Reggae "singers"

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Dudes are the shit, but for real sons, dudes, you can't sing.

Comments

• Options

Proper, K.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Like that Johnny Osbourne on Technics.

Johnny Osbourne you are not, Sizzla Kalongi.

• Dudes are the shit, but for real sons, dudes, you can't sing.

Sizzla and Jr. Kelly lean a bit more towards being "singjays" and I think they know they can't really belt it out. Pure emotion, though, at least from Sizzles.

But I have a soft spot for I-Wayne 'cause he reminds me of Hugh Mundell.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Man, if Sizzla's "singing" is "wrong," I don't wanna hear it done "right." I know you're not dissin', Cos, but Sizzla in particular accomplishes everything he needs to with his lovely voice. Hence and therefore, dude is an amazing "singer" in my mind.

"All my favorite singers couldn't sing." -- David Berman

-e

• Sizzla has some great songs he sings. My old roomate was a singer from JA. He had a real raspy, deep voice that was rarely on key, but damn if it didn't sound good. Much soul.

• Dudes are the shit, but for real sons, dudes, you can't sing.

Sizzla and Jr. Kelly lean a bit more towards being "singjays" and I think they know they can't really belt it out. Pure emotion, though, at least from Sizzles.

But I have a soft spot for I-Wayne 'cause he reminds me of Hugh Mundell.

true, most of the singers in modern day reggae/dancehall lean toward "singjaying". There are a few true singers like luciano, morgan heritage, etc. With the advent of pro tools and all its various plugins a lot of second rate "singjays" can now sound like real singers.