Post-Modern Soul...?

12346»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 211994 within before Neo-Soul Hit and NJS is evaporating.b, 21b, 21Check the Marvin Gaye influence.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Forgot about this thread this one is great.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    surprised to see no womack&womackb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Good work, dude.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

Around what year did post modern end? I'm not saying this is a slowjam THIS IS CLASSIC WHATEVERYOUCALLIT, but are the floaters as some say, on these NJS albums called "SLOWJAMZ" or still considered post modern soul?

Jroam said:
    Around what year did post modern end? I'm not saying this is a slowjam THIS IS CLASSIC WHATEVERYOUCALLIT, but are the floaters as some say, on these NJS albums called "SLOWJAMZ" or still considered post modern soul?

Good Question. Let me get back to you.

Jroam said:

Nah - this is Urban Sample steez despite it being a Soul singer.

I'd say if fizzled out by the mid 90's. By then I dont think your could hear R&B w/out a sample or Post NJS drumbeat that has Hip Hoppity patterns.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    '87 Milwaukee soul majesty

BOMP

Cosmo said:
    im way not an expert, but i always felt that there was some sort of divide from what we call modern soul, which to me is not r e a l l y different from "80s rnb" (though '80s rnb' does go later i guess), and 'todays' soul, which id define as rnb of the modern hip hop era that isnt hip-hop: d'angelo, jill scott, john legend, etc. that to me would be "post modern soul" the way post modern art was the label given to art after "modern art" sort of ended. but thats just me.

Fools just added the "modern" part to the whole equation recently. It's always just been R&B. But There's a definitive sound that was like a "coming out of the 70s" boogie like sound and a "stepping in the New Jack Swing era" sound that is right between these sounds that I THINK Batmon is getting at... right dude?

hello

Im looking for Post-Modern Soul subset sound (Proto-Hip Hop Soul©).......

Was Jody Whatley' Friends just hard R&B w/ a Rapper and/or was the backing music Hip Hopish?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    So grown up and official:

Lillo Thomas is my shit:

1986 -- last year for Moder Soul?

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Yeah, that Lillo Thomas is choice... especially the 12" version.

Not sure if I'm way off base here, but these immediately came to mind:

Stephanie Mills - "(You're Puttin') A Rush On Me" ('87)
    Roberta Flack - "Oasis" ('88)

And this one's a personal favorite. It's a little early but I think its in the ballpark. This 12" has the vocal and inst back to back, on beat, so that it works as one long groove:

Keni Stevens - "Night Moves (Ultra Sensual Mix)" ('85)

And I second the first Surface album!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts