Recommend me some Prog Rock

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I just got this "Prog is Not a Four Letter Word" comp and I'm diggin the shit out of it.I'm already flyin' at the 20000 foot level...I'm up on the Soft Machines, King Crimsons, Goblins of the world. Mid-level knowledge of kosmiche music. Shit I might have a 50% chance of findin' in the field would be nice.'Preciate ya!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Awesome. Looks dope. WTF is it?

• Aphrodite's Child
    Can
    Amon D??ul

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Fred Braceful kills it on this.

• Should be able to find this one:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Aphrodite's Child
    Can
    Amon D??ul

Co-sign on Aphrodite's Child (especially "666") and Can. Not wildly familiar with Amon Duul. King Crimson's "Larks Tongues in Aspic" and "Red" have got some heat, as have Gong. Steve Hillage's "Green" is pretty damn funky at times. Focus did some good records as well. Don't sleep on Caravan and their attendant spin-offs like Hatfield and The North - I think there's a tenuous Soft Machine connection there, but I can't remember precisely what it is. And I can't front, Yes made some great records. Their first five albums are pretty much textbook British prog-rock. There was a 3-CD box set a few years back on Universal in the UK, for which they revived the Deram imprint. It's called "Legend Of A Mind", and there's some great shit on that - Giles Giles & Fripp, Zakkarias, Savoy Brown, Moody Blues (braeks, too!) - definitely worth copping if you see it for cheap on Amazon or something.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    if you dig on the goblin, check out a band called area, an italian band of the same era with about twice the insanity.

also worth a damn is guru guru, but that's more kraut experimental than technical prog stuff.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I don't know if this fits into any loose or strict definition of prog. Space rock maybe? I like it though and would recommend Captain Beyond S/T

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    does this count?

• if you dig on the goblin, check out a band called area, an italian band of the same era with about twice the insanity.

also worth a damn is guru guru, but that's more kraut experimental than technical prog stuff.

Oh yeah, Guru Guru is my shit. The first one is that

Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking for info on some of ths shit like Gong, Egg, Cluster, etc.... Never really delved too deep into that scene.

I'm pretty up on the German stuff...Can, Ash Ra Temple, Guru Guru, Agitation Free, Xhol Caravan, etc.

That comp I mentioned is really good and has lots of stuff from the other Euro countries. there's this track on there by a group called Drugi Nacin that I am really feelin.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    not sure if it's considered prog rock, but all the saravah lp's by Brigitte Fontaine and Areski. Spare, haunting, and beautiful stuff.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Relayer - The Relayer Album (not the Yes album but the group from Houston, texas)
    Midnight Sun - S/T
    I even like that Seatrain bullshit

• i don't think that i've filed away embryo's SURFIN' since i bought it 18 months ago.
    always go back to 'YOU KNOW YOU KNOW' for cobham chops on the first mahavishnu.
    steve grossman on PM... (though i guess i am dipping into jazz fusion not prog for some of this)

• You NEED to find the first two records by UFO, the s/t and Flying. They were reissued later as a double LP. I promise that if you appreciate all that other stuff, you will be highly pleased with it. Another one is Womb s/t. Neither of those are really prog though. Finch-Glory of the Inner Force is a cool Dutch prog album with some heavy breakdowns, it does get wanky at times, but tis good mixtape fodder or something.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

CRATE MAINSTAY ALERT! This one has simmered down in price too. Not really into Stadacone (sp?) that much, though.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    ive been on a bit of a PROGGGGG kick lately consisting of

Quiet Sun - Mainstream
    bo hannson - music for watership down

i have been playing the shit out of both of these

• if you dig on the goblin

Not quite sure why but that sounds very AYO!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Prog fans are always worried. I'd stay away from prog.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wow.. B**an. Sucks that you didn't get to spend more time with my boy Ian. on your trip. He's seriously a walking prog dictionary. I could've shown you some van der graf generator, atomic rooster, soft machine, can, curved air, gentle giant and a bunch of other dvds. I could've even taken you to see our local prog rock champs Uberschall.

Hit me up on soulseek, and i'll give you a bunch of gems.

Also check out this site. http://progressive.homestead.com/

- spidey

• Prog fans are always worried. I'd stay away from prog.

What,me worry?

• Prog Is Not A Four Letter Word

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts