WANTED: Benny Golson "I'm Always Dancin..." 12"

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited November 2005 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
I've been outbid twice over the past week, getting tired of it. Will pay $300 for a clean copy, more if unplayed. Got trades too.

Comments

• wasn't Benny Golson mentioned in the Terminal? the movie w/ Tom Hanks & Catherine Zeta-Jones? I had no idea he was an actual person.

sorry for my little dude status.

btw, i enjoyed the movie, i just feel it was marketed wrong.

-rich

• he was a famous jazz sax player in the 50s & 60s, but somewhat surprisingly put out this catchy piece of discoey soul in the late 70s.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I've been outbid twice over the past week, getting tired of it. Will pay $300 for a clean copy, more if unplayed. Got trades too.

don't have it but i know i passed by it at an old disco hook-up. silly me.
    problem is that there's only 150+ boxes to go back through.

i'll let you know if i'm able to turn it up.

peace.

• let's say you can go through 10-15 boxes in an hour - i've noticed that's roughly what i can do - it's still $20-30/hour if you don't count the travel time. but it just might be in the first box you open.

• let's say you can go through 10-15 boxes in an hour - i've noticed that's roughly what i can do - it's still $20-30/hour if you don't count the travel time. but it just might be in the first box you open.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    let's say you can go through 10-15 boxes in an hour - i've noticed that's roughly what i can do - it's still $20-30/hour if you don't count the travel time. but it just might be in the first box you open.

excellent math.

yes, about 10-15 in an hour sounds about right.

but let's just say that i put in three 8 hour days at this spot and still had 30 to 40 boxes left. so maybe it's more like 250 boxes.

regardless, when i do make it back and assuming that this spot still exists following the hurricanes, i'll gladly look for it. i'd go there tomorrow if i was able to.

But one question remains: did Golson have a bunch of 12"s from this period? Perhaps it was a different title of his.

hope all's well!

peace.

• benny golson may be known for the track killer joe.

i have never heard that disco 12" would love to hear what a 500 dollar disco record on a major label sounds like. is it a special mix cause it says on the label it's from an lp ?

• all's well here ari - hoping things are getting better in nola as well.

there might be another promo 12" from the same period, new killer joe, but i can't confirm it right now.

• is it a special mix cause it says on the label it's from an lp ?

it's from an album of the same name that most here have surely seen around. i don't think the mixes are different. i just prefer the 12".

• Options
    benny golson may be known for the track killer joe.

i have never heard that disco 12" would love to hear what a 500 dollar disco record on a major label sounds like. is it a special mix cause it says on the label it's from an lp ?

You have got to be kidding me, Dave??? Don't tell me you've never seen the lp or heard the tune.

I don't believe you.

Kevin.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I have had this 12" a few times and always end up selling it. It is not worth the money trust me on this! It is different then the album version and I know music is personally and we all have a different preference and yes I would prefer a 12" any day over an lp but the lp version is actually better then the 12" mix. The 12" is re-edited and of course I don't think they did it right from a dj stand point. If they had any one smart at columbia they would re-issue this 12" now along with willie bobo, street player and others. You would really be doing yourself a favor buy picking up the lp for $1 somewhere. Then having $299 to play with!

• benny golson may be known for the track killer joe.

You have got to be kidding me, Dave??? Don't tell me you've never seen the lp or heard the tune.

I don't believe you.

Kevin.

not really my style of music sorry. maybe i've passed up the lp before but i really don't know it.

• I have had this 12" a few times and always end up selling it. It is not worth the money trust me on this! It is different then the album version and I know music is personally and we all have a different preference and yes I would prefer a 12" any day over an lp but the lp version is actually better then the 12" mix. The 12" is re-edited and of course I don't think they did it right from a dj stand point. If they had any one smart at columbia they would re-issue this 12" now along with willie bobo, street player and others. You would really be doing yourself a favor buy picking up the lp for $1 somewhere. Then having $299 to play with!

thanks for the info. the 12" is something i've had on my mental want list for close to 10 years and have yet to turn up, unlike most titles on that list. i always thought some parts of the song are super cheesy, but nevertheless wanted it and still do... lol.
    i've had the album countless times, but always sold it expecting to find the 12".

you're on point with the reissue thing. the good quality rca 12" reissues out right now (wycoff, burke) are selling like hot cakes. then again, i don't know if they're legit either.