Leon Thomas Spirits Known and Unknown Question

baggiobaggio 62 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Does anybody have an original copy? I'm looking to buy one but I'm not sure it's a reish. It's a gatefold with the red/gray label off of Flying Dutch. Anybody know what the numbers ingraved in the vinyl are?Thx in advance,b

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Mine has:

FDS 115 A
    FDS 115 B

and a Van Gelder stamp in the deadwax.

• Thanks dude. Is your label white or that redish/grey circle?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    that redish/grey circle

• and a Van Gelder stamp in the deadwax.
    really? mines doesn't have that, nor does it list van gelder as the engineer in the credits

but it is that red-ish gray/blue circle label. the all white labels w/ the logo in color, were only used on the later flying dutchman lp's (post '72 or '73 i think).

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

and a Van Gelder stamp in the deadwax.
    really? mines doesn't have that, nor does it list van gelder as the engineer in the credits

but it is that red-ish gray/blue circle label. the all white labels w/ the logo in color, were only used on the later flying dutchman lp's (post '72 or '73 i think).

Sounds like yours might be a early 70s reish. I've got the Van Gelder imprinted blue/red/purple label one as well, and the guy i got it from was an ooold jazzhead who bought it when it came out in '69.

But Van Gelder didn't engineer that album, so what's the story on the imprint in the dead wax? I hadn't noticed that before reading this thread

• and a Van Gelder stamp in the deadwax.

Sounds like yours might be a early 70s reish. I've got the Van Gelder imprinted blue/red/purple label one as well, and the guy i got it from was an ooold jazzhead who bought it when it came out in '69.

But Van Gelder didn't engineer that album, so what's the story on the imprint in the dead wax? I hadn't noticed that before reading this thread
    nah it can't be an early 70's re-press, because all the re-presses have the all white label with the flying dutchman logo in color. mine is definately the slightly thicker and heavier 1st press with the multi-color circle label. that's odd that yours has a van gelder stamp though. what's up with that...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Does anybody have an original copy? I'm looking to buy one but I'm not sure it's a reish. It's a gatefold with the red/gray label off of Flying Dutch. Anybody know what the numbers ingraved in the vinyl are?

Thx in advance,
    b

The new reissues are a dead giveaway, that glossy carboard(white inside), you can spot them a mile away. The OG is a very heavy cardboard with a laminate gloss similar to Impulse gatefolds of the 60s era. I can't speak to how many pressings there were at the time and into the 70s(like how the more popular Gil Scott-Heron LPs on FD had several runs), but a 70s press Spirits Known and Unknown is hard to mistake for a new reissue.

• Does anybody have an original copy? I'm looking to buy one but I'm not sure it's a reish. It's a gatefold with the red/gray label off of Flying Dutch. Anybody know what the numbers ingraved in the vinyl are?

Thx in advance,
    b

The new reissues are a dead giveaway, that glossy carboard(white inside), you can spot them a mile away. The OG is a very heavy cardboard with a laminate gloss similar to Impulse gatefolds of the 60s era. I can't speak to how many pressings there were at the time and into the 70s(like how the more popular Gil Scott-Heron LPs on FD had several runs)[/b], but a 70s press Spirits Known and Unknown is hard to mistake for a new reissue.

I think Leon Thomas was just as popular as Gil Scott-Heron - his name is referenced in several rock and jazz magazines of the early 70's (Rolling Stone even did a feature article on him in 1970), and I've definitely seen his albums out in the field more times than Gil's.

We've actually had the discussion before about which Flying Dutchman label came first (the one with the concentric circles) - check the archives for the Gil Scott-Heron thread regarding Pieces Of A Man.