Best Jimmy McGriff and Jimmy Smith

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Rank 'em. I've been trying to buy more of their music lately. Want to know where I should look first.

Comments

• Options
    The Worm fro McGriff and the jazzdance one for Smith IMO.

K.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    best Jimmy Mcgriff-Soul Sugar

Best Jimmy Smith-Root Down

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

yup, ya beat me to it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

yup, ya beat me to it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like McGriff's "A Thing to Come By" on Solid State...tough one to find, too - lives up to it's title.

I still haven't heard the stuff Smith put out himself, "Paid in Full," etc, but of the earlier stuff I like "Respect" "Root Down" and some of his earlier Blue Notes, depending on who plays with him...

• I like McGriff's "A Thing to Come By" on Solid State...tough one to find, too - lives up to it's title.

I still haven't heard the stuff Smith put out himself, "Paid in Full," etc, but of the earlier stuff I like "Respect" "Root Down" and some of his earlier Blue Notes, depending on who plays with him...

Paid In Full is pretty dope, I like the track "Can't Get Enough".

• best Jimmy Mcgriff-Soul Sugar

spot on. peace, stein. . .

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Jimmy Smith= Ritual (Funky 5/4) from Portugese Soul (moody loops for days)

McGriff= Fat Cakes

agreed...

... and my best Jimmy Smith certainly for the fact that it's arranged by Lalo Schifrin
    and inspired by french actor Alain Delon

• agreed on mcgriff's soul sugar, basically all his groove merchant is nice.
    Jimmy Smith's Sit on it, produced by eugene mcdaniels is quite good, it's on mercury. bluesmith is also good as is paid in full. For the earlier joints, check out the chicken shack record, which is just some nice straight ahead jazz, particularly "When I grow to old to dream."

• My fave McGriff is the Blues For Mister Jimmy LP on Sue.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    What is up w/ Mcgriff's "if you are ready, come with me" lp?
    Was it a compilation or original sides?

For me it's "Good things don't Happen Everyday". Junior Parker actually makes it very soulful.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

me too.

but perhaps Jimmy Smith "Blacksmith" on Pride is an honourable mention.

• but perhaps Jimmy Smith "Blacksmith" on Pride is an honourable mention.

• For me it's "Good things don't Happen Everyday". Junior Parker actually makes it very soulful.

Okay, I got a question...I've been seeing the McGriff/Parker collaboration in stores for years, but haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

Is Good Things Don't Happen Everyday the same elpee as The Dudes Doin' Business? And if so, was it recorded live?

A while back I found a single of "Pretty Baby" by McGriff and Parker on United Artists, and the 45 (a live performance) just takes off from the time you lower the needle on the vinyl. I don't know whether it was the band or some chick by the bar he was trying to impress that inspired him, but Junior's voice and harmonica take this one clear into the stratosphere. Anyway, after buying this single I figured I had to track down the full LP to see if it's up to the same standard...

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

For me it's "Good things don't Happen Everyday". Junior Parker actually makes it very soulful.

Okay, I got a question...I've been seeing the McGriff/Parker collaboration in stores for years, but haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

Is Good Things Don't Happen Everyday the same elpee as The Dudes Doin' Business? And if so, was it recorded live?

Well, groovemerchant did have a pentiant for re-issuing albums, but this one is NOT live. I know it doesn't get a lot of love, but this album floors me.

• I'll go with Jimmy McGriff "Electric Funk" (or "the Worm")..........

I gree with Smith "The Cat" (or "Dynamic Duo" with Wes M.)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My fave McGriff is the Blues For Mister Jimmy LP on Sue.
    I can vouch for the radness of this record.