Philadelphia

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm moving there with my girl in August. It's impossibly hard to look for a place to live when we live in Cali and don't know the different districts of Philly-cool little sections, places to stay away from...Ideally we'd like something outside the city, but within reasonable commute. Nice, chill neighborhoods with stuff to do (bars, clubs, boutiques, pubs, record shops). We're looking for a 2 bedroom, $1600 tops, but preferably around $1400. Can anyone drop the knowledge on this place?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I could help you out with some general Phila info, but I don't know about anything outside of the city proper, where it sounds like you're looking to settle.

PM me sometime and we can rap.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sellersville

Naw. I no expert, but I heard Manayunk is the new up and coming youngin' community.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I'm moving there with my girl in August. It's impossibly hard to look for a place to live when we live in Cali and don't know the different districts of Philly-cool little sections, places to stay away from...Ideally we'd like something outside the city, but within reasonable commute. Nice, chill neighborhoods with stuff to do (bars, clubs, boutiques, pubs, record shops). We're looking for a 2 bedroom, $1600 tops, but preferably around $1400. Can anyone drop the knowledge on this place?

Its been a couple of years since I lived in philly, but I lived on the 1300 block of Green St. in a one room studio for $575 a month so in your price range you could get a nice place in that area. You can walk to center city you are a block from the subway. Its really close to Wholefoods and Fairmount park. Also several illegal all night bars, as well as a couple of legit spots. The neighborhood in that area is half gentrified collage kids and half Puerto Rican. I always felt really safe there and never had any problems. As for living just outside the city don???t do it. The commute will suck ass. 76 blows and so does Septa. I would just live in the city.

• I'm moving there with my girl in August. It's impossibly hard to look for a place to live when we live in Cali and don't know the different districts of Philly-cool little sections, places to stay away from...Ideally we'd like something outside the city, but within reasonable commute. Nice, chill neighborhoods with stuff to do (bars, clubs, boutiques, pubs, record shops). We're looking for a 2 bedroom, $1600 tops, but preferably around $1400. Can anyone drop the knowledge on this place?

Philly is fairly cheap, so you could defintely find a nice place in the city for that kind of money. It isn't like NY or, from what I understand, CA where you have to live outside of the city to make things work. But, maybe you like living outside of the city and it wasn't a $ thing in the first place. If so, I can't help anymore than Drewn...

• Sellersville

Naw. I no expert, but I heard Manayunk is the new up and coming youngin' community.

Do not move to Manayunk. It won't save you that much $ and the parking is a nightmare.

Sellersville

Not all its cracked up to be, but if you like to hang with folks that look like they just walked out of a real world casting session go for it.

Sellersville

Do not move to Manayunk. It won't save you that much $ and the parking is a nightmare.

That too, in the winter when you are shoveling snow on a 90degree hill you will wish you lived on another planet.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    we're definitely open to any suggestions, city or outside. we plan to have dogs though so a yard would be nice but not crucial.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

What is a reasonable commute? 1/2 hour? 1 hour?
    Let me know & I can give you some ideas about some areas north of Philly.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i agree on the commute comment. 76 is the bane of my existence. When there's no one around it is great and convenient, but god forbid someone gets pulled over or one of those house-on-a-trailer things breaks down (i.e. Me trying to get to the city to take my lady to see Laura Viers last night as a surprise).

You can definately find something in the city in your price range and moving around the city isn't too difficult when you've gotta get where you're going.

A word on Manayunk...young and a lot of fun (in the right spots...i.e. Flatrock, micro brew heaven) but overpriced and parking is more often than not an issue. Some of those hills are downright scary.

If you want to be outside of the city i would suggest looking in Roxborough (sp?) It is just minutes outside of the city and safe too.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Sellersville

Don't goto Manayunk. It's like living in the city minus the culture. If you want to be on the outskirts go with Chesnut Hill or Glenside. If you choose the city Fairmont, Olde city or northern liberties... Oh yea Narberth isn't so bad either....

Sellersville

Don't goto Manayunk. It's like living in the city minus the culture. If you want to be on the outskirts go with Chesnut Hill or Glenside. If you choose the city Fairmont, Olde city or northern liberties... Oh yea Narberth isn't so bad either....

Fairmount or Northern Liberties are fairly affordable, olde city is expensive and filled with Jearsey kids on the weekend.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'd say a half hour is a reasonable commute.

do people actually commute from philly to NY or vice versa? there's a small small chance that i may have to do this, but the idea just sounds crazy.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Oh yea Narberth isn't so bad either....

my home town getting repped on soulstrut!?!

narberth has the best half-court basketball games in the country. other than that, it is also only a 10-15 min drive to center city philadelphia. that's all i got.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

narberth has the best half-court basketball games in the country. other than that, it is also only a 10-15 min drive to center city philadelphia. that's all i got.

dude, i love that shit. i was hoping for some good, non-ghetto, pick up games in philly.

• Sellersville

Fairmount or Northern Liberties are fairly affordable, olde city is expensive and filled with Jearsey kids on the weekend.

I lived in Fairmount for nearly 20 years and think it's a great location. Nice neighborhood feel (maybe not as much anymore). Dotted with interesting shops, restaurants and an impressive, no longer active prison. Also, it's a nice walk to the center of the city and a decent walk to many other areas of interest. Public transportation is good around there, although I hear parking is getting really tough.

Oh, and, of course, a nice amount of trees and quiet.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If you want to ball, live in Doylestown and ride the train into Philly. My area of Bucks County , though attracting some of these NYC/ Jersey A-holes , is as good as living gets.

do people actually commute from philly to NY or vice versa? there's a small small chance that i may have to do this, but the idea just sounds crazy.

People take Amtrack to NY to work daily, but it would be hellish and expensive. I would not reccomend it, but if you do it I would try and live near 30th Street (West Philly) so atleast you don't have a long commute to the train station.

dude, i love that shit. i was hoping for some good, non-ghetto, pick up games in philly.

it is about as organized as you can get for a non-league. there are 4 courts and as you win, you advance to the next court, with court 4, being the "winner's court." games on the weekends start at 9am and by 830, most people are already there with either their own squad or a team they picked up. some old dude acts as an unpaid court monitor. we take this shit seriously.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

People take Amtrack to NY to work daily, but it would be hellish and expensive. I would not reccomend it, but if you do it I would try and live near 30th Street (West Philly) so atleast you don't have a long commute to the train station.

how much is a round trip?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

it is about as organized as you can get for a non-league. there are 4 courts and as you win, you advance to the next court, with court 4, being the "winner's court." games on the weekends start at 9am and by 830, most people are already there with either their own squad or a team they picked up. some old dude acts as an unpaid court monitor. we take this shit seriously.

sounds dope. what type of squads do you see out there?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you'll get a 1/2 hour commute (via car) and get outside of Philly. Roxborough is nice, but most houses are rowhomes, so there won't be much of a yard.

Doylestown is great, but you'll pay to live there.....

Glenside wasn't a bad suggestion, Cheltenham isn't horrible either.

Not sure its been a while since I took it, but you could check the amtrack site its probably around $40 - $50 round trip.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Not sure its been a while since I took it, but you could check the amtrack site its probably around $40 - $50 round trip.

I think it's more like a bill plus. I commuted for a summer internship several days a week a couple years ago, and ended up getting a monthly pass, which would definitely be your best bet. Shit came out of my pocket, so I was making runs to PREX on the weekends to take advantage of it. See if your employer will spring for the transportation cost.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    good, non-ghetto, pick up games

I think this means lots of middle aged white guys and no black teenagers.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I think it's more like a bill plus. I commuted for a summer internship several days a week a couple years ago, and ended up getting a monthly pass, which would definitely be your best bet. Shit came out of my pocket, so I was making runs to PREX on the weekends to take advantage of it. See if your employer will spring for the transportation cost.

Here's a cost breakdown from someone who regularly commutes on Amtrak between NY-PHI

http://amtraktrack.blogspot.com/2005/12/commute-2005-phi-nyc-year-end-wrap-up.html

There's also the alternative of taking a SEPTA regional rail (Philly's public transport) and transferring to a NJ regional rail for a fraction of the cost, but it'll take closer to 2.5 hours instead of less than 90 minutes.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i don't care who's playing, i'm just not interested in and-1 showboating and/or people looking for a fight.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i don't care who's playing, i'm just not interested in and-1 showboating and/or people looking for a fight.