put your hand in the hand r. r.

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
why are half the versions wack/country soundin? peace, stein. . . p.s. my favorite version is by the northern lights.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The Dana Valery version knocks pretty hard too.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    James Last

• why are half the versions wack/country soundin?
    cause its about god?

• 2nd chapter of acts version is pretty tough

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i did a track last year where i used a fairly unknown version by danish singer gitte h??nning.

check it:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19FP5V8KWG7C11KSTNC5SOZ2O8

• why are half the versions wack/country soundin?

what do you expect? it was a poppy-sounding song to begin with (orig. version by ocean, ca. 1971). just cause it has a open drum break doesnt mean that it was meant to be a b-boy thing from the start.

• Anybody else ever find this song stuck in your head?

"put your hand in the hand of the hand thats a hand of the hand blah blah hand"

the funny thing is i've never actually listened to any version all the way through.

dave

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Anybody else ever find this song stuck in your head?

the funny thing is i've never actually listened to any version all the way through.

dave

me neither.

i did a track last year where i used a fairly unknown version by danish singer gitte h??nning.

check it:

??
    this link seem to have an error...?

heres one that might work:

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GGAEQ2IW2WF52VUUE28GOD1LP

dave

me neither.

Me neither. I've never made it past that first line. but thats the one that gets stuck in my head.

check it:

??
    this link seem to have an error...?

heres one that might work:

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GGAEQ2IW2WF52VUUE28GOD1LP

and btw i have a spare trade copy gitte h??nning for the drum hungry....

• [i]My mama taught me how to pray before I reached the age of sevenb, 21She said "there'll come a time when there'll probably be room in heaven"b, 21But I'm feelin' kinda guilty 'bout the number of times we do what we must dob, 21We forget what He said but we figure that he'll still make room/i1b, 21b, 21Ocean's OG hit version is a major guilty pleasure of mine, and that slightly awkward verse I quoted above is The Part That Kills Me...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ocean version sets the benchmark.b, 21Englebert Humperdeans version is dope too.(freshest horns of any versions), James Last, Tony Barber, Barry Crocker (best bassline) ones rate a mention.... and the EMI band's cover of the James Last cover (the irony) has some mean drums on it.b, 21b, 21How many versions would there be out there? I got school band albumns doing it, I got country, folk, funk, rock, jazz versions... I put together the better ones for a track and we ended up with about 14 different versions to use...after dropping about 7 shit versions.b, 21b, 21Wonder if all SS heads could generate a complete list... then we sell the information to thebreaks.com heads!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So Ocean broke that tune? I always assumed Anne Murray's was 1st, don't know why.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    ahh shit forgot about her version... I actually have two versions of hers, one with drums (which are quite hectic) and one without....

• Donny Hathaway's version, which is breakless:b, 21b, 21/object1b, 21b, 21There's a really good rendition by the Hopson Family, a gospel group, on the Luna label. Like Hathaway's version, it is break-free...but still good.

• wowie. this post is old. i got so many more good ones since then. . .b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• no one has mentioned the one by Glenn Yarbrough. at least as good drums as the ocean one. (or am i spacing out and its some other track he did with the nice open break?)

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21wowie. this post is old. i got so many more good ones since then. . .b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21haa.. yeah funny when a old post pops up like that, always concidered Put Your Hand In th Hand to be one of the most covered breakbeat tracks, big song in both US and europe.. up there with Dizzy by Tommy Roe which imo is the MOST covered (breakbeat) track evaar!!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21no one has mentioned the one by Glenn Yarbrough. at least as good drums as the ocean one. (or am i spacing out and its some other track he did with the nice open break?) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Glenn Yardbrough is the better one.. waay more bangin, but then again i really never did like the Ocean one much! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21wowie. this post is old. i got so many more good ones since then. . .b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21haa.. yeah funny when a old post pops up like that, always concidered Put Your Hand In th Hand to be one of the most covered breakbeat tracks, big song in both US and europe.. up there with Dizzy by Tommy Roe which imo is the MOST covered (breakbeat) track evaar!! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21no way are there more dizzys than pyhithb, 21dont forget gomlwb, 21b, 21on the reggae breaks cd that johnny was selling a couple years back (probly a muro mix) there was a sick version of pyhith with a male/female combo. anyone know what it was?

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    Break record talk? Wow... I just heard Anne's version and Glenn's version yesterday... Whats the name of the one with the different hand gestures on the cover?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Break record talk? Wow... I just heard Anne's version and Glenn's version yesterday... Whats the name of the one with the different hand gestures on the cover? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=1224211&page=4&fpart=1/a1b, 21b, 21peep billbradley's post...b, 21b, 21oh and the glenn1anne imo

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Anybody else ever find this song stuck in your head?b, 21b, 21b, 21"put your hand in the hand of the hand thats a hand of the hand blah blah hand" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21the funny thing is i've never actually listened to any version all the way through. b, 21b, 21dave b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21me neither. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Me neither. I've never made it past that first line. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Smart move.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Anybody else ever find this song stuck in your head?b, 21b, 21b, 21"put your hand in the hand of the hand thats a hand of the hand blah blah hand" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read this and thought "Oh yeah, that happens to me too!" b, 21b, 21b, 21and then I realized that it was me a few years ago.....b, 21b, 21b, 21that was kind of weird.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Anybody else ever find this song stuck in your head?b, 21b, 21b, 21"put your hand in the hand of the hand thats a hand of the hand blah blah hand" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read this and thought "Oh yeah, that happens to me too!" b, 21b, 21b, 21and then I realized that it was me a few years ago.....b, 21b, 21b, 21that was kind of weird. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I ain't gonna lie, I saw that name "Salary Diz" and thought "damn, I don't think I've seen his posts in a while..."b, 21b, 21The names change, but the people never leave...(with a few exceptions)