Philadelphia

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

...We're looking for a 2 bedroom, $1600 tops, but preferably around $1400. Can anyone drop the knowledge on this place?

You should have no problems... I dont know anyone who drops that much, I'm sure it exists though... just stay away from my thrifts and goodwills...

i'm just not interested in and-1 showboating and/or people looking for a fight.
    Hot Grease all day...

• I live in Philly. I'd recommend West Philadelphia. Still very friendly and cheap. Gentrification has begun, but it's not so far along that funkiness and crazy neighborhood spirit is over. There's a nice park with a monthly People's Flea Market every month. And I pay $725 for a huge two bedroom apartment with a backyard, laundry, basement and easy parking. The train station at 30th Street is in West Philly, so getting to New York is a breeze. If I splurge on the fast Amtrak, I get to BAM before my friends who live in Washington Heights...

Manayunk is yuppies. Fishtown and Nothern Liberties are cocaine hipsters. Olde Towne is young professionals (yuppies with more money). Bella Vista is sorta hip thirtyyearolds with kids. Might be worth looking into --but no yard. West Philly will get you a yard.

This place is great.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    good, non-ghetto, pick up games

I think this means lots of middle aged white guys and no black teenagers.

i don't care who's playing, i'm just not interested in and-1 showboating and/or people looking for a fight.

yep. that sure sounds like the ghetto!

i dont know what you know about ball, but go to any "ghetto" court at 9am on the weekends and odds are you will get a game with no "scary elements", just solid players running pick and rolls and playing ball.

city's are about public space. your dog will probably be happy if you find a place near pennypack park (northeast) or fairmount park. you wont really be able to escape "ghetto" elements unless you get very very far out of the city. yor best bet is finding an apartment in one of the recently gentrified city neighborhoods (there are many).

this isnt LA though. you dont really have to have a car.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Olde city[/b] is young professionals

pretty much agree with your demographic neighborhood breakdown

avoid west philly like the plague......the courts are mad ghetto!!!!!!!

• Olde city[/b] is young professionals

pretty much agree with your demographic neighborhood breakdown

avoid west philly like the plague......the courts are mad ghetto!!!!!!!

Shit, do you play? Do I know you?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My favorite apartment in Philly was on 11th and spruce. You could go everywhere. No yard and parking was a bitch....By the way, you could always live in New Jersey....

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

...We're looking for a 2 bedroom, $1600 tops, but preferably around $1400. Can anyone drop the knowledge on this place?

You should have no problems... I dont know anyone who drops that much, I'm sure it exists though... just stay away from my thrifts and goodwills...

yeah, we're just used to the bay area's prices, but if we can get by on $1000-1200 then more records for me.

yeah, we're just used to the bay area's prices, but if we can get by on $1000-1200 then more records for me.

If you could afford that much why not buy a house?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    bringing this one back.

been looking around a bit, and a few areas have come up that i don't think have been brought up here. anyone know anything about these areas:

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Was just down buy the Art museum on Sunday....25th and something....Are you looking to buy?

My girlfriend is housewatching for a friend of hers.....about 4 blocks if i remember correctly...the address is 888 N. 25th St.....for about a week and a half starting next week. The house is for sale and it is very nice. Nice nieghborhood, 3 bedrooms, nice kitchen. They have a raised deck up on the roof with a nice view. It's about a 10 minute walk to boathouse row. Right by the 48 bus which will get you to Center City (coffee shop directly across the street from the bus stop, if you're a morning guy).

If yer interested let me know and i'll tell her to get all the necessary info for you before the owners leave for vacation. i can probably borrow my roomates digital and snap some pictures for you.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    bringing this one back.

been looking around a bit, and a few areas have come up that i don't think have been brought up here. anyone know anything about these areas:

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

Do not move to Fishtown. Its like someone put a trailer park in the middle of the city. Shit is nasty. I had a friend who lived there for a while and had a brothel across the street. Some unhappy customers got more then they bargained for from the ladies and came back to enact revenge. They poured motor oil all over the sidewalk in front of the guys house. No one cleaned it up for at least a year and a half, shit it might still be there. The whole street smelled like a mechanics shop. Also Fishtown is almost all white and is very racist. My fianc?? went to look at an apartment there and her perspective roommate that went with her was black. The realtor told her it was not a good idea and as they drove up to the house people were yelling shit at her and spitting on the car. Seriously I can not stress how nasty fishtown is.

Graduate hospital and art museum areas are both very nice but parking sucks. If you like to run or bike the art museum area is nice because it puts you right by fairmount park, but graduate hospital is closer to center city and the subway.

bringing this one back.

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

Do not move to Fishtown. Its like someone put a trailer park in the middle of the city. Shit is nasty. I had a friend who lived there for a while and had a brothel across the street. Some unhappy customers got more then they bargained for from the ladies and came back to enact revenge. They poured motor oil all over the sidewalk in front of the guys house. No one cleaned it up for at least a year and a half, shit it might still be there. The whole street smelled like a mechanics shop. Also Fishtown is almost all white and is very racist. My fianc?? went to look at an apartment there and her perspective roommate that went with her was black. The realtor told her it was not a good idea and as they drove up to the house people were yelling shit at her and spitting on the car. Seriously I can not street how nasty fishtown is.

• bringing this one back.

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

The art museum area is Fairmount, which, if I recall, many people here commented on. Great area.

• bringing this one back.

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

Of these four areas the only one I'd recommend is the Art Museum area. The other three areas have various problems, from Fishtown's general skankiness to complete lack of parking in the Graduate Hospital area. And at least half of what realtors call Graduate Hospital is still pretty rundown and ugly. No trees! No greenery!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    bringing this one back.

Graduate Hospital
    Washington Square
    Fishtown
    Art Museum....

wash square is tops on this list, graduate hospital area is ok too. the art museum is nice but its too far from center city, you might as well live in the suburbs and pay less rent. fishtown has been adequately summed-up in previous posts.

if u can find something reasonably priced in wash square i would take it. its already a nice area and its only improving. there are multi-million dollar condos going up around the actual square. its gonna be THE place to live in philly in a couple years. rittenhouse square is overcrowded and boring.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the art museum is nice but its too far from center city, you might as well live in the suburbs and pay less rent.

That's incorrect. The art museum area is just a couple blocks from City Hall (in Center City).

the art museum is nice but its too far from center city, you might as well live in the suburbs and pay less rent.

That's incorrect. The art museum is just a couple blocks from City Hall (in Center City).

Cosign, on the not far part. I never considered the Art Mesuem center city, but it is not far from it and it is also close to west philly and the park.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Also Fishtown is almost all white and is very racist. My fianc?? went to look at an apartment there and her perspective roommate that went with her was black. The realtor told her it was not a good idea and as they drove up to the house people were yelling shit at her and spitting on the car.

so good pick up games, then?

Also Fishtown is almost all white and is very racist. My fianc?? went to look at an apartment there and her perspective roommate that went with her was black. The realtor told her it was not a good idea and as they drove up to the house people were yelling shit at her and spitting on the car.

so good pick up games, then?

I think all of the fetal alcohol syndrome in Fishtown has ruled out the possibility of quality competitive sports.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

That's incorrect. The art museum is just a couple blocks from City Hall (in Center City).

Cosign, on the not far part. I never considered the Art Mesuem center city, but it is not far from it and it is also close to west philly and the park.

Cosign: The Sequel

• the art museum is nice but its too far from center city, you might as well live in the suburbs and pay less rent.

Technically, Fairmount is part of North Philly, but it is not really North Philly. The poster above that said it was so far you might as well live in the suburbs must have been thinking about the Barnes Museum, not the Philadelphia Museum of Art. (Although, the Barnes is moving to Fairmount soon).

I was born and raised in Fairmount. It is a great neighborhood that isn't too active, but isn't too sleepy. There are great schools in the area and it is extremely convenient to basically anywhere else you want to go in Philly either by car, public transportation (not that anything is that convenient in this respect) or foot (for the most part).

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Cosign: The Sequel

i obviously exaggerated on the art museum's distance from cc, but it is definitely not "a couple blocks" away. city hall is around broad and market and the actual art museum is around 22nd and the parkway. a bit of a hike. also, wash sq and grad hospital are much closer to quality restaurants, shopping, and better nightlife options...in my opinion. i have friends who live in the art museum area and love it. i just think the other two options are better, assuming the prices are the same.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    the art museum area looks really nice, although there's a penetentiary close by. my girlfriend was a little turned off by that.

thanks for all the info.

• The Art Museum Area is a five to fifteen minute walk from Center City. Obviously if you measure it from the museum itself to City Hall, the distance is greater. But Whole Foods (next to the library), for instance, is in the Art Museum area -walk across the parkway and you're downtown. Throw in the quiet and ease of parking, and you got Graduate Hospital et al beat.

Of course, West Philly is the best area...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the art museum area looks really nice, although there's a penetentiary close by. my girlfriend was a little turned off by that.

thanks for all the info.

it's a great place

Is there another one around there?

You guys ever had a drink at brigid's right off of fairmont? Good beers !!!!

• Don't worry about the Penitentiary. It's a historical destination these days, as one of the first prisons to be built utilizing Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon design, in which a single guard sits in a room at the center of a group of cells which radiate outward like spokes, thus enabling him to police many prisoners at once (this is a simplified explanation of Bentham's design).

Anyway, the point is the place hasn't functioned as a prison for a long long time.

Don't worry about the Penitentiary. It's a historical destination these days, as one of the first prisons to be built utilizing Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon design, in which a single guard sits in a room at the center of a group of cells which radiate outward like spokes, thus enabling him to police many prisoners at once (this is a simplified explanation of Bentham's design).

Anyway, the point is the place hasn't functioned as a prison for a long long time.

The last real problem at eastern state was probably some little kid throwing up his halloween candy on the tour.

This thread makes me miss philly.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Do not move to Fishtown. Its like someone put a trailer park in the middle of the city. Shit is nasty. I had a friend who lived there for a while and had a brothel across the street. Some unhappy customers got more then they bargained for from the ladies and came back to enact revenge. They poured motor oil all over the sidewalk in front of the guys house. No one cleaned it up for at least a year and a half, shit it might still be there. The whole street smelled like a mechanics shop. Also Fishtown is almost all white and is very racist. My fianc?? went to look at an apartment there and her perspective roommate that went with her was black. The realtor told her it was not a good idea and as they drove up to the house people were yelling shit at her and spitting on the car. Seriously I can not stress how nasty fishtown is.

Graduate hospital and art museum areas are both very nice but parking sucks. If you like to run or bike the art museum area is nice because it puts you right by fairmount park, but graduate hospital is closer to center city and the subway.

When I first moved from Florida in a hurry to Philly about 9 months ago, I ended up living in Fishtown for 6 months. Your description doesn't seem far off from my experience. It seemed like a weird mix of white trash, run-of-the-mill degenerates, and hipster overflow from Northern Liberties. Also add fairly regular petty vandalism/car break-ins.

I live near South & Broad now, and am much happier comparatively - a so-so apt., but w/ parking provided, near one of the major subways, 15 minute walk from anything in the center city-ish area.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    we got a house in Northern Liberties. Leithgow and George I believe. Philly sounds like a cooll place. it'll be fun to explore the other spots you guys mentioned.