How to cook Rice Correctly????

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Do Tell! It's pretty bad when you go to a Japanesse Resturanty and the Rice ain't on Point... Now that's sad... Hey I got sticky rice on my socks OH SNAP I hate it when that happens!!!!!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do Tell! It's pretty bad when you go to a Japanesse Resturanty and the Rice ain't on Point... Now that's sad... Hey I got sticky rice on my socks OH SNAP I hate it when that happens!!!!!!

1 2/3rd to 2 cups of water to 1 cup of(long grain)rice.

japanese sticky rice..........i dont know.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    4 cups of rice (that real schitt jasmin and shit none of that uncle ben`s shite)
    5 cups of water
    are the proportions (for my jasmin long grain at least)

water to boil
    add salt and oil
    drop in the rice and wait it will clog itself up
    break that shit up and wait for the water to re start bubbling
    once reboiling lower the fire and leave the lid slightly opened for the steam to bounce

30-40 min and perfect rice

This is a experience thing though so i suggest you check your rice and if its ready but there is still too much water strain that shit

good luck

good rice skills

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a rice cooker is a good investment. one bought from a chinese or middle eastern or indian store is best.

good rice skills

co sign.

• a rice cooker is a good investment. one bought from a chinese or middle eastern or indian store is best.

Yes but I have noticed some rice cookers don't cook properly, where can one find a good one and what is the top brand????

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    definitly get a rice cooker. you can get a small one for half a bill.

o and does anyone wash their rice b4 cooking? cause i think your supposta

• a rice cooker is a good investment. one bought from a chinese or middle eastern or indian store is best.

Co-signal, a rice cooker is the only way to make good sticky asian rice. Regular rice go with the 2 parts water, one part rice, cook med low for 18 to 20 minutes.

• does anyone wash their rice b4 cooking? cause i think your supposta

I do, although some rice comes pre washed.

Shobayashi makes a great rice cooker.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts

Buy some jasmin rice at an asian market, the one with the three ladies or the one with the deer on it is the best bet.

And get one of these rice cookers!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    does anyone wash their rice b4 cooking? cause i think your supposta

I do, although some rice comes pre washed.

Shobayashi makes a great rice cooker.

i still wash the pre-washed ones... theres some milky ish that comes out seems a little

i do cause my mom does - none of my friends do though. i only know cause Man and I argued about whether or not to and so I asked around.

there's grit and pebbles in there!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i do cause my mom does - none of my friends do though. i only know cause Man and I argued about whether or not to and so I asked around.

supposta = mommy says so

• igboigbo 44 Posts

not only grit and pebbles, but also a lot of excess starch. Washing it several times in water helps to release excess starch of th grain, therefore you won't gummy starchy rice..nice fluffy individual grains

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    rinse it three times in water.

• washing rice is basic...you know how dirty that shit is?!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Buying rice in a peuvian market i had to filter the pebbles depending on quality/price of rice

rice cooker is cool but only way to get good sticky rice no way

It is an essential skill for anyone travelling with a tight budget to now how to prepare rice

• It is an essential skill for anyone travelling with a tight budget to now how to prepare rice
    cooking rice while traveling? what you roll w/ a pot and a hot plate?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    It is an essential skill for anyone travelling with a tight budget to now how to prepare rice
    cooking rice while traveling? what you roll w/ a pot and a hot plate?

When you are staying in latin america/africa/asia bro

I`ve been cooking ramen noodles with hotel water boilers for ever but always dream of carrying my electric wok with me.

Bus station sautee

washing rice is basic...you know how dirty that shit is?!

Even pre washed? Doesn't bacteria die at boiling temps? U cant be %100 sterile.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

boil a big ole pot of water, dont worry about quantities, just boil a lot.
    add your rice and bring back to the boil. boil the rice for EXACTLY 8 minutes.
    drain the rice (use a funky colander ) then dump it back in the pot, put the lid back on and go and chill for 15 minutes
    (toss the rice one time within the 15 minutes) when you return, you will be greeted with badass light, fluffy rice.

works every time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Stop the nonsense. You need one of these:

http://www.zojirushi.com/ricecookers.html

Fuzzy logic, batches.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Stop the nonsense. You need done of these:
    http://www.zojirushi.com/ricecookers.html

You also need one of those rice despenser machines.

• Do Tell! It's pretty bad when you go to a Japanesse Resturanty and the Rice ain't on Point... Now that's sad... Hey I got sticky rice on my socks OH SNAP I hate it when that happens!!!!!!

are there japanese restaurants out there that have rice that can't be globbed together like a snowball? how would you eat it with chopsticks then? one grain at a time?

not only grit and pebbles, but also a lot of excess starch. Washing it several times in water helps to release excess starch of th grain, therefore you won't gummy starchy rice..nice fluffy individual grains

does this mean you guys don't like sticky rice? i dont understand how people can eat that uncle bens/restaurant type rice that doesn't hold together when you mash it with a fork and spoon... i wash my rice too, but its still gotta be the sticky-icky... brown rice is the shit too, the one with the husks still on it

maybe its a filipino thing....

does this mean you guys don't like sticky rice? i dont understand how people can eat that uncle bens/restaurant type rice that doesn't hold together when you mash it with a fork and spoon... i wash my rice too, but its still gotta be the sticky-icky... brown rice is the shit too, the one with the husks still on it

maybe its a filipino thing....

it depends on what you're having - i don't want sticky rice with curries and stews or fried rice, but if it's going in soup or a burrito or a wrap - a little sticky/dense is fine.

• brown rice is the shit too, the one with the husks still on it
    fo sho

it depends on what you're having - i don't want sticky rice with curries and stews or fried rice, but if it's going in soup or a burrito or a wrap - a little sticky/dense is fine.

You are so not Asian, are you?

please elaborate

please elaborate

How can you not want sticky rice with curry or stews? You want little flaky rice with that stuff? Same goes with fried rice. You ever tried to eat fried rice with chopsticks when it's NOT sticky?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Just get the Black & Decker steamer... perfect everytime.