Big ups to record stores that give you beer!

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Big ups to Cool Chris and dude from Rooky Ricardo's for hooking me up with beer on recent digging trips.

"People always buy more records when they're drunk" - Cool Chris

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    hell yeah, those are some of my favorite times in record stores. Beers, weed, and rackords

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Every Friday night at Philadelphia Record Exchange we used to drink beer and listen to Cambodian garage rock.

• Every day at Good Records we drink beer and listen

• Every Friday night at Philadelphia Record Exchange we used to drink beer and listen to Cambodian garage rock.

Now it's Thurday nights and the theme is "Who's better? early Kinks early Who or early Stones?"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Every Friday night at Philadelphia Record Exchange we used to drink beer and listen to Cambodian garage rock.

Now it's Thurday nights and the theme is "Who's better? early Kinks early Who or early Stones?"

This was back before they moved, and more importantly, back before Chris had a kid and when Tony was still there full time.

Those guys pulled me so many rock breaks I shingled my roof with records.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    listen to Cambodian garage rock.
    Whats that supposed to Mean? Are you for real?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    sounds real to me, you seem new here and maybe unfamiliar with the varied and diverse taste of strutters.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    listen to Cambodian garage rock.

Dudes played me a Cambodian cover of "Nothing Is The Same" once. Shit was chonkeyfire.

• listen to Cambodian garage rock.

Yup,it's real. I remember hearing this on one of those nights too.

But the real fun begins when Gregg Breth shows up.

• The back room of Crooked Beat Records (back in the day):

• anyone who spends time looking through the lotusland "office" is at least getting a sixer. & the sackman now has his "office" immediately next to mine.

then you have to climb our ladder tipsy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    video stores too. Big up Baseketball and 22's at Paradise Lost.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    What year was that released? And was it actually Cambodian people playing?

• I'm feeling Cambodian Rocks version of "Hip Hug Her."

I'm also feeling the "free beer at record store," as Alien & Rosshogg are well aware.

Last time I went to the local spot, the man on the right hooked me up with 2-3 free Budweisers, my man Cowbwoy showed up and got one, two girls showed up and got some, and we all hung out for about an hour after closing.

Of course, this may explain my purchasing of the Rihanna album in the same visit.

• I wanted to open a smoking annex in my shop. Smoke out all my customers first and THEN let them listen to some records (on good headphones). I think it would do wonders for my sales of Pink Floyd and King Tubby raers. Maybe I should move the shop to Vancouver or Amsterdam!
    I do have beer however if you happen to come in at closing and are of age.

• I wanted to open a smoking annex in my shop. Smoke out all my customers first and THEN let them listen to some records (on good headphones). I think it would do wonders for my sales of Pink Floyd and King Tubby raers. Maybe I should move the shop to Vancouver or Amsterdam!

... or just close your door... that's what I do

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    video stores too. Big up Baseketball and 22's at Paradise Lost.

Ma**ie is the man. I need to talk to that cat.

• Props to Dr. D aka Dennis at American Pie records in Santa Barbara for all the free booze. He usually had about ten empties on his "counter" by 3 in the afternoon. I used to actually make beer runs for him and stamp Vietnam vet association mailers for the discounts. DR D all day.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I went to a record store in Detroit one of my first times there. He knew we was friends of a friend of his so he says to us when we get there.

"You wanna smoke down before we get started?"

nice. Thank you sir.

Vertigo out in Grand Rapids always gives me beer and pizza on monday nights.

yeah, have to bring up the time before Crooked Beat opened up and you let myself, Cat and Chinwe in for a pre-opening session with the heini brews coming steady.

great memory for sure. thanks again man.

peas.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    that's funny - i take beer to the folks at my regular spot.

• A related story.
    A Dj friend of mine from New Zealand got a job a few years ago with a record store in San Francisco that most of us know. Being an illegal alien he knew he was going to paid under the table. On his first day of work the owner asked him how he wanted to get paid. "Do you want money, weed or records?" was the question. "A little of all three," he replied.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Big ups ... dude from Rooky Ricardo's

big dick?

man, i used to make the trip there at least every other week, and he'd always give me some of whatever he was eating, but never any beverages. i miss that spot.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I tipped back 3 old styles the other day with Boomer at Hyde Park Records. It was around 4 PM, and it felt fucking great.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Every day at Good Records we drink beer and listen

everytime !!

• Every day at Good Records we drink beer and listen

everytime !!

Maybe next time you'll have time for twiddle
    Knock you down a bit on that "Norman" 12"...

• milomilo 49 Posts

my kinda party.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Every day at Good Records we drink beer and listen

everytime !!

traded it in VT for, um, maple syrup ?
    no worries, i have rekkids
    & ........

just booked utrecht, yeehaw !!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I bought a few hundred bucks of Electro/Old School Hip-Hop 12"s at this store in Mannheim, Germany. It was the guy from Knightz Of Bass, Moe's store. Anyhow, the staff cracked open a St. Ides 40oz for me and my homie and poured it out in plastic cups like it was champagne! hahah! Funny guys...

peace.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    this is beer country after all