Enoch Light's going rate for samples? Sued?

foster_kanefoster_kane 125 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So Enoch Light, the artist sampled for the Beatnut's "No Escaping This" and "Watch Out Now," produced many records for Command in the 60s called 'Persuasive Percussion' and 'Bongos and Flutes' and other ambiguous titles. (They are the records with all the dots and shit on them).

I was recently given the opportunity to produce a track for a TV show and was thinking about using a beat I made from one those records.

Worth the risk or not?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    your prob gonna get flamed for not intro'ing your delf.

as for your question. its not a good idea.

• very bad idea.

i am close friends with his grandson. in fact i was chilling with him last night. his name is jon klages and he is a rad dude. his family has been knocking suckas off for samples for 15 years. it happens all the time. i wont narc anyone out or anything but his lawyer is a and thrashes folls hella large.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    it would imo depend on how close your track is to the original source, if you used some percussion off one of his 60's joints for a beat i wouldnt think it would be too dangerous, on the other hand you never know if mr light has beat detectives on pay roll...
    and btw welcome to the board.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    WOW. 4 responses and still no

wait for it...

hold on...

• since this is your first post and all maybe you should...

• Worth the risk or not?

Ich don't think so.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So Enoch Light, the artist sampled for the Beatnut's "No Escaping This" and "Watch Out Now," produced many records for Command in the 60s called 'Persuasive Percussion' and 'Bongos and Flutes' and other ambiguous titles. (They are the records with all the dots and shit on them).

I was recently given the opportunity to produce a track for a TV show and was thinking about using a beat I made from one those records.

Worth the risk or not?

TV show's not giving you a budget? Why not just clear it? Or is it wack to clear samples? Are you using any other samples? Will they be cleared?

Sorry I know nothing about this biz.

Welcome

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    fucka Enoch Light.

• thanks for the feed back.

posted this at the breaks also, so save the emoticons.

no budget, just an opportunity. if i can clear it, i may. if not, just use something else.

• try using some beneath the radar private issue garbage instead.

ap

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The funniest thing about this thread is that people said

and then he did!

Awesome!

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

and then he did!

Awesome!

• The funniest thing about this thread is that people said

and then he did!

Awesome!

classic. i laughed.

for the record, i also own a couple of reissues

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

and then he did!

Awesome!

classic. i laughed.

for the record, i also own a couple of reissues

You know, you'll do alright around here. Nothing like a dude that snaps back at the peanut gallery. I like you already. Also, your pre-emptive strike was

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    very bad idea.

i am close friends with his grandson. in fact i was chilling with him last night. his name is jon klages and he is a rad dude. his family has been knocking suckas off for samples for 15 years. it happens all the time. i wont narc anyone out or anything but his lawyer is a and thrashes folls hella large.

Enoch Light is from Canton Ohio. Who knew.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    very bad idea.

Wow! Tell him that his grandpa was awesome.

Enoch was next level in a way that a lot of people may not be able to appreciate...

Man. Thats cool.

• yea he is fully aware of grandpas awsomeness. he is a mellow rad and humble dude who says gramps was next level with the project three and shit. rad deal. i will tell him you are a fan.

ap

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yea he is fully aware of grandpas awsomeness. he is a mellow rad and humble dude who says gramps was next level with the project three and shit. rad deal. i will tell him you are a fan.

ap

Thank you.

• thrashes folls hella large. [/b]