Anyone hear like Plaid?

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Yeah, I know it's not funky or soulful, but I know there are some instrumental producers and such. I figure some of yous would be into that and stuff like Autechre. I wonder do these cats have any relevance to your musical taste.I just found some of their CDs in my collection. I haven't listened to any of them in the longest time. It makes me wonder where the time has gone. I really used to like their shit. I used to be in college, writing papers to the shit... thinking about dames I wanted to bone and everything. Now... I just think of all the other artists that kind of spawned from this type of shit that I don't like now.enh... sorry.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I prefer Seersucker..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I prefer Seersucker..

• see also black dog

i was very down with idm a long time ago

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Got their Rest Proof Clockwork album in my collection somewhere or other. Seem to remember New Bass Hippo being a great track.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I don't have any of their CDs but I've listened to some stuff my friend has.
    Definitely into this type of stuff if I'm in the right mood.
    Also would listen to Squarepusher in a similar mood.

Have to admit that I'm mostly responding because I saw your location...
    Funny - I felt like a thread killa around here for a few weeks.
    Mentioned it to my wife who referred to me as such for about a week.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    see also black dog

Right... see, I didn't know what an "idm" was back then. Then you know like Ghostly became popular. Now, no disrespect to them (I support my Michigan-based folks) , but the aesthetic bothers me. I'd be at gigs of theirs, watching them freak laptops and being bewildered. I didn't get it.

It was much better when I didn't know how the music was made.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    watching someone 'click and drag' live is a little underwhelming...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Have to admit that I'm mostly responding because I saw your location...
    Funny - I felt like a thread killa around here for a few weeks.
    Mentioned it to my wife who referred to me as such for about a week.
    LOL

Yeah, I sometimes feel like I joined the SS party too late and I'm that lame dood that everyone kind of looks over...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    watching someone 'click and drag' live is a little underwhelming...

!!!

• Ghostly
    Now, no disrespect to them (I support my Michigan-based folks)

no go right ahead, disrepect them, please

asking your parents to up your allowance to start a label is lame in my opinion, its on the same level as getting your moms credit card to buy and sell stuff on ebay and call yourself a baller

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Ghostly
    Now, no disrespect to them (I support my Michigan-based folks)

no go right ahead, disrepect them, please

asking your parents to up your allowance to start a label is lame in my opinion, its on the same level as getting your moms credit card to buy and sell stuff on ebay and call yourself a baller
    approved.

All I know is that cats can't wait for dabrye's hip-hop album.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

• I can't believe nobody has said it.... but

!!!!!!

• But yeah seriously, I know the feeling. IDM used to move me in some way. I did a radio show in college on it. Still have loads of CDs... I did get rid of the triple-vinyl pressings I had of their warp stuff a few years ago. I did reviews for a few years so they loaded me up with the latest mille-plateaux releases. That didn't last too long, I had a hard time figuring out anything positive or negative to say except "this is more of the same".

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That's argyle dogg.

Never really got into Plaid, was more of an Aphex Twin fan myself.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    see also black dog

yeah but imho, the best black dog record, music for adverts was after plaid split.

• That's argyle dogg.

Same deal, just jokin

Never really got into Plaid, was more of an Aphex Twin fan myself.

Plaid is kind of like the downtempo Aphex, huh?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    plaid got that melody piff down proper

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i keep checking new releases once in a while but im always dissapointed... newest thing i actually liked was the first afx release on the men label. also liked some analord volume but forgot which one.

any recommendations?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Here is my talanted friend J??nas.

I like him playing that Mozart.

___

I never really felt Plaid. I was more into BoC, in the "chilly" department.

I still say that Autechre is one of the best bands EVER.

• I Love Plaid. Found the Angry Dolphin 12" on Clear a while back. Still searching h & l for Mbuki Mvuki 12"

I did a show w/ a friend of mine once, and Plaid played, as well as Mira Calix, and Keith Tenniswood. Was HOT....

The main problem w abstract techno (IDM ), was that the newer artists forgot about the melody that was essential to it sounding good. It became more of a pissing contest, in terms of Look what I can do w/ my equipment.... Ad nauseum.

I used to work in that scene a lot in the late 90's early 2000's . I miss it so. I was having the time of my life, playing out, doing something that not many heads were repping in NY.

SIN don't count, they welched on that shit the moment the Electroclash scene came to fruition.

I also have really weird memories of 9/11, cause my crew had a pre - party planned on that day, for a bigger event that we were repping for CMJ. We were actually supposed to do the pre party at Windows on the World that day, but it fell through..

Anyhoodles, that's my 2cents...

Mel

• girgir 329 Posts
    I used to be in college, writing papers to the shit... thinking about dames I wanted to bone and everything.

co-sign.

i like plaid, i traded my friend for a copy of trainer the other night which is pretty awesome. the last plaid record had some pretty awesome spaceship freakout type sounds on it.

• i prefer m??m.

• i'm a big plaid fan...i've seen them a few times and i interviewed them once...if anybody is interested i might be able to dig up the interview and post it.