Question for Monty Stark (is you out there??)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
aight here's my question: i see you up here every once in a while, but i never actually see you type anything about records, as far as collecting, listening, or whatever. i'm just curious, what's your record collection like? what are your favorite joints in rotation? do you still collect them? did you ever collect them? what's your most sought after rekkid? SIRO

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    yo mang, you forgot one:

Whats your favourite type of beandip?

• yo mang, you forgot one:

Whats your favourite type of beandip?

true, now we're good.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    aight here's my question: i see you up here every once in a while, but i never actually see you type anything about records, as far as collecting, listening, or whatever. i'm just curious, what's your record collection like? what are your favorite joints in rotation? do you still collect them? did you ever collect them? what's your most sought after rekkid?
    SIRO
    records? i have a few SR on ST - no Hoagy OG.

i was never a "collector" - i bought them back in the day to listen to - study.

spend my time now on my own new music which, it looks like, no one will ever hear.

and i don't use bean dip.

• aight here's my question: i see you up here every once in a while, but i never actually see you type anything about records, as far as collecting, listening, or whatever. i'm just curious, what's your record collection like? what are your favorite joints in rotation? do you still collect them? did you ever collect them? what's your most sought after rekkid?
    SIRO
    records? i have a few SR on ST - no Hoagy OG.

i was never a "collector" - i bought them back in the day to listen to - study.

spend my time now on my own new music which, it looks like, no one will ever hear.[/b]

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

spend my time now on my own new music which, it looks like, no one will ever hear.

I'd want to hear some new Monty stuff.

• and i don't use bean dip. [/b]

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Monty, if I remember right you posted a version you did of... Giant Steps maybe?

Shit was

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I'd want to hear some new Monty stuff.

shit, maybe the newly born soulstrut label could put it out.

• Monty, if I remember right you posted a version you did of... Giant Steps maybe?

Shit was
    it would be if someone could re-post that... but i don't understand, why wouldn't say, stones throw put that shit out, monty?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Monty, if I remember right you posted a version you did of... Giant Steps maybe?

Shit was
    it would be
    if someone could re-post that... but i don't understand, why wouldn't say, stones throw put that shit out, monty?

I know i shouldnt answer for mr. stark, but my guess is becuase hsi new stuff is a large departure from his early work. The new stuff isnt exactely in the mold of stonethrows now:again imprint.

Within a year or so, i would love to get a band (complete with string/horn section) to record some stuff of mine. Probably just a pipedream, but getting Monty to play/compose on that project would be uber-facemelt...

• montymonty 420 Posts

Shit was
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=monty+stark+giant+steps

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    love this place

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Monty, you are the truth.

Im interested to hear any new shit you got!

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Monty...

Love all of yr. stuff I've heard (stark reality and giant steps on the fairlight included) and I'd like to know a sentence or two of what you think about the following artists, or just the viewpoint of a musician who heard them play back in the golden days:

Miles Davis:
    John Coltrane:
    Mose Allison:
    Albert Ayler:
    Ornette Coleman:
    Eric Dolphy:
    Gary Burton:
    Cal Tjader:
    Milt Jackson:
    Cecil Taylor:
    Anthony Braxton:

just curious...respond if you feel like it.

peace,
    gnz

• montymonty 420 Posts
    love them all.

• You're bugging, it's the first result.

As I remembered from last time; technically I really like it, but sound-wise not as much.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

You're bugging, it's the first result.
    Anyhow, here's the direct link:
    http://home.att.net/~quazar5/Giant_Steps.mp3
    As I remembered from last time; technically I really like it, but sound-wise not as much.

Aaahahah!!!!
    My bad, right I'm bugging.
    I thought that M. Stark made something with Giant Steps??

PS/ Don't tell me that it's true. LOL

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yeah - give the direct link so nobody'll have to go to the page and (if they're not ADD) they might listen to something else there... out of dozens of free mp3s on the site. 'Giant Steps' is not a fairlight, although there is a fairlight example on that page. sure, you don't like the "sound" of either. neither do i. fuck sound. remix it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "burrowed inside his Phoenix apartment with a collection of vintage synths and keyboards"

i would like to see this collection!

• montymonty 420 Posts
    i would like to see this collection!

http://home.att.net/%7Emontystark/Fairlight.html
    http://home.att.net/%7Emontystark/YamahaV50.html
    http://home.att.net/%7Emontystark/ARP2500.html
    (none of which i still use)

i'll play your keyboard with any sound you want.

• yeah - give the direct link so nobody'll have to go to the page and (if they're not ADD) they might listen to something else there... out of dozens of free mp3s on the site. 'Giant Steps' is not a fairlight, although there is a fairlight example on that page. sure, you don't like the "sound" of either. neither do i. fuck sound. remix it.

Wow-- sorry for trying to be helpful, I'll edit my post.

• montymonty 420 Posts

Aaahahah!!!!

heh....... bapt

to me the Coltrane composition is the OG 'Giant Steps'

• monty...quick question for you..i've got a copy of stanton davis "ghetto mysticism" which i love..was wondering is he still making music and is he still in the boston area? thanks man.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    monty...quick question for you..i've got a copy of stanton davis "ghetto mysticism" which i love..was wondering is he still making music and is he still in the boston area? thanks man.

Stanton called me not long ago from NYC - a great trumpet player still doing it.

that's him on the Stones Throw 101 DVD featured playing flugelhorn on 'Acting Thinking Feeling'

• monty...quick question for you..i've got a copy of stanton davis "ghetto mysticism" which i love..was wondering is he still making music and is he still in the boston area? thanks man.

Stanton called me not long ago from NYC - a great trumpet player still doing it.

that's him on the Stones Throw 101 DVD featured playing flugelhorn on 'Acting Thinking Feeling'
    no doubt....good to hear..thanks for the beautiful music monty!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    aight here's my question: i see you up here every once in a while, but i never actually see you type anything about records, as far as collecting, listening, or whatever. i'm just curious, what's your record collection like? what are your favorite joints in rotation? do you still collect them? did you ever collect them? what's your most sought after rekkid?
    SIRO

My experience with talented working musicians with thier own voice is, most do not sweat records. Most listen to everything, but don't care about having everything. Most don't care about originals, pressings, packaging. A pause tape that a fan hands them is as good as anything to listen to.

I knew a great bluegrass dobro player, I was surprised to see he only had a handful of records in his flat and they were all jazz sax players. Same with working blues musicians I knew who never listened to blues, it was gospel and 50s R&B. With jazz musicians I find they rarely are listening to guys who play their instrument in their style. Yet many seem very aware of current radio hits.

As a record collector and seller, I've always found this disappointing.

I'm guessing that Monty notices everything he hears including the music behind tv commercials. I wouldn't be surprised if he remembers everything he hears as well. I've heard Giant Steps dozens of times, but it is not fixed in my memory. I'm guessing Monty had it fixed, and understood after not too many listenings.

On a brighter note, did anyone see that tv show on John Lennon's portable jukebox.

Dan

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Aaahahah!!!!

heh....... bapt

to me the Coltrane composition is the OG 'Giant Steps'

I've recently received to many e-mails from 'em.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

yeah - remix it.

i'll play your keyboard with any sound you want.

Fairlight, YamahaV50, ARP2500, whatever...