THE GREATEST COMIC GENIUS EVER.

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO!!!!!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO HOO!!!!!

Cosign....too bad he drank that gasoline and swallowed a match...all the good ones go to young.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hmmm...let's see...en garde, ho, parry, thrust, spin...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ever heard of Egbert Souse?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Also, I don't like how he is now remembered as greedy and egotistical and stuff. For most of his career he was the zany wild woo-hoo-ing crazy duck that did the funniest shit ever. And every time he does the woo-hoo-hoo! thing and bounces on his head I laugh. EVERY SINGLE TIME. To me its one of the funniest goddam things i have ever seen.

2 highly recommended cartoons:

Porky's Pig Feat: In which daffy gambles away the money that he and Porky were supposed to use to pay for their room in the Broken Arm Hotel, Calls the manager FATSO, challenges him to a duel on the field of Onions, and him and porky go haywire trying to leave the hotel.

Daffy Duck Slept Here: In wich porky rents a room and winds up with daffy as a roommate. Porky goes to sleep without having met daffy yet, and daffy shows up to the room drunk out of his mind singing about a 6 foot tall invisible kangaroo named Hymie. This is seriously one of the funniest cartoons ever.

There is another one where daffy keeps singing Blues In The Night (My momma done told meeeee when I was in kneepantssss HOO HOO HOO!) that is pretty awesome too, but I can't remember the name of that one.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dude, c'mon - greedy/egotistical Daffy RULES!

The ones with Porky where he's a lunatic who won't go
    away are very cool, but his Bugs collabos are the pure essence of animated fire!

The one with the genie of the lamp, wrong turn at Pizmo Beach, etc, etc?

"You have desecrated the Genie of the lamp! Now you must face the consequences!"
    "Consequences, shmonsequnces - as long as I'm rich!"

RABBIT SEASON DUCK SEASON?!?!?!?!?!

"I say it's duck season, and I order you to FIRE!!"

there's a daffy duck episode called "birth of a notion" that has a peter lorre-based villian, trying to convince his dog, leopold, to capture daffy for some wacky experiment. it was my favorite cartoon as a kid, and i've been looking for it for years. anyone know what the fuck i'm talking about?

Dude, c'mon - greedy/egotistical Daffy RULES!

The ones with Porky where he's a lunatic who won't go
    away are very cool, but his Bugs collabos are the pure essence of animated fire!

The one with the genie of the lamp, wrong turn at Pizmo Beach, etc, etc?

"You have desecrated the Genie of the lamp! Now you must face the consequences!"
    "Consequences, shmonsequnces - as long as I'm rich!"

RABBIT SEASON DUCK SEASON?!?!?!?!?!

"I say it's duck season, and I order you to FIRE!!"

Now see, this is the great divide....

personally, I prefer the looney daffy. DUCK! RABBIT! DUCK! is a good cartoon, for sure, but his team ups with bugs just don't do it for me like the early ones do.

And I'm probably in the minority here when I say this, but I also prefer the earlier design of daffy (pictured above) to the later, more commonly known daffy. Probably because if you saw him drawn like that it meant he was in his crazy bananas stage.

Now... the Looney Tunes Collection DVDs are cool, and the quality is great, but I wish they would have released them by year or something. The cartoons are all over the place on those. However, somebody, and I don't know who, put together these torrents called The Fab Collection, and they feature all the cartoons by year. Some of the quality on them are crap, but this guy went through a lot of work to put them together. He taped shit from TV, from video tape, basically from wherever he could get his hands on them. And a good number of these cartoons aren't commercially available any more, so its like the only way to get them. The downloads take for ever, but damn its worth it.

Do a search if you are interested. They are usually called something like "Warner Bros - The Fab Collection (1942)" or something like that.

p.s. Daffy is way funnier than Bugs. OH NO I DIDN'T! (oh yes I did).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    so wait. daffy was some minstrel type character?

cite

cite

Good luck finding any sort of evidence for that one.....

That shit was the total package.

I always loved Sylvester and the Cyote. Hopeless, but determined. Obsessed. Falling flat out over and over and over and would just get up and move on.

Don't get me started on Carl Stalling.

Proof that any/every topic discussed on SS can/will turn into a racial issue....amazing

That shit was the total package.

I always loved Sylvester and the Cyote. Hopeless, but determined. Obsessed. Falling flat out over and over and over and would just get up and move on.

Don't get me started on Carl Stalling.

I just finished a book called "Tunes for Toons" about Stalling and the other guys. It was some dude's thesis and pretty much read like one. Managed to take the life and humor out something as funny and awesome as cartoon music. Oh well. The one interesting chapter was about jazz and black stereotypes, but the rest was a giant snore.

Tex Avery is my fave.....some tripped out shit....if you haven't already, check his stuff out.

Tex Avery is my fave.....some tripped out shit....if you haven't already, check his stuff out.

Tex is rad, Bob clampett is rad too. Hell, they were all pretty good.

Oh fuck. That's my man right there!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    hmmm...let's see...en garde, ho, parry, thrust, spin...

YES!!! it's amazing how so many people share experiences with this stuff, often without any of us realizing it.

on a different tip:

"Yohoto-oh! Yohoto-oh! Me and my magic helmet!"

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

cite

im not trying to start anything. im actually surprised that none of you have heard this before? its kind of hard to avoid alot of the underlying connotations that those older cartoons have and atleast where im from and the people ive been around seem to take some of these things offensively. i mean alot of the cartoons have been banned from modern tv because of it..especially WB ones. bugs and elmer tapdancing in blackface with daffy?! um yeah..i think that could be considered offensive to some people. One of daffys favorite phrases is "take your cotton pickin' hands off...." racist?? i agree somethings get blown out of proportion but somethings are so obvious its hard to deny.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

cite

im not trying to start anything. im actually surprised that none of you have heard this before? its kind of hard to avoid alot of the underlying connotations that those older cartoons have and atleast where im from and the people ive been around seem to take some of these things offensively. i mean alot of the cartoons have been banned from modern tv because of it..especially WB ones. bugs and elmer tapdancing in blackface with daffy?! um yeah..i think that could be considered offensive to some people. One of daffys favorite phrases is "take your cotton pickin' hands off...." racist?? i agree somethings get blown out of proportion but somethings are so obvious its hard to deny.

I was going to mention this as well.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Post deleted by HAZBEEN

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There was alot of BLATANTLY offensive things in early Warner bros. shorts link. That I'm sure alot of people take offensively, but Daffy duck? Proposturous!

Anyways completly off subject. JAMES JEAN meets Dave Chappelle!

- spidey

cite

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

If you are saying that the character of daffy duck is a minstrel sambo-like character meant to portray a black person, then that is completely wrong.

What I think you are trying to say is that there is a history of negative portrayals of black people in cartoons. Yes, that is completely true. There is plently of (shockingly) racist materials in the old looney tunes...

shit, dinner time, i'll come back to this one....

i was thinking what dizzy said.

but looking at many of the tom and jerry toons, for example...yes. this is a huge topic and i just wanted dude to elborate.

sigh

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Two things:

- Anyone remember the group "Two Kings In A Cipher"? They had a song called "Daffy Was A Black Man", I'm sure the lyrics are on ohhla.com if someone wnats to look.

- There are several seriously fucked up WB cartoons from the 30's and 40's. They are commonly referred to as the Censored Eleven. Go to youtube and look for "Coal Black & de Sebben Dwarves" to see the most famous of them. It's actually an amazing cartoon if you can get past all the racial stuff.

Two things:

- Anyone remember the group "Two Kings In A Cipher"?

aren't they from DC/Howard?

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

cite

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

If you are saying that the character of daffy duck is a minstrel sambo-like character meant to portray a black person, then that is completely wrong.

What I think you are trying to say is that there is a history of negative portrayals of black people in cartoons. Yes, that is completely true. There is plently of (shockingly) racist materials in the old looney tunes...

shit, dinner time, i'll come back to this one....

im actually talking about both. personally, i believe that daffy was made initially to portray a black person. i know it sounds a little contradicting by him always saying "get youre cotton pickin hands off me.." but thats just how i see it. maybe it wouldnt be so bad if he wasnt a duck..bill=lips. and when you think of a duck do you really think of him being completely black?(fire up those google image searches!) i know it may seem a little far fetched to some people and that people like myself are just looking for something to find offensive but i know im not alone.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense."
    - Buddha

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts
    shucks. i was hoping this'd be another post where dizzy bull tells us how funny he[/b] is. there's always next time, diz!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    there's a daffy duck episode called "birth of a notion" that has a peter lorre-based villian, trying to convince his dog, leopold, to capture daffy for some wacky experiment. it was my favorite cartoon as a kid, and i've been looking for it for years. anyone know what the fuck i'm talking about?

not sure if karagarga has shit like that but i bet there are some cartoon trackers around!

p.s.: hollar if you need karagarga invite

• Tex Avery is my fave.....some tripped out shit....if you haven't already, check his stuff out.

Clampett and McKimson were geniuses. Some of those Foghorn Leghorn jawns are the funniest cartoons ever...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Clampett and McKimson were geniuses. Some of those Foghorn Leghorn jawns are the funniest cartoons ever...

Yeah, I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention foghorn leghorn. The best straight man...I mean chicken in cartoon history.