3-D printing and collecting

leonleon 883 Posts
edited June 2015 in Strut Central
Recently i read some articles about 3D printing. They're printing all kinds of stuff now, from parts of the human body to metal bridges. Lenzes for glasses and camera's. Guns.
Will we be able to 'copy' a rare? Will we be able to notice the difference? AKA Will my collection of cardboard and pieces of plastic somehow be valueless when errybody can print the stuff?

Maybe. What ye think?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    There will always be people who fetishize and place $$ value on your OGs.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Zero effect on collecting old stuff.

Currently a revolution in arts and crafts with people turning out their own key chains.

Also currently allowing industrial engineers to do mock ups of designs.

Most 3-d printers today are only doing hard plastic.

In the future it could mean the manufacture of some things will be completely decentralized. Latch on your door broke? Make a replacement on your 3-d printer.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I imagine it's still cheaper and easier to just repress vinyl the old-fashioned way and will be for a while. It would be kinda cool though if you could start 3d printing anything on vinyl, everybody could have their own one off 45 etc.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Okem said:
    It would be kinda cool though if you could start 3d printing anything on vinyl, everybody could have their own one off 45 etc.
    I can imagine this happening. I suspect we only scratched the surface in printing. Bio printing and local manufacturing will have a big impact i think.
    The Smell Test for sniffing out an OG will still stand in 50 years :-)

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts

Vids been out a minute.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^^ nice I was reading through this thinking of that video and before I could head over to the toob's for some linkage, BAM! there you are..

that video has been out for a while though, I'd love an update to see if the process has gotten better or if they have made on process on quality..