hatters glossary of collectro sub genres

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Folk Psych - singer songwriters with sub-standard to merely adequate songwriting/voices that are badly recorded. The "psychedelic"(these records are barely psychedelic) aspect of the records are usally a result of bad microphones and the occasional use of reverb.add on!

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "wicked fuzz guitar" = standard rock use of a distortion pedal

---

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    FREAKBEAT
    As far as I can tell, its original meaning was obscure mid-60s whiteboy r'n'b-based rock of British origin. Now it seems to mean any non-USA rock/garage/soul record from 1964-1974. In any case, I ain't mad at it; I tend to like at least 50% of the records labeled with the tag.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Random Rap

rappers & producers with sub-standard to merely adequate lyrics/flow/beatmaking that are badly recorded and shittly pressed. The "random" aspect of the records are usually a result of the producer randomly getting the tempo correct and the occasional use of Apache drums.

Beach Music

Slightly obscure early to mid sixties black soul/R&B that white people from the Carolinas like to shag to (the worst dance evar?).

Some Beach Music 45s are also Northern Soul 45s.

But in my fantastic privert minds gurden. I call them soul rakards.

• avant garde-(insert word here)

• "NEW WEIRD AMERICA" ??????

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Trip-Hop..............

Let me pull back the reins here. Y'all mean collectro terms, not music mag terms.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Beach Music

Slightly obscure early to mid sixties black soul/R&B that white people from the Carolinas like to shag to (the worst dance evar?).

CAREFUL SON

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Race Music

Beach Music

CAREFUL SON

shit. i'm from the carolinas and the beach. so don't fucking tet my billywardandthedominoes.raer, bitch.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    BAPE-RAP

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    on a serious tip, i came up on the term "Sympho" on the innernets, which apparently is short for "symphonic rock." is anyone into this stuff? is it just like hella strings and stuff? plaese to essplain. im disconnected from the collectro-ing streetz.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Race Music

Can I get a consensus on the definition of "FUNKY BLACK-MAN SOUL" AKA not that White's music?