Options

wEEKEND fINDS

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    My new store (Som Records) should be open in DC in two weeks or less. Been working all hours. Did manage to find these in my down time. Some trades, some finds:

Merl Saunders - S/T (Fantasy)
    Sir Julian - The Thirteen Fingers of Sir Julian (RCA)
    Screaming Trees - Buzz Factory (SST)
    Demon Fuzz - Afreaka! (Dawn)
    Hermanos Pastora y Jose Loquito - Ritmo Erotico (Corona)
    Seguida - S/T (Fania)
    Rafael Cortijo y Su Bonche - Sorongo (Tico)
    Toots and the Maytals - In the Dark (Dragon)
    Ruby Andrews - Black Ruby (Zodiac)
    Gangsters - Heat I (Heat)
    Bob Azzam and His Orchestra - At the Club Opera Stockholm (His Masters Voice)

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    A few weekday + this morning finds. A good day for these parts. I have been playing Sparky the Piano for people all day and that's probably the one I can't get enough of. If someone could tell me what old schol hh song says at the end "Your time is up I will no longer Play.. For.. You" I would appreciate it. Racking my brain all day. If that isn't ringing a bell I will ul it.

That SPARKY record is absolutely, positively, 100% my favorite record from childhood. The sound of the piano talking is a facemelt for sure. Dude, so glad you appreciate that. Can't think of the hip-hop track that sampled it though. Sorry......

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    TO REPEAT, BDK-OOH AAH NAH NAH NAH[/b]

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Now find me Jackie Mittoo's "Sidewalk Doctor" on Music lab 10 plaese.

K.

Anyone know if this is the same tune as the Tommy McCook/I Roy 7" on S.R.S.?
    I'm assuming it is and if so it's one of the best break beat reggae cuts EVAR!
    Nice find, i'm super envious...
    Maybe it's a double wanna trade?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Greek James Brown cover....apparently one of the raerer ones on the label.

Real Headz Don't Even Know The Deal.

Pazant brothers...2 sider.

Nice Benny Gordon two-sider. I prefer this sister funk side.

Hot french dancefloor goodness.

ok ok, I see you.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Real Headz Don't Even Know The Deal.

this post will self-destruct in 5....4.....3......2.....1......

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts and fleas--25 cents - a dollar each.

sorry this pic is a little blurry but there is mort garson's black mass lucifer lp (satanic moog/electroni action), a couple of brasilian pieces, still sealed joe cuba, mccluhan's medium is the message, etc.

also that east detroit high school jazz band from the early/mid 70s. it's pretty dope, got some funkiness and breaks to it. also artwork sheet for the record is pretty psychedelic/dali influenced.
    i was so infatuated with it that i googled the kids name who did the artwork--his name is lon otremba and it turns out he is now CEO for the MUZAK Corporation and is a spokesman for AOL/TIme Warner.
    Muzak of all places! i dunno, i found that to be funny and amusing for whatever reason.

some italian prog/experimental rock, a still sealed copy of that lancelot link psych pop/bubblegum lp and still sealed orbison lp as well--
    yes..that is a OG Bow Street Runners lp -- and it is in Near Mint shape and still in shrink. price tag someone put on it said a dollar, but it was only a quarter. had i known before who they were and how much it goes for--i would have paid more as i found out it is a major money record--one went on ebay a couple of days ago for 760 bucks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4874434232&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

also from what i could tell from popsike it generally appears to be at least a 500 dollar lp, is thought to be one of the most sought-after psych raerities.

a couple of italo disco 12"s in that one, in particular the international music system 12" for the track 'dancing therapy'. it is a hot cut, and is released on what i think was thier own label (IMS)

hot reggae lps in that one--still sealed copy from johnny ringo.
    also a metallic, aluminum master 12" plate for a unkown to me country/western 45 from capitol records in a envelope from capitol records. it is pretty good, just wish i knew who the artis was--envelope has the numbers on it, which i thought might have been the catalog number, but i don't know. does anyone know who recorded for capitol in the c&w genre in 1957?

45s--

watts little angel band - nik nak paddy whack/new orleans/land of 100 dances (BEST KID FUNK SINGLE EVER!)
    bad bascomb -- black grass
    nu-sound express, ltd. --ain't it good enough/i've been tryin (funk/soul)
    willie "king juan" dickey -- hot on your spot on foxy lady ruth --small, private electro-funk/boogie 45 from 81
    usaf presents music in the air radio program - w/ grady martin's the fuzz. (pretty weird radio program with music from the usaf)
    marvin paul --gamblin woman/i can't cry myself to sleep-- rockabilly/c&w 45 on the small azalea label out of dallas, tx.
    the gamblin woman song is comped on one of those hillbilly rocker comps.

the syndicate (nashville's disco band) - nashville soul party part 1/2
    mindnight movers unlimited - 45

• Options

K.

Nope, different cut. A dubbed out remake...and more alluring version IMO. Dub out is off the charts.

K.

p.S. ...also a huge fan of the Tommy cut.

• Options
    I got an extra McCook Sidewalk Doctor if anyone is down. It's the same track as that used for Hortense Ellis' "Women of the Ghetto".

K.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    hey Dakar, you get my PM the other day?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo meaty, got it and just replied. sorry for the late reply and thanks for reminding me.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

good stoop sale in red hook today...Zzebra, Salinas, Gong, Killed by Death, Rock Hits from Philly is a private press comp of Philly punk / new wave,

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    sold a grip of CDs for vacation money, but then of course I ended up buying some stuff too.

Alton Ellis- Mr. Soul of Jamaica (Treasure Isle)- ah his version of "Ain't That Loving You For More Reasons Than One" =
    Burning Spear- Farover (Heartbeat)
    V/A- Antheng (Sonic Sounds)
    Toots and the Maytals- Pass the Pipe (Tuff Gong)
    Bukka White- Mississippi Blues (Takoma)

• Options
    Ditto for "What Does It Take".

K.

• good stoop sale in red hook today...Zzebra, Salinas, Gong, Killed by Death, Rock Hits from Philly is a private press comp of Philly punk / new wave,

how is that gong? what year is it from?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

K.

CPEETZ avatar is killing it.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

K.

my main paper in my Sports Medicine degree program in college was about Bill Walton...I attributed his ridiculously long healing/rehab issues with his injuries to his being vegan. lack of calcium=insufficent myronuero communication=muscle redducation is inhibited. Also not to mention the lack of complete proteins and essential amino acids.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

K.

my main paper in my Sports Medicine degree program in college was about Bill Walton...I attributed his ridiculously long healing/rehab issues with his injuries to his being vegan. lack of calcium=insufficent myronuero communication=muscle redducation is inhibited. Also not to mention the lack of complete proteins and essential amino acids.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts

K.

Thanks, Wu that Basquiat is dope shit too!
    I have a love hate thing with Bill, he's the only man to bring my hometown a championship (pro), but all he ever talks about is his ring with the Celtics instead (Con), and he's such a jackass in the press booth (con), he had ties to Patty Hearst's kidnappers, the Simbianeses Liberation Army, so you know he was down for some revolution (pro). So that's 2-2 I guess that's a wash right...

• How is this LP? Looks like some mindbending psych...

• How is this LP? Looks like some mindbending psych...

psychy at parts but more akin to jazz horn rock. This is the same group that backed James Moody on his "The Teachers" LP

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

That Billy Daniels is highly slept on - killer version of 'Fever'

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

K.

I have a love hate thing with Bill, he's the only man to bring my hometown a championship (pro), but all he ever talks about is his ring with the Celtics instead (Con), and he's such a jackass in the press booth (con), he had ties to Patty Hearst's kidnappers, the Simbianeses Liberation Army, so you know he was down for some revolution (pro). So that's 2-2 I guess that's a wash right...

I remember 77 like it was yesterday. People streaking everywhere. We wore "We're #1" buttons at school for a week. Bill is a nut job. Read the NYT magazine profile of him. You will not be disappointed.

K.

I remember 77 like it was yesterday. People streaking everywhere. We wore "We're #1" buttons at school for a week. Bill is a nut job. Read the NYT magazine profile of him. You will not be disappointed.

77 season, those were the days...
    It might be 2077 before that happens again...
    The Blazers are the new Clippers and that is some sad shit!
    I think the hoops post is somewhere else, sorry everyone.
    This one is supposed to be about the records you found this weekend..
    Here's what i copped, a big fat nada, zip, zilch, zero.
    The spots in Seattle were D-R-Y, DRY!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

It is somewhere else - but the Trailblazers are not the new Clippers. They bottomed out this year, and next year begins their inevitable rise back to the top of the league.

Hear me now and believe me later.

JRoot

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

It is somewhere else - but the Trailblazers are not the new Clippers. They bottomed out this year, and next year begins their inevitable rise back to the top of the league.

Hear me now and believe me later.

JRoot

The Blazers have to pass the Warriors to gain the title "Next Clippers." The Warriors have the longest current streak of not making the playoffs, which is 12 years!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If the conversation about Bill Walton continues in this thread, please stop including the picture in your quotes. It is literally making me sick. Thanks!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    DEAL WITH IT.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    got some cool filipino records with covers. hajji doing stevie and billy paul, rico puno with an american/filipino version of baby im for real and happy.

ive been diggin for 15yrs and buying records for 21yrs. over this time ive acquired every kool & the gang record many many times. everything except live at the PJs and the 45 of NT. ive had their first record probably a dozen or so times. everything else i cant even count. i still have stock of most of their 45s in storage. i finally found live at the PJs this weekend for $1. one of those records that never came into my hands. i was quite happy with that... im not keeping it, but its nice to know that i finally copped one.

also got a mint 12" of the jeanie tracy on honey that was signed. another copy of the victor green 45 on circle m that i put on the bay area funk 2 comp.

also to all the folks i saw this weekend: tom ($1bin), chris (tallbob), ivan (ferrari), cool chris and josh (PRo) for djing, jesse (kidinq), jakeweez, markus (jazzsucka) and finnish friends, charlie the bald, and thanks to georges (yoigotbeats) for treating the mrs and me to sakuna bune sushi last night.

two great weekends in a row...!