Egon showing off his record collection on Boiler Room

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited July 2014 in Strut Central

First half is great psych stuff from all over the world. Second half is mostly african music. I enjoyed it a lot and discovered a lot of records I didn't know before. Dude has an impeccable taste in music.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What a boring watch, this would be better as a podcast

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    45 minutes in, the sounds are cool and interesting but nothing im really sweating that much or would truly work hard to seek out.
    the video format is very odd and out of context. im just using this as background context and tuning back in for a second when egon starts talking.

still, i always appreciate when deep dudes like egon share some obscure shit with the public. hopefully something in the next hour knocks my socks off

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Thanks for posting this! I'm enjoying it a lot.

I certainly agree that it's a but weird as a video. What a waste of bandwidth!! lol

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the 2nd african song is pretty fuckin tough!!!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    What a waste of bandwidth!! lol

I fully agree. But it's nice to see the covers, though.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    It's great. Can't think of a better way of playing the music and showing the covers at the same time and it's easy to keep this in another tab or in the background - I wouldn't be mad if they did it every week. By the way, if anyone did like the Yugoslavian stuff, that Drugi Na─ìin is solid the whole way through and the first Drago Mlinarec record, which he doesn't play, is really good too.

• his recent mix for the gilles peterson mix is great, i don't know how rare it is but it bumps.

TRACKLIST

Neoton - Gyere Álom (Pepita)
    Karl Hector & The Malcouns - Kaifa Part 1 (Now Again Records)
    The J.B.'s - The Power Of Love (White Label)
    Eye Q - I Am Selfish (White Label)
    Ngozi Family Band - Sunka Mulamu (White Label)
    Stars of Liberty - Power To The People (White People)
    Madlib - Selections from Rock Konducta Vol. 2 (Stones Throw)
    J Dilla - Give 'Em What They Want (Pay Jay)
    Stephen David Heitkotter -- Untitled (Now Again)
    Fabiano do Nascimento & Airto Moreira - Minha Cirandar

there's a 3 part video interview if you're so inclined

On a recent trip to London, Egon, General Manager and A&R of Stones Throw Records, and owner of Now Again Records, discusses his entry into the music industry, heading west to join Peanut Butter Wolf, and then working on the Madlib, Quasimoto, Aloe Blacc and Mayer Hawthorne projects.

Egon also discusses his early life in Connecticut, and how he got seriously into record collecting through hip hop and sampling.

Whilst at the Brownswood Basement, Egon also recorded a Worldwide Family Mixtape for Gilles Peterson's radio show.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    oh lord halp us from this elite celebrity dj collectro doody

• MowgliMowgli 19 Posts
    kala said:
    oh lord halp us from this elite celebrity dj collectro doody

i dont know man. egon seems like a pretty sincere dude who is in it for all the same reasons dudes on these forums are - for the love of good music rare or common. not seeing him coming off as elite necessarily. pretentiousness definitely comes with the game inherently.

how elaborate he goes into condition, pressing, and rarity gets a bit kooky but wahtever. took him like a minute to get one record back in its sleeve but i thought it was kinda funny.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    from friends experience meeting him, he's an arrogant douche