What do you guys think about this sh*t?

13»

Comments

• From the Slate: "For nonaddicts, Pieces reinforces the still dangerously prevalent notion that it's easy to spot a drug addict or an alcoholic???they're the ones bleeding from holes in their cheeks or getting beaten down by the police or doing hard time with killers and rapists. For those struggling with their own substance-abuse issues, Pieces sends the message that unless you've reached the depths Frey describes, you don't have anything to worry about???you're a Fraud. And if you do have a problem, you don't need to necessarily get treatment or look to others for support; all you need to do is "hold on." "

That Slate.com article referenced above was excellent...Here is the link to anyone interested:

http://www.slate.com/id/2134203/

Nutshell synopsis: The author also went to rehab, where everyone embellishes their stories to sound worse off/harder then they were. He writes that one of the first things that the councilers try to do is break people of that habit. Frey, in this 'memoir', is selling a story of his remarkable recovery, but at the same time, exhibiting behavior that suggests he hasn't absorbed even the FIRST lessons of recovery. And that is where there is a problem: not only is the public buying a bullshit story, but it forms a bullshit impression of the addiction/recovery process.

Which is seriously

I love biographies/non-fiction/memoirs, and every reader has a responsibility to approach these with a certain bullshit meter at work. I mean, I understand that most recreated dialogue is probably not EXACTLY as written in a memoir. At the same time, when what is made up are the salient details that drive the story, that exhibits a certain level of irresponsibility on the part of the author and publisher that really fucks up the relationship between writer/reader. A good author should know this; an opportunistic author can exploit that relationship, which is what I see here.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I actually tuned in to Oprah today to see what this dude had to say for himself. She grilled the hell out of him and he looked like he was going to be sick and wanted to cry. Damn.

• Nutshell synopsis: The author also went to rehab, where everyone embellishes their stories to sound worse off/harder then they were. He writes that one of the first things that the councilers try to do is break people of that habit. Frey, in this 'memoir', is selling a story of his remarkable recovery, but at the same time, exhibiting behavior that suggests he hasn't absorbed even the FIRST lessons of recovery. And that is where there is a problem: not only is the public buying a bullshit story, but it forms a bullshit impression of the addiction/recovery process.

Which is seriously

__Not really. Was he heating a spoon on stage or did I miss that? What "behavior" suggests he's not a changed man?

I love biographies/non-fiction/memoirs, and every reader has a responsibility to approach these with a certain bullshit meter at work. I mean, I understand that most recreated dialogue is probably not EXACTLY as written in a memoir. At the same time, when what is made up are the salient details that drive the story, that exhibits a certain level of irresponsibility on the part of the author and publisher that really fucks up the relationship between writer/reader. A good author should know this; an opportunistic author can exploit that relationship, which is what I see here.

__A nutshell synopsis: He presented the book to publishers as fiction. That wouldn't sell as much as if it were classified as nonfiction, evidently. So they offer him a fat contract if he plays along. Wouldn't you? Oprah starts drooling because she knows a million little pieces of shit (mostly soccer moms) will somehow relate to this harrowing tale of crack-addiction-recovery. As for the real heads, well I hope they're not too disapointed b/c apparently it's a good story regardless and should still motivate people. Who fucking cares what's true or false? The publishers are out to make money, the man did recover, Oprah played it off (moms are still glued to tv like a nipple) and Mr. Frey is probably sparking a j worth millions. Let us applaude him, now. ..cosigning that soccer moms got sonned. Oprah the Army

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    my two pennies worth:

Fuck that motherfuckin' book. There.

Giving people a book of lies!

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer

I agree with what you're saying but what's the difference between this and Christian based programs that use the Bible as their road map to recovery? I don't believe everything that's written in the Bible but if it helps people get off drugs who cares??? One of my best buds went from heroin addiction to Born Again addiction....at least he'll have a longer life now and is clean and sober.

• I agree with what you're saying but what's the difference between this and Christian based programs that use the Bible as their road map to recovery? I don't believe everything that's written in the Bible but if it helps people get off drugs who cares??? One of my best buds went from heroin addiction to Born Again addiction....at least he'll have a longer life now and is clean and sober.

First, let's get one thing straight, I ain't no kinda christian.

Yes, a lot of people get off drugs and get addicted to god. I've also seen a lot of people float out the door on a cloud of religious zeal and go back to using. I hope this does not happen to your friend. Drug addiction is a hell of a thing.

As for 12 step groups, the role of christianity depends on their location and membership. AA is a quasi-christian orginazation but had a split (hence the splinter group Alcholoics For Christ) because they would not become a strictly christian group. Most people I know in NA are simply "spiritual" or like me, athiests. There is also a large movement in NA to try and get the word "god" removed from the steps. Although the 12 steps were adapted from a christian group there is nothing strictly christian about them. If you take a look, they also mirror the buddhist eightfold path. The bible is considered "outside" literature and technically not allowed at meetings and it is frowned upon if you mention the god of your understanding by name or the religion you practice.

There are lots of different views on the recovery process. After 7 years clean I can only recommend the one that has worked for me and relate my experiences with it.

SonicReducer

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I agree with what you're saying but what's the difference between this and Christian based programs that use the Bible as their road map to recovery? I don't believe everything that's written in the Bible but if it helps people get off drugs who cares??? One of my best buds went from heroin addiction to Born Again addiction....at least he'll have a longer life now and is clean and sober.

First, let's get one thing straight, I ain't no kinda christian.

Yes, a lot of people get off drugs and get addicted to god. I've also seen a lot of people float out the door on a cloud of religious zeal and go back to using. I hope this does not happen to your friend. Drug addiction is a hell of a thing.

As for 12 step groups, the role of christianity depends on their location and membership. AA is a quasi-christian orginazation but had a split (hence the splinter group Alcholoics For Christ) because they would not become a strictly christian group. Most people I know in NA are simply "spiritual" or like me, athiests. There is also a large movement in NA to try and get the word "god" removed from the steps. Although the 12 steps were adapted from a christian group there is nothing strictly christian about them. If you take a look, they also mirror the buddhist eightfold path. The bible is considered "outside" literature and technically not allowed at meetings and it is frowned upon if you mention the god of your understanding by name or the religion you practice.

There are lots of different views on the recovery process. After 7 years clean I can only recommend the one that has worked for me and relate my experiences with it.

SonicReducer

I've lost my best friend and business partner to heroin as well as 5-6 friends/aquaintances in the music biz. My observation of these folks while in the depths of their addiction was that they were the center of their universe and nothing else mattered except feeding their needs. If recognizing a higher power or supreme being allows these folks to escape the trap they've placed themselves in it can only be a good thing.

I'm not a Christian either but I know that there are many Christian organizations that try like hell to help people recover from a variety of tragedies, and for that reason alone I will never trash or belittle Christianity.