Classic Albums Re-Released as 45's

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited July 2014 in Strut Central
I saw Donuts, then Criminal Minded, and now Wild Style.

Not sure if I'm getting this trend.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

For those who really want to have to work for it to listen to a whole album.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I think it's kind of silly, and I'm a resident at an all-45s party.

But then again, as a resident at an all-45s party, I do appreciate having some of this stuff on 45.

But then again, I don't actually play much of it at said all-45s party because it's pretty much guaranteed that somebody else on the bill that night will, so why bother?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Is it just for playing out the previously quiet album cuts, or fetishizing the 7" format? I can see the functionality aspect as a lot of rap albums (for example) were mastered too quiet for DJing.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    the Dilla and BDP releases didn't really interest me but the Wild Style release looks pretty damn cool

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    the Dilla and BDP releases didn't really interest me but the Wild Style release looks pretty damn cool

same....i never kneow there was a wildstyle one actually bout to go and see if i can cop a copy actually... i almost got the BDP, but i mean how friggin copies does one person need to have...

the BDP is kinda messed up in that they have a cassette, CD, Picture disc, limited edition vinyl release, thumbdrive 9mm USB, hats, t-shirts, 45 box set, all tracks a few years ago were released as 12' singles...BDP over-fuckin-kill

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    fetishizing the 7" format?

It's about 90% this.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I think the wild style is basically a book and reedits. Plus, was there an official release of the instrumentals? That box is the breakbeats, not the soundtrack.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah I got a copy of it, too dope to turn down

****THIS IS A PRE ORDER ITEM AND WILL SHIP 8/12/14

KAY-DEE RECORDS, the online store and label owned and operated by Kenny Dope, takes things to the next level with the debut of its ÔÇ£Book Series.ÔÇØ KennyÔÇÖs vision for Kay-DeeÔÇÖs first book was to create a premium set with a mix of well-known and never-before-seen ÔÇ£Wild StyleÔÇØ photos, in addition to liner notes detailing the stories behind the music of one of his favorite films. Teaming up with GET ON DOWN, the record label and online boutique dedicated to presenting and celebrating music with unique packaging and exclusive extras, the two have come together to release this impressive and historically-significant musical trophy item:
    The Wild Style Breakbeats
    The book features the following elements:
    ÔÇó 13 songs total, spread out over seven ÔÇ£big holeÔÇØ 45s (each with a different label color)
    ÔÇó Re-EQed audio with re-edited / extended audio versions of each song, modified from original source tapes
    ÔÇó Extensive liner notes in a 28-page book, including dozens of images ÔÇô from ÔÇ£Wild StyleÔÇØ director Charlie Ahearn, among other sources ÔÇô as well as interviews with Fab 5 Freddy, Chris Stein and GrandWizzard Theodore
    ÔÇó The 14th side (the B-side of the seventh 45) features unique etchings with different ÔÇ£Wild StyleÔÇØ graphics
    ÔÇó Unique ÔÇ£Kay-Dee CasebookÔÇØ packaging ÔÇô all seven 7-inches fit into a book as self-contained pages

• I think did a bizarre ride to the pharcyde also on colored 45.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Pharcyde was 45 replicas of all of their 12 inch singles, not the album. Also came with new stuff.

Not to be the defender of the ultra box set company, many of which are sort of silly.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Duderonomy said:
    fetishizing the 7" format?

It's about 90% this.

Agreed. Which is funny because it completely goes against the traditional original pressings only standard.