thieves! (NRR)

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
so I've been getting my solar lights stolen out of my front yard. After the 1st time i cemented them all in, well last night 2 more were stolen! Anyone got any ideas on how to catch/get back at the fucks doing it? I'm thinking supperglue razor blades on the back side of the remaining lights so that when they go for 'em in a rush they'll get cut the fuck up. I have no sypathy for people like this (even if they are just kids) they need to learn a hard lesson. If I'm fortunate enough to wake up next time it happens I'm beatin ghte shit out of 'em w/ a shovel...

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Planning to injure someone, even when they're stealing your property, could get you some jailtime.

Get a paintball gun and wait for 'em, Chuck Norris style...

• jail time? really? how so. I don't know of any laws against having dangerous shit on your property...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hide a boombox somewhere and connect it's power to the solar lights somehow. Leave a Kenny G or a Marilyn Manson CD to play at full volume. Enjoy.

• you will definitely wind up getting sued if you booby-trap them in any way.

• jail time? really? how so. I don't know of any laws against having dangerous shit on your property...

If you put up a clearly visable sign that warned the thieves that there were razor blades you would be ok, but that would defeat the purpose.

jail time? really? how so. I don't know of any laws against having dangerous shit on your property...

It can be conspiracy to commit assault; even if no criminal charges are brought against you, you can be sued in civil court (I know this sort of thing has happened before).

on what grounds? If someone has no right to be on my private property and they hurt themselves how is that my fault? Can I at least wait up one night, beat the shit out of 'em, drag 'em off my property, and claim ignorance. The word of some fucking theif vs. mine is probably not so good... Sometimes I wish I lived in TX where it's legal to protect your property with deadly force...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    you will definitely wind up getting sued if you booby-trap them in any way.
    on what grounds? If someone has no right to be on my private property and they hurt themselves how is that my fault? Can I at least wait up one night, beat the shit out of 'em, drag 'em off my property, and claim ignorance. The word of some fucking theif vs. mine is probably not so good... Sometimes I wish I lived in TX where it's legal to protect your property with deadly force...

You would probably be OK if you just shot them, but sticking glass shards, razors etc would def give you legal problems. It's the difference between defending yourself vs. intent to cause bodily harm.

Now if you go into Trinidad (and I am sure this is true in Jamaica and probably many other places) everyone's walls around their houses have broken glass cemented into the tops of the wall. You would have a line of people here in the US looking to burgle you just so's they could sue you after.

• Yeah you can be held liable if you have any hazardous situations on your property and someone hurts/kills themselves on them.

Think of people getting sued when kids wander onto their property and drown in their pool. Same deal.

If I was you I would get some decent webcams, get a security program off the internet, hook them up to your computer, and just record.

Then you will at least get to see who is doing it.

• yeah, Mexico has the glass topped walls too. And yes tall bob I am mad doggie! I guess I just have to resighn myself to the fact that I can't put anything in the front yard. It's too bad 'cause they really look nice. Maybe eventually I'll just build a wall and succum to the compound aesthetic...

you will definitely wind up getting sued if you booby-trap them in any way.

Just like when those two goons beat up Nancy Kerrigan's knee, you're committing conspiracy to commit assault when you plan the crime. Like this, as an example, as well as this. . If you're planning to commit something that is a crime under state and federal laws--even when defending your own property, you can be charged with a crime. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying...

• so If I hadn't told any of ya'll and just put the blades on 'cause I liked the look I'd be in the clear?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Actually, you can get sued over anything. The question here is whether or not he actually would bear a legitimate legal liability if he protected his private property ON HIS PRIVATE PROPERTY and someone got injured in an attempt to steal it. Is that really illegal?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sometimes I wish I lived in TX where it's legal to protect your property with deadly force...

Home of the "But Judge, He NEEDED Killin'" defense!!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think you could get in trouble if you affixed the deadly items to the thing they were tryign to steal.. but if you accidently "lost" a board with nails in it nearby you could probably claim ingnorance

why not get a motion light so that the area is illuminated when they walk onto the property.

• thanks Odub!

so If I hadn't told any of ya'll and just put the blades on 'cause I liked the look I'd be in the clear?

Start deletin'!

• why not get a motion light so that the area is illuminated when they walk onto the property.
    in the works, but that's no small task I don't have and light (or even power) near there except the porch light so I'd have to run wire from my panel up through my attic and over to there. A days work and probably $100 in 14/2 wire, conduit, box and fixture...But that is on my long list...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

"please break into my home so I can shoot you legally"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    why not get a motion light so that the area is illuminated when they walk onto the property.
    in the works, but that's no small task I don't have and light (or even power) near there except the porch light so I'd have to run wire from my panel up through my attic and over to there. A days work and probably $100 in 14/2 wire, conduit, box and fixture...But that is on my long list...

ok go with the blades then.

or why not a stake out so you can at least see who's doin the deed.

invite some buddies and camp out.. catch the fuckers red handed... deliver the beat down.

have you're buddies vouch that you were just walking home and you stumbled onto the scene and lucky you your homeys were there to help protect you from the dangerous criminal who sadly got beaten to a pulp in an effort to protect you and your property.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

ok go with the blades then.

or why not a stake out so you can at least see who's doin the deed.

invite some buddies and camp out.. catch the fuckers red handed... deliver the beat down.

have you're buddies vouch that you were just walking home and you stumbled onto the scene and lucky you your homeys were there to help protect you from the dangerous criminal who sadly got beaten to a pulp in an effort to protect you and your property.

I believe this would still qualify as conspiracy to committ assault....

But I think it is warranted....maybe bait those lights, deck 'em out to make them irrisistable!

• or you could slather the lights in vaseline, limburger cheese or some other nasty goo, it wont hurt them but they will have some gross goo on their hands that will be on them for awhile....

I used to have a prob with cars parking in my driveway, and I would slather up their door handles...hehehehe

• cover the lamps in shit and piss and anything else nasty you have laying around.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    if its your front yard, why not some motion detecting flood lights?

They are not that expencive, 1 or 2 could light you front yard enough that dudes would probably be worried about being seen by neighbors.

• I can't remember what these are called but they are used to scare poachers, its basically a trip wire attached to a holder with blank shotgun shell, when the fool sets it off it makes a big bang !!!
    My friend has one set on his shed and set it off by accident
    Hunting shops should carry 'em...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I can't remember what these are called but they are used to scare poachers, its basically a trip wire attached to a holder with blank shotgun shell, when the fool sets it off it makes a big bang !!!

You know? That's a good idea. Non-lethal and everything.

• I can't remember what these are called but they are used to scare poachers, its basically a trip wire attached to a holder with blank shotgun shell, when the fool sets it off it makes a big bang !!!

You know? That's a good idea. Non-lethal and everything.

Then he's nailed via noise ordinance. Can't win, can he?

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• Lemme just say, cable organizers / zip ties/ whatEVER the fuck you call them, are by far my favorite innovation of the past decade or so.