Ultimate Breaks & Beats Making A Comeback?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Is the famous Break Beats series of all time making another return. Volume 26 is now out in stores. Anybody knows what the deal is on this volume? It looks like a legit pressing with cover art by KEV Harris and edits by Louis Flores just like in the previous volumes.http://images.juno.co.uk/full/CS216062-01A-BIG.jpghttp://images.juno.co.uk/full/CS216062-01B-BIG.jpg

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i have some memory about dustykid wanting to continue the series. but i think he contacted the family of breakbeat lenny, and they didnt want him to proceed. this sure looks legit, i guess they changed their minds?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Im sure that they pressed some after 25, that looked like they had been done by the dusty fingers people...This came up on VV the other week.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Im sure that they pressed some after 25, that looked like they had been done by the dusty fingers people...This came up on VV the other week.

I have a number 26 which i copped years ago...it says "ultimate beats and breaks" and has the same artwork but much more titles, including tyrone davis and sylvia stripplin aka not real breaks...but this one here looks legit i would say, however they name the artist, a thing they didn't do on the old series...so what is really the deal with this? bronx heads step up....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I'm pretty sure i know the deal on this (can't speak on it, of course )... as far as it being legit, were any of the Ultimate Breaks records really all that legit when you get right down to it? Same artist doing the art, basically the same type of old school breaks on it, might as well consider it legit. I'm wondering what the interest in this will be in 2006, though. back when Lenny put out the original series the breaks game was still shrouded in mystery. Today? All this stuff is common knowledge and I don't know how many people even give a schitt anymore anyway. Good luck to whoever put the new volume out regardless... it's nice to see the tradition carried on properly. Those covers are masterpieces IMO.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I'm pretty sure i know the deal on this (can't speak on it, of course )... as far as it being legit, were any of the Ultimate Breaks records really all that legit when you get right down to it? Same artist doing the art, basically the same type of old school breaks on it, might as well consider it legit. I'm wondering what the interest in this will be in 2006, though. back when Lenny put out the original series the breaks game was still shrouded in mystery. Today? All this stuff is common knowledge and I don't know how many people even give a schitt anymore anyway. Good luck to whoever put the new volume out regardless... it's nice to see the tradition carried on properly. Those covers are masterpieces IMO.

Thanks phill for sharing some knowledge, I know what you mean, they never were fully legit, but they developed a life of their own. And I love rocking two copies of them instead of shredding my og's...they serve a purpose and that new one looks good, hell yeah...I do give a schitt (and the artwork is dope!)...two, three, break!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    All this stuff is common knowledge and I don't know how many people even give a schitt anymore anyway.

What's a Break?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

was this part of the "deleted" volumes...i believe louis ( the cat who edited these) died a while back.

• definitely masterpieces on the artwork.

whats your favourite cover?

the octopus one wins for me..

• Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts

I have a number 26 which i copped years ago...it says "ultimate beats and breaks" and has the same artwork but much more titles, including tyrone davis and sylvia stripplin aka not real breaks...but this one here looks legit i would say, however they name the artist, a thing they didn't do on the old series...so what is really the deal with this? bronx heads step up....

The previous volume 26 was done by Strickly Breaks and had no true connection to the original series. It did contain the following tracks which seemed to be just thrown together just to make a quick buck on the top hits which used the samples at the time:
    A
    1. The Long Wait - Hawaii Five-O TV Soundtrack
    2. You Can't Turn Me Away - Sylvia Striplin
    3. The Smile - David Axelrod
    4. Rain Dance - Jeff Lorbert
    5. Morning - Cal Tjader
    6. Summer In The City - Quincy Jones
    B
    1. Garden Of Peace - Lonnie Listen Smith
    2. I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over - David Porter
    3. Mask - Shellie Mann
    4. Get Out My Life Woman - Joe Williams
    5. In The Mood - Tyron Davis
    6. Drums Of Death - Bonus Beat

This new version of Volume 26 does seem to follow the theme on the first 25 volumes. Here's the tracklisting from the new volume 26:
    A.
    1. Joe Tex - You Said A Bad Word
    2. Johnny Taylor - Ever Ready
    3. Coalkitchen - Keep On Pushing
    4. Graham Central Station - The Jam (Remixed)

B.
    1. Touble Funk - Lets Get Small
    2. Tony Alvon - Sexy Coffee Pot
    3. Hank Carbo - Hot Pants (part 2) (Remixed)

definitely masterpieces on the artwork.

If i remember correctly, the old wax labels had an octopus logo above the credits?
    This is around the early 80's. Can anyone confirm?

If i remember correctly, the old wax labels had an octopus logo above the credits?

Yes.

You're from the Bronx, you're supposed to know this kind of thing.

Yes.

You're from the Bronx, you're supposed to know this kind of thing.
    LOL.

When did they stop with that label style? I remember seein' them around 82/85.

• The previous volume 26 was done by Strickly Breaks and had no true connection to the original series. It did contain the following tracks which seemed to be just thrown together just to make a quick buck on the top hits which used the samples at the time:
    A
    5. Morning - Cal Tjader
    B
    3. Mask - Shellie Mann
    i dont know if the info you gave was correct or not but i do know thats exactly the same tracklist as "strictly breaks-volume one"

When did they stop with that label style? I remember seein' them around 82/85.

Around 85 or 86... the last one with the octopus was the one with the silver label, no. 9 I think. The one with "UFO" and "Long Red" on it. After that Lenny made it into a "legit" record company and started putting publishing info on the labels, full color jackets with the nice artwork, etc.

How did they get the break for AINT WE FUNKIN NOW - Bros.Johnson to be longer? The album version doesnt seem to have a pronounced drum break to loop.

Damn, I'm talkin' 'bout breaks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Isnt' there a 12"?

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    How did they get the break for AINT WE FUNKIN NOW - Bros.Johnson to be longer? The album version doesnt seem to have a pronounced drum break to loop.

The drum break is on the 12 inch version.

The drum break is on the 12 inch version.

Thanx.

Okay, that cinches it- you are NOT from the Bronx!!!

I'm not................I'm from the South Bronx!!!

My all time favorite cover and volume. This volume came strong with content and tracklisting.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm not................I'm from the South Bronx!!!

You are not making it any better with this clarification.

The previous volume 26 was done by Strickly Breaks and had no true connection to the original series. It did contain the following tracks which seemed to be just thrown together just to make a quick buck on the top hits which used the samples at the time:
    A
    5. Morning - Cal Tjader
    B
    3. Mask - Shellie Mann
    i dont know if the info you gave was correct or not but i do know thats exactly the same tracklist as "strictly breaks-volume one"

Its basically the same record. Strictly breaks tried to continue the UB&B series, but the Ultimate Breaks & Beats owners said no. So they changed the cover title and kept the same tracklisting.

Before:

After:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

My all time favorite cover

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

I think this is probably forgotten for the most part now, but In the mid/late 80's a LOT of DJ I knew (myself included) would just refer to UBB's as "Volumes". As in, "did you cop the new volumes?"
    I think this came about from Music Factory in Times Square having every UBB volume on the wall with a little hand written placard underneath each one, listing the volume number and the track titles.
    For example, one would say... "VOLUME 3: Got To Be Real, Apache, Dance To The Drummer's Beat", etc.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

This was the first one I bought,remember getting it home and just going...