Chong calls Cheech a "professional Mexican"

2»

Comments

• Like his character on 'That 70's Show'?

I have to admit, I have never seen that show - at least, not when he was on it.
    An even further confession of far more damaging proportions: I have seen Nash Bridges, if only briefly, and I don't remember his character on there being some kind of played-up stereotype.

And if I get on that point, it just means somebody watches more Nash Bridges than I.

I have seen him in other shows and movies, though, where the "beaner" routine was nowhere in sight, I swear.

that one-note "character" needs the movie "Cheech" to be viable

Absolutely.

Chong is/was on 'That 70's Show'.

Not any more.... you'll never guess why they fired him!

Hmmmmmm....let's see........Did he beat the shit out of Ashton Kutcher (that's what I'd do)????

An even further confession of far more damaging proportions: I have seen Nash Bridges, if only briefly, and I don't remember his character on there being some kind of played-up stereotype.

And if I get on that point, it just means somebody watches more Nash Bridges than I.

I have seen him in other shows and movies, though, where the "beaner" routine was nowhere in sight, I swear.

Absolutely.

Hmmmmmm....let's see........Did he beat the shit out of Ashton Kutcher (that's what I'd do)????

I watch that 70s show and love it, I'll admit it...find me another prime time sitcom with many many drug refrences in which bad things never happen when the characters are on drugs...but I digress...I used to hate on Ashton but the dude made Justin Timberlake cry and that makes him ok in my book.

Absolutely.

I watch that 70s show and love it, I'll admit it...find me another prime time sitcom with many many drug refrences in which bad things never happen when the characters are on drugs...but I digress...I used to hate on Ashton but the dude made Justin Timberlake cry and that makes him ok in my book.

I forgot about that...

• Whatever, they both suck, Chong is slightly more relevant, only coz he's a celeb who got witch hunted.

But WHOOP WHOOP this move be BAAAAAADDDDD!

this movie RULES. you are crazy!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    how does one act like a professional Mexican.
    I think he's trying to say he is a cash cow sell out hawking his ethnicity to the highest bidder. He's a "token" for hire...

oh ok, I thnk thats a bad argument cause dude has left the stoner mexican typecast he was stuk in and branched out. More than what can be said for Chong who's still playing the same characters he was doing in the late 70's

Cheech did not "branch out". He traded one stereotype (albeit a slightly edgy one) for another. He is now a "nice" Mexican, safe for prime time consumption. I think maybe that's what's got Chong's patchouli boiling...

This isn't directed at you, but gottdamn it seems like fools can't win!

It's like if a Mexican isn't a gangster or a gardener he's "white"?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Cheech Lost.

Cheech in Target Ads. Chong in jail.

Tommy chong is the realest. Mabye he'll try a rap album......He probably already did.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Cheech Lost.

Tommy chong is the realest. Mabye he'll try a rap album......He probably already did.

You guys make me laugh.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Cheech Lost.

Heck, I'd rather be in a Target ad than in jail. I guess I'm just not real enough.

• I tend to side with Chong on isues of post-Cheech & Chong "authenticity". I believe that Cheech's "Nash Bridges" experience wiped away any lingering coolness he might have had (Don Johnson'll do that...)

co-sign

Not to mention that Cheech claims Geraldo Rivera as his main homie now-a-days....

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

yeah fuck hating on cheech. the dude is 59 and doesnt smoke weed any more. is it really that hard to realize he wants to play a "nice" mexican who doesnt smoke because in fact thats what the fuck he is? chong is keepin it real by beggin for work from the SMART mexican who handled his business.

• Not a fan of Nash Bridges myself.

But I know Cheech has done a lot of work helping to promote talented Latino/Chicano artists in recent years, can't see anything too wrong with that.

• yeah fuck hating on cheech. the dude is 59 and doesnt smoke weed any more. is it really that hard to realize he wants to play a "nice" mexican who doesnt smoke because in fact thats what the fuck he is? chong is keepin it real by beggin for work from the SMART mexican who handled his business.

At least he's still Mexican.