mailer at all (think of a yolk in an egg).

true... thanks...

I think I am gonna try out a couple different methods with some Bing Crosby 78s and toss the boxes around, drop 'em, etc....will post results

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    (think of a yolk in an egg).

Worth doing once in awhile, shipping advice or not. Just think of a yolk in an egg. It's pretty cool.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The winning packaging method was the "yolk method"

The best combo was

the 78 inbetween two pieces of 12"x12" cardboard then packed in a bags unlimited standard LP mailer. The mailer was then put in one of the large (3" high) bagsunlimited LP mailers, with a layer of crumpled up newspaper balls on the bottom, the LP mailer, then a top layer of of those little bags of air thingys.

A Bing Crosby 78 was put through the following abuse.

1. dropped from a 4" workbench
    2. tossed appx. 10 feet in the air
    3. thrown to the ground hard on its side and flat
    4. tossed against a wall
    5. thrown against a the corner of a concrete step (this caused a puncture hole on the top of the box) twice
    6. kicked across a garage floor
    7. a brick from the original Stax studio dropped on top of the box

The 78 was unharmed.

I know this isnt the definitve test (I really couldnt do harsh changes in temp/humidity) but I feel I put it through some abuse.