Philadelphia

13»

Comments

• we got a house in Northern Liberties. Leithgow and George I believe. Philly sounds like a cooll place. it'll be fun to explore the other spots you guys mentioned.

you're a couple blocks from me, hit me with a pm w/ any questions, advice etc..

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Just FYI, what is known as the Art Museum area technically extends as far north as Girard Avenue (I know because I recently purchased a property over there). Hot area as far as real estate goes and most of it is very nice indeed, but some of it is straight up HOOD. So just be forewarned, if you check out any ads that say "art museum area" you may be wise to pack some heat. Or at least be ready to lock your car doors at the first sight of any undesireables.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i got some people who are holding things down on thompson. you know them phil.

didnt realize there are so many philly heads on the board...i thought it was like 5-6 people max

who we getting in the draft?

i used to play ball in fishtown in high school...scummy place. and yes, a very malnourished place too. my friend in the neighborhood tried to get into playing shape on a pretzel and hotdog diet plan.

• Don't worry about the Penitentiary. It's a historical destination these days, as one of the first prisons to be built utilizing Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon design, in which a single guard sits in a room at the center of a group of cells which radiate outward like spokes, thus enabling him to police many prisoners at once (this is a simplified explanation of Bentham's design).

Anyway, the point is the place hasn't functioned as a prison for a long long time.

I took a tour of that prison a few years ago. Definitely one of the most fascinating historical places I've been to. I believe it operated until the 1970s by which time the prisoners were supposedly growing pot in their windowsills.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    que pasa, guys.

my bro was living in southwest philly -- eastwick-- with my older brother and neice until a month or so ago. they moved to the northeast, on the border of the neighborhoods of bridesburg and frankford--in a pretty large row home that is well kept and modern--for only 820/mo.!

the problem there is that it is sort of inconvenient, yet closer to his place of work (less than 4 miles from his place of work in north philly's nicetown/hunting park section vs. 11 miles from eastwick)

as far as neighorhoods go, he liked eastwick and the west/southwest parts of philly for its strong sense of diversity-- where jamaicans and africans/af. americans/and asians ran supreme. the only problem is that while there is a nice culture there--it is not the place to raise a young kid about to enter grade school where multiple students 7 years old and younger brought crack to.

bridesburg is pretty much like a fishtown, but the demographics are changing to where it is becoming more diverse (a latino family are neighbors). it's very working class. still, it is fairly uncomfortable with someone like myself who gets creeped out by the enormous showing of us flags on homes and cars (i get creeped out by nationalism and familes--yes, an entire family-- sporting anti-mumia shirts)

they are on the border between the neighborhoods of bridesburg and frankford--a more diverse, but very impoverished and not very safe area.
    the street they are on is fairly quiet, but yeah--again--there is a sense of nationalism amongst many of the older families that live here.

i'd reccomend finding a spot in w. philly . that is probably my fave area of philly and is affordable. i like the overbrook neighborhood there.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Just FYI, what is known as the Art Museum area technically extends as far north as Girard Avenue (I know because I recently purchased a property over there). Hot area as far as real estate goes and most of it is very nice indeed, but some of it is straight up HOOD. So just be forewarned, if you check out any ads that say "art museum area" you may be wise to pack some heat. Or at least be ready to lock your car doors at the first sight of any undesireables.

It goes from one extreme to the other pretty quickly. The young thug crowd is present and there was a shooting in the one neighborhood because a bunch of kids were basically planning to go down a few blocks and rob anyone they could one afternoon. Other neighborhood kids heard it was going to happen, tried to stop it and someone ended up getting shot by like a 16 year old or something. Police presence is heavy down there though. i stayed with my lady while she was housesitting over there and cops were patrolling most of the time. i am talking 25th st around Brown, can't think of the next block up, going away from the museum for anyone familiar.

On the flip, there are a lot of nice houses over there and the end of 25th street i was on was very friendly.

And Brigid's is a real nice place to hang out. Saw that mentioned somewhere in this thread.