Any record stores open today?

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Starbucks is jumping off. All of yall that don't have family around, what are you doing today? I really want to hit a record shop but I know ain't no record workers want to be there. I think I'll take my girl on a cruise. It usually takes me 20 minutes to drive down Fairfax from SM BLVD to Olympic. Today it took 5 going 60 miles per hour. No traffic. It's surreal.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Flea market.
    I went there this afternoon, bought two records in 30sec...
    then ran to the Bapt'cave to make another hit.

• We're closed. One of four days each year (New Years, July 4 and Thanksgiving being the others). Eatin' and drinkin' with the folks in Jacksonville. Record shopping tomorrow though.

• Starbucks is jumping off.

Yeah man I was thinking about working today just for the money! They pay overtime plus a "holiday pay" which basically means triple time. And most people working walk out with around $100 in tips.

But then I was like... um... FUCK THAT NOISE!!! I got bills to pay, sure... but fuck Starbucks. I ain't selling my soul out yet.

I'm stuck in a little town in Ontario visiting my moms, and NOTHING is open. I think I saw a video store open downtown while I was driving back home from my aunt's place. So I've been wasting my day by doing a little reading, a little napping, and a little family visiting. Xmas dinner is about to go down in an hour or so, and I just poured myself a Grand Marnier.

I kinda wish I was back in Toronto tommorrow though, because I've got some xmas $$$ that could be spent on some nice boxing day deals. Not a lot of worthwile stores where I'm at right now.

• Flea market.
    I went there this afternoon, bought two records in 30sec...
    then ran to the Bapt'cave to make another hit.

That's just like you. Makin' hits. Whens the heat coming out? Share some of your secrets with us.

I need to motivate. All I been doing over the last moth is beat juggling and listing records on eBay. The creativity is starting to build up so I'll have a flood of new beats after New Years.

Keep it up Bapt.

BeatChemist, my man. What's crackin'? I coulda worked today as well but I said phuggit. I'm taking the day to hang with the sweet honey dip.

Bring with some of the sticky icky rhythms from the lab, son. I'm having withdrawals.

• I've been low key with the beats lately. Started trying out some dub style stuff... and it's fun but my computer is choking on all the effects I want to use.

Hopefully early in the new year I'll have put together an EP/Beat Tape... using a bunch of stuff that I've started, but never finished. I need to wrap up a bunch of shit and just start fresh with some new sounds, new styles, and new approach. It's probably going to be an online release type thing on my site. With downloadable artwork and such.

I've been smokin' too much greenery lately too, which has been keeping me easily sidetracked from actually getting music work done. A lot of playing, but not much work getting done. I gotta get back into my grind in the new year.

YO BAPT!! [/b] What have you got in the works right now?? I know we've said it before, but we should link up on some remixes or sample-the-same-song-and-battle type ish... even if it's just to stay motivated on music!! I'll get at you in January about it...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yo brovaz.
    Lemme see... Oh! Yeah! This is like a "Cool Table"z headz thread (on the wrong boardz)... LOL

Aahhh!!! Tito, aka, Tazacacao aka DJ Cups aka Taza One aka Roberto... I ain't got a formula man.
    Don't know how to motivate you. Keep your head up!!

Just bought two new volumes of a serie called "Special Instrumental" on CHANT DU MONDE label, French 60/70s shit.

If someonez got copiez, holler.

Just bought that Bohannon - Stop and Go,
    I'm after a cheap (M) copy of Linda Tillery - s/t on Olivia,
    got to find a Brazilian Octopus since I heard it on sabadabada.com
    I bought that RAWWAX004 Oxnard 10" EP... shit is dope.

Me, recently hooked up with a singer... a girl...
    Dope!!!!!!!! Be on the look out!!!!!

Kyle, ahahh!!! don't mess!
    Is the Grand Marnier good?
    Drunk a red vine this afternoon... wow! really good.

You should stop smoking man.
    Since you're always talkin' about that "WWWEEEEEEDDD"... this is a problem for ya.
    Stop that.
    I stopped smokin' weed, resine, around 2 years ago, I'm much better.
    Stopped smokin' cigarets 4 months ago.

And about the motivation, repeat after me:
    "Problem is not to stay motivated, problem is to make enough money to live"

Aahh!!
    Peace.

hope you enjoy the holidaze.

Bapt.

• Don't know how to motivate you. Keep your head up!!

That's not what I meant. I'm a little over motivated. I take on so many things at once. I just have to remember to shift my priorities when need be, but when it comes to creativity, I really have no choice. It's what keeps me going, like oxygen.

I meant clue us into your sick techniques. Not that I'd steal 'em. Your shit is just too ill. OK. I'm out. Not trying to get into a circle jerk, serious.

Don't forget the table.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    Cheapo Records 365 days open 9am-12pm

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Cheapo Records 365 days open 9am-12pm

Same with their sister store, Everyday Music (Portland, Seattle).

• Kyle, ahahh!!! don't mess!
    Is the Grand Marnier good?
    Drunk a red vine this afternoon... wow! really good.

You should stop smoking man.
    Since you're always talkin' about that "WWWEEEEEEDDD"... this is a problem for ya.
    Stop that.
    I stopped smokin' weed, resine, around 2 years ago, I'm much better.
    Stopped smokin' cigarets 4 months ago.

And about the motivation, repeat after me:
    "Problem is not to stay motivated, problem is to make enough money to live"

I hear you mon frere fraicais!

New Years resolution #2 is to cut back the green intake.

New Years resolution #1 is to get my life together in a few key areas (finish university degree, find better job, stop worrying about girls that don't want me and focus on ones that do)... which should basically take care of resolution #2. haha.

I can't try to lie to myself though... I don't think I'll ever stop smoking for good. I could easily never touch a drop of alcohol again... but weed has always been my relaxation drug of choice, and I think expecting myself to just stop is unrealistic. Gotta set goals that are attainable, otherwise you get frustrated for never realizing them. If I can cut back to weekends only, I'll be pretty proud of myself. I just have to find a better balance.

• ps - the grand marnier is really good. one ice cube.

• ps - the grand marnier is really good. one ice cube.