Desperate Man Blues: The Movie

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
A lot of you have probably read the great "Desperate Man Blues" article from a few years ago, about the man who collects 78's and is adamant that nothing good was made after the 1930's.http://www.bluesworld.com/Bussard.htmlWhat I didn't know until a few minutes ago is that someone made a film on him, based on that interview:http://www.desperatemanblues.com.au/ The outsider, the ultimate cratedigging maverick. Has anyone seen this?

Comments

• They actually ran this on the True Stories Channel on cable last year. It was outstanding.

• ayejayayejay 24 Posts
    wax poetic did an article on him in the eh question mark cover issue
    his label (fonotone) just released a 5 cd box set in a cigar box. really fresh stuff.
    comes with a metal bottle opener too!
    ( i did a couple illustrations for the booket and was really happy to be part of such a neat set.)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I bought the DVD when I was in Melbourne last year, it is awesome, I can't reccommend it highly enough, Joe Bussard knows his stuff & his collection is His stories about acquiring them are pretty cool too, he drops so much knowledge on the artists & records. The DVD has a commentary version where they play the movie with the sound down & Joe just goes off for the whole thing rambling about all sorts of related topics, history of US record industry, different artists, chronology of US roots music etc. etc. I thought it was going to be just a straight directors commentary but it was awesome. Really Really good. It's so cool that he plays the records all the time & doesn't just have them gathering dust in some museum or something, like the Harry Smith collection. I like the comment that someone made "there are lots of people who have lots of records, but Joe is rare because he has lots of good records".

• Just noticed that Forced Exposure is going to start carrying this in the US starting 11/21, Can't wait to see it.

• A friend was telling me about this the other day.
    Keen to check it out.

Found this: trailer for Joe Bussard: King of Record Collectors