Designs for record stands

edited December 2014 in Strut Central
Hello,
I am looking for any help/ideas for record storage designs. I am looking for something along the lines of when you go into a vinyl store and browse. I want to flip through the albums front to back and not have to look at them from the side, like using the Ikea shelves. I am sure there is a simple idea, but I am not much of a carpenter. The design I am looking for is along the lines of the below picture, but I think $1,200 is insane for what I want. Any direction would be helpful.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Are you the guy or the girl in the pic? if u cant look at that picture and make that rack then you should start saving up money. A lot of record store stuff is custom made.

• Those legs are way too spindly.

• poor elbows

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    The legs on that record stand don't look sturdy and balanced enough imo. If you're going to build something like that, use the space beneath it as well. I don't see how that would cost $1200 unless you're using some super expensive wood.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    volumen said:
    Are you the guy or the girl in the pic? if u cant look at that picture and make that rack then you should start saving up money.

:pasue:

• Here's some plans I found:

Straight board (3)
    Bigger straight board
    Angled boards (2)
    Orange metals (27)

They have these boards and metals at The local construction site.

Cut boards using a tool of your choice.
    Tape metal to big woods and then put more tape on it. Use a hammer to make sure the tape is in place. Hammer again. The old rule of "tape once, hammer twice" is so true! Leave upside down for a week. Check for stability and fill with 3-5 records.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the 80s I had some one build me a big unit.
    I think it had 5 rows, about 16" deep for flipping through.
    Under were expedite type shelves.
    It held a lot of records and weighed a ton.

Now I have banquet tables with storage boxes on top, just like being at a record show. Used banquet table $20.00, storage boxes a dollar three eighty.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Bought 2x4 Expedit a couple months ago. It's call Kallsomethingorother, but it's an Expedit. 70 bucks comeonbro still can't be beat.

• You can probably make these fairly simply out of plywood or white wood. A local carpenter could probably make you something awesome for way less than the one listed above. Or you can come up with some simple plans of your own. You could have the hardware store do all the cuts and you could just assemble.