Brother Ah

triptoyourmindtriptoyourmind 294 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Is Brother Ah's move ever onward lp impossibly rare? all I can find is info on the reissues, anyone got it?

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Used to get it in Rhode Island whilst I was going to college there, I think it said something inside the gatefold about him teaching somewhere in RI (Brown)?
    That might account for it being around.
    Always used to sell them for a decent amount, wasn't my type of joint at the time.

• Is Brother Ah's move ever onward lp impossibly rare? all I can find is info on the reissues, anyone got it?

I've only seen that Brother Ah record once. It sold out of our shop that day for $400. The customer, who was a regular and someone we consider a friend, came up with the price so I'm not sure if it is accurate but it sounded nice enough.

Also this dude about 50 years old came in and bought a bunch of Blue Note Japanese pressings and copies of the two Brother Ah re-issues (they were in the sale bin!). I said something like "You heard these, they're pretty cool" in reference to the Brother Ahs and he replied "No, but he was my music teacher back in the day" and filled me in on some Brother Ah history. Cool dude.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Is Brother Ah's move ever onward lp impossibly rare? all I can find is info on the reissues, anyone got it?

I've only seen that Brother Ah record once. It sold out of our shop that day for $400. The customer, who was a regular and someone we consider a friend, came up with the price so I'm not sure if it is accurate but it sounded nice enough.

Also this dude about 50 years old came in and bought a bunch of Blue Note Japanese pressings and copies of the two Brother Ah re-issues (they were in the sale bin!). I said something like "You heard these, they're pretty cool" in reference to the Brother Ahs and he replied "No, but he was my music teacher back in the day" and filled me in on some Brother Ah history. Cool dude.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

Holy fucking shit. Is this LP really worth that much? I had no idea. I really enjoy this one over his Strata East LP.

If anybody wants my copy for $350, I don't think I'd refuse.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    $450 for "Move Ever Onward" is like paying $500 for an Impulse LP.
    Excellent record, but $400 it is not.
    On that note, iKef label owner D. Prater played me some unreleased M'Boom and Ah shit that he's putting out later this year and it will most definitely melt faces. Sounded like Niagara crossed with the Bill Cole LP on Dartmouth. HEAVY.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    I got one for $50 at Academy in NYC (about 2 years ago).

• Wow.... that doud's first offer was $400. Way to play your cards.

Brother Ah seems to be flavor of the month, maybe because Ikef re-released "move ever onward" and "sound awareness" relatively recently. "Sound awareness" especially seems to get the overseas bidders mortgaging their house.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Brother Ah seems to be flavor of the month, maybe because Key To Nowhere is so dope

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Brother Ah seems to be flavor of the month, maybe because Key To Nowhere is so dope

What does that one sound like?

• Brother Ah seems to be flavor of the month, maybe because Key To Nowhere is so dope

Yeah, I broke it out after reading this thread today. A little 80s sounding for my taste production-wise, especially with the vocal tracks, but quite good. Don't you think it gets an unfair lift from indie-ness tho? If it was released on ECM nobody would care.

Nate you'd like it a lot. Do a google search for IKEF, they have samples on their site of every release I'm pretty sure. (they also did the montgomery express and uhmmm east new york ensemble)

• $450 for "Move Ever Onward" is like paying $500 for an Impulse LP.
    Excellent record, but $400 it is not.
    On that note, iKef label owner D. Prater played me some unreleased M'Boom and Ah shit that he's putting out later this year and it will most definitely melt faces. Sounded like Niagara crossed with the Bill Cole LP on Dartmouth. HEAVY.

Can't wait!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Sometiiiiimes I feeeeeel Like A Mooootherlesss Chiiiild... (80's style)

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

Female vocals - quite solid/tight rhythmically - good version of 'sometimes i feel like a motherless child'.

(oops, just noticed that Drewn post an MP3. This post is now redundant)

• cheers for the help guys as always, will track down the reissue.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    unreleased M'Boom and Ah

damn right on. that one m'boom lp is fresh. the 1979ish one. if its anything like that i cant wait

ps. move ever onward is awethome!